Converting a Non-B Visa to Non-O Based on Marriage

Background

Living and working in Thailand on a Non-B visa with a work permit due to expire later this year. There will be no problem in getting an extension on either the Visa or Work Permit.

Been married to a Thai national a long long time.

Due to retire in about 1 year - to be fixed with my employer.

Questions.

If I leave my job on a Non-B due I need to leave the Country within a certain period of time ?

Can I convert my Non-B to a Non-O based on marriage now, or at  the next extension ?

Is it sensible to do the conversion prior to my retirement ?

Thanks

Mike

You cannot change from a non-b visa to a non-o visa and you do have to do it.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from working to marriage when your current extension is near ending or if your job ended.

You will need to meet the financial requirements for a extension based upon marriage that are 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. If still working you could use your income from your job.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:03 PM, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change from a non-b visa to a non-o visa and you do have to do it.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from working to marriage when your current extension is near ending or if your job ended.

You will need to meet the financial requirements for a extension based upon marriage that are 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. If still working you could use your income from your job.

@Ubonjoe - Thanks - so having the extension of stay based on marriage will mean that I dont need to leave the country when I retire ? 

1 hour ago, mikey99 said:

@Ubonjoe - Thanks - so having the extension of stay based on marriage will mean that I dont need to leave the country when I retire ? 

Yes 

A extension of stay based upon marriage is not tied to you having a work permit and working.

I have a question about the marriage visa requirements:

One of the requirements is a copy of your wife's house book and ID. Does this mean her house book where she was born or where you are living now because we are living in a rented house and the owner has the house book not my wife.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, SaamBaht said:

One of the requirements is a copy of your wife's house book and ID. Does this mean her house book where she was born or where you are living now because we are living in a rented house and the owner has the house book not my wife.

The house book registry is not for where you are living. It is the one for where your wife is registered.

You will need signed copies of the owners house book, ID card and a copy of the rental agreement.