Late 70's. What are my chances?

You can get expat  insurance from some international companies at any age provided yo udo nto have any major pre-exisitng conditions. And I strongly advise doing so. Premiums of course cost more than at younger ages but can be significantly reduced by taking a deductible ("excess").

It is only the Thai companies that will not insure past 75.  Which is a problem in terms of O-A visa requirements. You may be able to use a foreign issued policy for the initial visa (if the company will sign the required certificate) but will not be able to do in-country extension.

One option is to not do an in-country extension but rather return to your home country for a new O-A visa. In that case you keep using your foreign issued expat policy to meet the requirement.

Or, as already advised, come in visa exempt or on tourist visa, convert to a non-O then get in-country extension of stay. In that case there is no insurance requirement (other than COVID cover initially) but you still need to consider what you will do in case of major medical expense (think in terms of as much as 3-5 million baht).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

My UK state pension has been frozen at £360 a month because I've lived here sixteen years.  If the recipient spends 6 months in UK each year it will not be frozen.

Quite, I was about to say the same. If planning to do 6 & 6 then it would be in his interest to retain UK residence.

Non O for 90 days and then 60 day is the easiest way to 5 months, a few days outside the county would get a bit more.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Non O for 90 days and then 60 day is the easiest way to 5 months, a few days outside the county would get a bit more.

He could stay here less than 6 months on a one year extension of stay. No need to apply for a new non-o visa and 60 day extension every trip.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He could stay here less than 6 months on a one year extension of stay. No need to apply for a new non-o visa and 60 day extension every trip.

Again distorted context by ignoring half the post.

Of course he could get a 12 month extension but why get unnecessarily involved in Thai bureaucracy. The OP was looking for suggestions and my suggestion would be he retains UK residence which strictly speaking would mean less than 6 months in Thailand.

12 month extensions are not everyone's cup of tea and may not be the most suitable option.

Again, thank you very much for all the input. Amazed at the number of possibilities. My original posting was the result of my concern about health insurance which has now been satisfied. Visa by way of marriage appears to be the obvious way.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Again distorted context by ignoring half the post.

Of course he could get a 12 month extension but why get unnecessarily involved in Thai bureaucracy.

And your suggestion of applying for a 60 day extension to get 5 months, then a border run to extend his stay again doesn't involve dealing with Thai bureaucracy.   ????

By applying initially for a Non O based on marriage from the Thai Embassy, he can then obtain a 1 year extension of stay each and every year, without further applications to the Embassy, border runs or 60 day extensions.

A 1 year extension allows more flexibility to come and go as it suits and minimises Thai bureaucracy. 

19 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Easiest and cheapest solution to staying in Thailand 6 months each year.

Obviously this can't be done whilst the restrictions due to the Pandemic are in place but in normal times I'd say a 12 Month Multi Non O will work out both cheaper and way easier for someone only wishing to stay 6 months.

Many 'live' in Thailand all the time that way - I don't condone that but the OP is not wishing to stay permanently, he will come and go.

When I say cheaper, I mean overall, the 1900 baht extension fee won't be the only expense - the air fare for my last trip to Ho Chin Minh to get a 12 month Multi was around 2500 return if I remember correctly (promotion fare). Of course we spent much more than that because I took my wife and we made a short trip of it. The OP may also like a short trip to see other parts of S.E. Asia.

Going down the extension route he will be subject to the house visit and photo scenario, money in the bank + other hassles depending on the office he deals with.  Worth it to stay 12 months stay but for 6? I'm also told that some offices try to pressure guys into applying for an extension based on retirement - so no house visit but more money in the bank.

If I wished to stay for 6 months each year - I'd enter on a 30 day exempt, extend it for 60 days (Thai wife), then shoot over to Vietnam or Laos, get a Multi Non O, back to Thailand for my last 3 month stint (extendable if I decide to stay a little longer).  Incidentally having done that once, the Multi will still be valid to enter the following year when I could enter for 150 days (90 + 60 extension) before leaving to get a new Multi.

The above subject of course to Multis remaining available.

