Covid-19 insurance for expats living in Thailand

federicoP

Does anybody know if there is a reasonable insurance policy that covers only covid-19 related treatments and that could be subscribed while here in Thailand ?
The policy subscribed to get the COE is intended only for inbound travelers and not for residents.

I am already covered for other problems, but not for Covid, and I would not like to buy one more complete health coverage.

23 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Does your current health insurance contract cover only a specific list of illnesses and conditions?

I am already covered by a mutual fund that reimburses me a part of the expenses incurred, and already paid, by me. 

This is ok for me, but in case of Covid I would prefer to have a separate, and complete, coverage.

In the beginning of the pandemic, many bank were selling dedicated Covid-19 insurance policies for less than 1000 baht per year. Call your bank and ask if they still sell this kind of policies.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Buy Coronavirus (COVID-19) insurance online! | Roojai.com insurance

Many thanks, but I understand that the coverage for the hospital treatment is limited to 100,000 baht, that is not so high and probably not sufficient in a private hospital.
Is my understanding correct ?

1 hour ago, federicoP said:

Many thanks, but I understand that the coverage for the hospital treatment is limited to 100,000 baht, that is not so high and probably not sufficient in a private hospital.

The link on the Roojai website that claims to lead to policy wording only links to a very incomplete summary of some of the terms, so it is not possible to determine exactly what it covers. Having said that, it appears to be a personal accident or dreaded disease policy that will pay a lump sum if one's Covid-19 infection leads to death or another specific type of permanent disability.  Coverage for medical expenses for the treatment of Covid-19 symptoms is limited to baht 50,000 or 100,000 depending upon the plan selected. It is not clear from the information presented whether the policy would cover costs incurred for medically unnecessary hospitalization currently required by public health policy if one tests positive for Covid-19. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It is not clear from the information presented whether the policy would cover costs incurred for medically unnecessary hospitalization currently required by public health policy if one tests positive for Covid-19. 

That's an important point. 

My health insurance policy has COVID-19 cover, however they cover the costs for treatment only if it is deemed medically necessary and ordered by a physician.

I am now looking for a new insurer that would cover the costs of mandatory hospitalisation even if asymptomatic and admitted to a "hospitel" hotel.

Edited by seasiaman
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, federicoP said:

The insurance covers you for government hospital not private hospital I took one out last year in late March for 850 baht unfortunately the insurer didn’t send me a reminder for renewal and I had forgotten to put it on my Callander so found myself having to look for another Covid policy which I did with the same cover the only difference was that this year you now have to wait for 14 days after taking out the policy before you get cover whereas last year it was immediate cover . Hope this helps 

• Thanks 1