Late 70's. What are my chances?

I'm a wrinkly in my late 70's. Have been married to a Thai for 15 years and we have spent most of those years in the UK. Now we have a reasonable nest egg and looking into our options.

We have a house in the UK, and my wife's family, who are not strapped for cash, have an empty house in a gated community near Bangkok for our exclusive use.

Unless a lump sum cash will do the trick I doubt if I would ever get a visa since health insurance would likely be out of the question in view of my age.

However, a short while ago I read somewhere about a travellers visa for 6 months each year to cater for those who followed the sun. I haven't seen any reference to this since and wondered if anyone here can fill me in. 6 months summer in the UK and 6 months winter in Thailand would be ideal.

I welcome any help

Thank you

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Thank you, Ubojoe, for clearing that up. I was under the impression that health insurance was obligatory.

You would only need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance for 90 days if you apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I'd suggest the OP start vetting visa agents as soon as he arrives in Thailand, whether he ultimately decides to use one or not.

When my contract ended and my WP expired, I made the mistake of waiting until I knew I'd need the help of a visa agent to extend my stay.  By that time, one or two deadlines had passed to move money, leave enough time on my visa to get the paperwork, etc.  That made the process more difficult, even for the agent.  I should have started the process months earlier, and may not have even needed the agent's help.  (I ended up not staying in Thailand, favoring short stays between trips to China and Malaysia and the USA- then Covid hit).

Ask expats you meet for agent recommendations, contact them and get a feel for them and get their advice before you figure out whether you're going to need them.  That part of the process costs nothing.    Start right away, then decide later whether you need to pay for their services, or want to do it on your own.  Don't dawdle until it gets urgent.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking he could come Visa Exempt, then apply for an Non-O extension to visit his wife, then ultimately the full 1 Year extension for reason of marriage (with re-entry permit to allow 6 months here + 6 months UK).

Or maybe if funds permit go for extension based on retirement in lieu of marriage (again with re-entry permit).

Maybe my thinking is wrong, I look forward to correction so long as it contains reason why.

Once you are here using an agent is always an option, but not really necessary if you're prepared to put a little effort in, in lieu of money.

An option you could look into is the Thailand Elite membership. That would be more expensive than some of the other options suggested above. However, it is hassle free once the initial membership application is accepted.

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

In the whole scheme of things, using an agent is an easy fix.

really only need an agent for 2 reason:
You have a real aversion to visiting official offices

you dont have the baht in the bank

foreverlomsak  offers the best solution for staying here

arrive on visa exempt, ( 45 days) get a 60 day extension for staying with wife (gives u time to season your 400,000)
apply for 1 year extension.,

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

I was thinking he could come Visa Exempt, then apply for an Non-O extension to visit his wife, then ultimately the full 1 Year extension for reason of marriage (with re-entry permit to allow 6 months here + 6 months UK).

Or maybe if funds permit go for extension based on retirement in lieu of marriage (again with re-entry permit).

You left applying for a 90 day non-o visa required to apply for a one year extension. The 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day the application is done. Then after the money has been in the bank for 2 months apply for the one year extension. No need for a 60 day extension.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You left applying for a 90 day non-o visa required to apply for a one year extension. The 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day the application is done. Then after the money has been in the bank for 2 months apply for the one year extension. No need for a 60 day extension.

Yup, wrote Non-O extension in lieu of Non-O visa, what I meant.

14 hours ago, Holloway said:

Thank you, Ubojoe, for clearing that up. I was under the impression that health insurance was obligatory.

You can also apply initially for a non-O visa for retirement on the grounds of being in receipt of the State Pension (which I assume that you are):-

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

Just bear in mind, though, that your State Pension will be frozen after you have moved to Thailand! However it will still be possible for you to apply for retirement extensions in due course without needing a suitable health insurance policy, which is only mandatory for those with starting non-OA visas.

• Confused 1

Thanks very much for the feed-back everyone. No, we don't intend to move for a while until this Covid thing settles down.

The visa exempt route seems to be a good idea but I see that I need a return ticket to show that I will be flying out of Thailand within the prescribed time.

Since health insurance would no longer be an issue would the best way be to apply for the 3 months retirement visa in the UK?

Just now, Holloway said:

Sorry, just noticed Ubonjoe comment that insurance needed for "retirement" visa.

So, I assume if I apply for "marriage" visa while in UK insurance will not be needed?

Insurance is not required for a non-o visa based upon marriage.

The insurance for the non-o visa for retirement may be dropped when there is no longer a requirement for a certificate of entry.

