Moving to Pattaya

dsmiththailand

As many have said before, don't use an agent.  Their commission comes from the rent you pay.  Instead, do the work yourself and look for something that you like in an area that you want to be in.  Check out online sources such as facebook groups and others.  If you need to rent a car for a week or two do that so you can check out areas on your own.  Don't be afraid to ask for a reduced rent and also be prepared to walk if you can't get the price you want.  I would suggest renting a place for a month while you do this.  

Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 1:26 AM, Hanuman2547 said:

As many have said before, don't use an agent.  Their commission comes from the rent you pay.  Instead, do the work yourself and look for something that you like in an area that you want to be in.  Check out online sources such as facebook groups and others.  If you need to rent a car for a week or two do that so you can check out areas on your own.  Don't be afraid to ask for a reduced rent and also be prepared to walk if you can't get the price you want.  I would suggest renting a place for a month while you do this.  

Good Luck!

The only thing i do not agree with here ,is not to use an agent ,use a good one ,you for one thing will find far more properties , we did both ,drive around and used an agent ,it was him who came up trumps after weeks of searching ,mind you if your looking to rent a condo at any time most have advert boards ,houses are harder to find.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

The only thing i do not agree with here ,is not to use an agent ,use a good one ,you for one thing will find far more properties , we did both ,drive around and used an agent ,it was him who came up trumps after weeks of searching ,mind you if your looking to rent a condo at any time most have advert boards ,houses are harder to find.

I also recommend covering BOTH bases and get a reputable agent AND do some foot-sleuthing on your own.

I did this a few years back when relocating for my lads schooling. The agent had a listing we visited that looked really good and checked the size and location boxes. It was furnished with decent quality stuff though which was not ideal for us as we had a couple of small dogs. I went back a few days later myself for a second look and to take pictures of the outside to share with Mrs NL who was up-country. It was a hot afternoon so I parked around the corner under a shade tree. Walking back to my truck, I noticed the house behind the one we had looked at had a "rent and number" sign on the gate. I called the number and twenty minutes later, that home's agent sent the owners maid over with keys (they had a property in an adjacent village). It was an identical 3-bed, 2-bath house but being unfurnished, it was about 4000 baht/month cheaper with no need to worry about the owners furniture.

Sold!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:
43 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Meanwhile, you are touting Chachoengsao?

What?  Don't know the place and never been there.

Oops, sorry 'bout that. I thought you lived "north of the Darkside, up Chonburi way."

Maybe that was the other pilot guy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Recommended source of 1-month rentals please.

Condo hotels? Not recommending but I did  monthly rentals at The Residence Garden and Nova Park many years ago and similar places there are now many of. You have someone to talk to if you have issues, AirBnb, less so. 

• Like 2