Moving to Pattaya

dsmiththailand

Wife and I will be retiring to Pattaya in September 2021 and debating if we should do AIRBnB/hotel for two weeks while looking for a house to rent long term (seems this will put us under some pressure to find a place in two weeks) or stay in a hotel for 3 nights when we first arrive and then rent a temporary house for one month, and then look for a long term house to rent long term. Your thoughts?  If we decide to rent a house for one month, which real estate company/agent is best?  Again Thanks for your comments and feedback.

Why the 2 week limit in a hotel/Airbnb, why not stay in a hotel/airbnb for as long as it takes. Most will do a monthly rate, no leases, elec bills to worry about, everything is included, its cleaned each day etc.

Most rentals are done informally, not through agents. You will find more just driving around or places like local facebook groups, buy/sell websites etc

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Why the 2 week limit in a hotel/Airbnb, why not stay in a hotel/airbnb for as long as it takes. Most will do a monthly rate, no leases, elec bills to worry about, everything is included, its cleaned each day etc.

Most rentals are done informally, not through agents. You will find more just driving around or places like local facebook groups, buy/sell websites etc

We love Pattaya. I cannot count the number of times we have stayed in Pattaya (NaKlua to Bang saray) over the past 20 years and have finally decided to make it official.  It seems that Airbnb has a lot to offer for one month rentals, which will avoid the agents.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

We love Pattaya. I cannot count the number of times we have stayed in Pattaya (NaKlua to Bang saray) over the past 20 years and have finally decided to make it official.  It seems that Airbnb has a lot to offer for one month rentals, which will avoid the agents.

when was your last visit to the city?

If it was more than 1 year ago, you should find a lot of changes

and not in a good way.

With no any internatinal tourism since 1 year all the fun is gone, most of the venues are closed with ''for rent'' and ''for sale'' sign everywhere

more than half of the Thai people have already fleed the city, it's a ghost town now

Unfortunately i don't think any improvment of this situation can be expected before at least the end of 2021, and more likely middle 2022anyway nobody really know at the moment about the future

And i agree with the others you should take at least 1 month in a rental condo to take your time to chose a place to stay. 

Try to limit your search to a particular area and walk in to spot the ''for rent'' signs with a telephon number on it.

The facebook groups and agents can give you an idea of

the market, but they are not the cheapest.

Try Marketplace and Bathsold to have something more realist.

Edited by kingofthemountain

18 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

when was your last visit to the city?

If it was more than 1 year ago, you should find a lot of changes

and not in a good way.

With no any internatinal tourism since 1 year all the fun is gone, most of the venues are closed with ''for rent'' and ''for sale'' sign everywhere

more than half of the Thai people have already fleed the city, it's a ghost town now

Unfortunately i don't think any improvment of this situation can be expected before at least the end of 2021, and more likely middle 2022anyway nobody really know at the moment about the future

And i agree with the others you should take at least 1 month in a rental condo to take your time to chose a place to stay. 

Try to limit your search to a particular area and walk in to spot the ''for rent'' signs with a telephon number on it.

The facebook groups and agents can give you an idea of

the market, but they are not the cheapest.

Try Marketplace and Bathsold to have something more realist.

We were last there in 2019 before moving to Vietnam which we currently reside for the past two years.  We love it here also but Pattaya continues to call us back every time.

1 minute ago, dsmiththailand said:

We were last there in 2019 before moving to Vietnam which we currently reside for the past two years.  We love it here also but Pattaya continues to call us back every time.

Well be prepared for a shock about the state of the city you are going to find here

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/for-sale-signs-outnumber-tourists-in-pattaya-350587

If you are old and enjoy a quiet life on the beach\swimming pool side it should be ok. 

If you are younger and enjoy the vibrant nightlife and the multiples activities in a cosmopolitan crowded city, i am afraid you will be disapointed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Well be prepared for a shock about the state of the city you are going to find here

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/for-sale-signs-outnumber-tourists-in-pattaya-350587

If you are old and enjoy a quiet life on the beach\swimming pool side it should be ok. 