• Like 2

Go to the Thai Embassy in UK and apply for a 90 day Non-Immigrant "O" visa based on marriage then as soon as you arrive in Thailand open a Thai bank account and deposit 400,000B in it and then 30 days before you visa expires apply for your 12 month extension based on marriage to a Thai national. This way it will give you time for the money to season plus it will give you a Thai address for your extension application that you have been living at and that will also help you with the neighbours as witnesses for your extension application

• Like 1

Apart from the options above, there isn't a visa that gives you 6 months stay but there is one that will give you 5 months.  Apply for a single entry Non O based on marriage to a Thai national to the Thai Embassy in London - providing you enter before the last day of that visa you will be stamped in for 90 days when you arrive in Thailand. Towards the end of that visa go to the local immigration office and apply for a 60 day extension - you will need to take your wife with you to get 60 days.  If you plan to do this ongoing, when the Covid crisis is over you should be able to exit and re-enter visa exempt for another 30 days.

With that visa the only insurance you will require is the Covid 19 insurance that you need to arrange for 90 days, starting on the day you actually plan to enter.  Make sure get the timings right as I believe it can take up to 15 days to obtain a C.O.E - although a friend just got his in 4 days.

Long term, if 5 months is not enough, there's also the option of a 12 month Multi Entry Non O but they are no longer available in London and the countries where you can get one are currently closed. When available that visa will give you unlimited 90 day entries for 12 months - all of which can be extended for 60 days or you can leave and re-enter - each time getting another 90 days.  That may seem like hassle but unlike the 12 month extension option, you don't need to put 400,000 in the bank and the paperwork is minimal.

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

You can also apply initially for a non-O visa for retirement on the grounds of being in receipt of the State Pension (which I assume that you are):-

Just bear in mind, though, that your State Pension will be frozen after you have moved to Thailand! However it will still be possible for you to apply for retirement extensions in due course without needing a suitable health insurance policy, which is only mandatory for those with starting non-OA visas.

My UK state pension has been frozen at £360 a month because I've lived here sixteen years.  If the recipient spends 6 months in UK each year it will not be frozen.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, foreverlomsak said:

I think you meant, enter VE, apply for 60 day extension to visit Thai wife, then apply for Non O, then apply for 1 year extension for reason of marriage (with re-entry permit to allow 6 months here + 6 months UK).

1. Entering VE he would need a ticket out within 30 days.

2. By the time he applied for a 60 day extension and a Non O he would have already been here for 6 months (45 + 60 +90 = 195 days).

3. It would require 5 visits to his local Immigration office to obtain a 1 year extension based on marriage.

4. Why apply for 60 day extension when he can apply directly for the Non O. (400K in bank).

5. Why would you apply for an extension based on retirement requiring 800K, when married to a Thai and only needing 400K.

You've definitely overcomplicated the situation.

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Is this the visa where they come into your home to inspect? You call it aversion to official offices, I call it my treat to myself. I'm worth it.

In my area I'd say the majority of foreigners use an agent.

If like you they think they apply for a Visa, then better to use an agent because they obviously don't understand Thai Immigration.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If like you they think they apply for a Visa, then better to use an agent because they obviously don't understand Thai Immigration.

Ooooh bad man said visa instead of extension. Get over yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

Currently Health Insurance is also mandatory for new Non O applications based on retirement and re-entry permits from a 1 year extension based on retirement.

No Health Insurance requirement based on marriage applications.

15 hours ago, Holloway said:

Sorry, just noticed Ubonjoe comment that insurance needed for "retirement" visa.

So, I assume if I apply for "marriage" visa while in UK insurance will not be needed?

A Non O Visa based on marriage. (No such thing as a Marriage Visa).

UJ has given the you the most helpful and correct advice,

Apply for the Non O Visa based on marriage from the Thai Embassy, London.

No Health Insurance required, just the Covid 19 Insurance which is available to anyone under 99 years of age and is only required to cover your permission of stay granted on entry. 

In your case on a Non O Visa, on entry you will be granted a permission of stay of 90 days.

Covid Insurance 6,400 baht. Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org)

After 7/10 day quarantine open a bank account (Savings or Fixed Term account) and deposit 400K.

Within the last 30 days of your 90 days granted on entry and when the 400K has 'seasoned' in a Thai bank for two months, you can apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage to a Thai at your local Immigration office.

Once your 1 year extension has been granted you can withdraw and spend the 400K.

Based on marriage the 400K is only required to be in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of submitting a 1 year extension application.

Your applying to extend your permission of stay for another year (not extending the Visa).

The cost is 1,900 baht.

At the same time apply for a single entry re-entry permit (1,000 baht). This allows you to exit Thailand and re-enter preserving any permission of stay already granted.

In practice, how this works as an example.

You obtain a Non O (valid 3 months) and enter Thailand 1/10/21. Granted permission of stay for 90 days until 29/12/21. As soon as your 400K has ben in place for 2 months apply for the 1 year extension, for example 15/12/21.

You will be granted permission of stay for 1 year from 30/12/21 until 29/12/22.

You return to the UK end of March 2022 (6 months) return Thailand 1/10/22. With the re-entry permit, you will be granted permission of stay until 29/12/22. (No need to apply for any further Visas).

Renew extension 30 days before 29/12/22 for another year.

Easiest and cheapest solution to staying in Thailand 6 months each year.

• Like 1