If you are younger and enjoy the vibrant nightlife and the multiples activities in a cosmopolitan crowded city, i am afraid you will be disapointed

we are younger but love the pool/beach with two adopted dogs and bbq and beer all day... we have been to Bali last year and you can't get worse then that place so Pattaya will do us just fine until the crowds come back in 2023.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

we are younger but love the pool/beach with two adopted dogs and bbq and beer all day... we have been to Bali last year and you can't get worse then that place so Pattaya will do us just fine until the crowds come back in 2023.

Compare Bali to Pattaya and Pattaya comes off best? Oh dear. 

12 hours ago, dsmiththailand said:

I know Bali and it has a lot of positives, although the traffic problems make Pattaya look like a racetrack. 

Since you've been here before, have you narrowed down what part you'd like to stay in?  Naklua, Central, Dark side, Jomtien, Bang Saray, Hua Yai?

If not sure, maybe somewhere on the dark side but near the RR tracks.  Easy access to Suk and you can easily go north or south from there.

LOTS of rentals available right now.  Negotiate hard.  My friend's contract just ended and he was offered a 50% discount to stay for another year.  Incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

Ah yes. So I was wrong. Not all the changes are good.  

We loved our narrow beach, non-existent when the tides are strong.

But they'll also widen the road, so it won't be one lane on busy weekends with all the big buses parked near the end of Beach road.  That will be fantastic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newnative said:

There are some nice areas on the Darkside.  The Lake Mabprachan area is gaining popularity with its scenery, parks, nice golf courses, and a new paved bike and walking trail along the lake. 

I have been going out there more.  There are some really good restaurants out there.  And the girls are much friendlier also.

I actually see it as a growth spot over the next 10 years probably get more appreciation on property then in the city.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have been going out there more.  There are some really good restaurants out there.  And the girls are much friendlier also.

I actually see it as a growth spot over the next 10 years probably get more appreciation on property then in the city.   

I agree.

Don't use an agent. Every man woman and their dog is an agent in Pattaya. Just look around yourself and contact the numbers shown on suitable properties. We have a bungalow for rent and are contacted every week by so called agents who just drive around pretending they have a customer ready to move in if we would just send photos and would we reduce the rent provide a tv accept a short rent etc etc. An appointment then reveals no such prospective tenant exists. We charge a much higher rent through an agent and a bigger deposit so we cover their fee. Won't take you long to find something. Properties for rent everywhere. The minute you tell a Thai you are looking they will morph into an agent! Look just outside Pattaya as 10 mins away will give you a better deal.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

But they'll also widen the road, so it won't be one lane on busy weekends with all the big buses parked near the end of Beach road.  That will be fantastic.

Also saw youtube videos of all the street wires being taken down and put underground...Huge improvement.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dsmiththailand said:

Also saw youtube videos of all the street wires being taken down and put underground...Huge improvement.

Have you seen what they're doing from about Floating Market down to Bang Saray?  A huge highway project.  Probably 2 years to finish.  4 big flyovers also!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 1:34 AM, dsmiththailand said:

Naklua Bang Saray, then you know these are two different areas?  Naklua long term unless it is a gated community. Bang Saray is nice plenty of places for sale and rent right off the bench I go there once a month with the family to relax it is a bit out of the ways unless you love to be in the City?

I suggest going down the far end of Jomtien, end of the bench there is a road that leads back up to Sukhumvit before Sukhumvit take a right plenty of Condos and Houses there to rent.

If you are interested East side refer to as the Darkside,  inventory is so great even before the virus!

Good luck,

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Don't use an agent.

I dunno I have found the useful on the renter side. They drive you around at no charge in their vehicle until you find a place, speak Thai and help ensure you get your deposit back. The ones I have used are worth paying a bit more for and I always get my deposit back.

Don't bother an agent for a one month rental. They are a 6 month or 1 year deal. Airbnb for one month.

"I always get my deposit back"

Edited by DerbyDan