Edited by KhaoYai

Past the covid situation and the age factor for insurance I would go the agent way,9500 plus 1900 baht is the cheapest Ive seen for retirement visa ,no money in the bank,then medical, far too expensive for 70 year old,but India is two hours,was 4500 return tix price,now no idea far and away, the cheapest and for me the better option for selective and elective medical treatment

Not just Thailand but every point on the globe you will find patients there undergoing treatment

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

If I wished to stay for 6 months each year - I'd enter on a 30 day exempt, extend it for 60 days (Thai wife), then shoot over to Vietnam or Laos, get a Multi Non O, back to Thailand for my last 3 month stint (extendable if I decide to stay a little longer).  Incidentally having done that once, the Multi will still be valid to enter the following year when I could enter for 150 days (90 + 60 extension) before leaving to get a new Multi.

It's another option, however I took into consideration the OP's age, late 70's and if I were in that position, I'd certainly want to do the least amount of travelling as possible once arriving in Thailand.

Your suggestion of obtaining a multi Non O incurs travel costs, 2 x Visa fees, at least 1 night hotel costs plus time.

The OP has funds, so for me obtaining the Non O in the UK, then a 1 year extension from Immigration is a no brainer.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Going down the extension route he will be subject to the house visit and photo scenario, money in the bank + other hassles depending on the office he deals with.  Worth it to stay 12 months stay but for 6?

It's not hassle at all, those that claim having to jump through hoops and over hurdles, probably complain going to an ATM for cash is also hassle.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm also told that some offices try to pressure guys into applying for an extension based on retirement - so no house visit but more money in the bank.

If you only show them 400K in the bank, they can't hassle you into an extension based on retirement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Past the covid situation and the age factor for insurance I would go the agent way,9500 plus 1900 baht is the cheapest Ive seen for retirement visa ,no money in the bank,then medical, far too expensive for 70 year old,but India is two hours,was 4500 return tix price,now no idea far and away, the cheapest and for me the better option for selective and elective medical treatment

Did you bother reading the OP and replies?

The OP is married to a Thai. No Health Insurance required for a Non O Visa based on marriage.

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The OP is married to a Thai. No Health Insurance required for a Non O Visa based on marriage.

Thank you for your input but  where did I quote medical insurance requirement?  Was an option if he ever needed medical treatment,and in that regard the the expense of medical insurance at his age

Once again  thank you for your input,but next time (if there is one don't bother)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, izod10 said:

Thank you for your input but  where did I quote medical insurance requirement?  Was an option if he ever needed medical treatment,and in that regard the the expense of medical insurance at his age

Everyone needs the Covid Insurance to enter Thailand.

It's not required for a 1 year extension from Immigration, but you'd have to be in Thailand in the first instance - even to use an agent.

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Everyone needs the Covid Insurance to enter Thailand.

It's not required for a 1 year extension from Immigration, but you'd have to be in Thailand in the first instance - even to use an agent.

"Past the covid situation"  is what I posted

Think you need to read your own posts and digest urgently

2 minutes ago, izod10 said:

"Past the covid situation"  is what I posted

Past the Covid situation, Covid Insurance won't be required, which only leaves Health Insurance, which again isn't required for  Non O Visa, or a 1 year extension when married to a Thai.

So the point of your original post is what exactly?

Most using an agent either don't understand or know what their doing or don't have sufficient funds to meet extension requirements. It's the typical response when you cant answer an OP's question through lack of knowledge - use an agent, I did. Duh!

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Past the Covid situation, Covid Insurance won't be required, which only leaves Health Insurance, which again isn't required for  Non O Visa, or a 1 year extension when married to a Thai.

So the point of your original post is what exactly?

Most using an agent either don't understand or know what their doing or don't have sufficient funds to meet extension requirements. It's the typical response when you cant answer an OP's question through lack of knowledge - use an agent, I did. Duh!

"most"" typical" "lack of knowledge" fine wording for grandstanding poster So you have" knowledge" absolute knowledge of a "typical" agent using farang  lol

Put it to bed sunny,I'm on income visa,best of the lot,and id be wary of putting any large amount of money into Thai banking system at this very moment 

So the point of your original post in reply, is what exactly?   ..and again where did I mention health insurance as a requirement?

Edited by izod10
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Holloway said:

Again, thank you very much for all the input. Amazed at the number of possibilities. My original posting was the result of my concern about health insurance which has now been satisfied. Visa by way of marriage appears to be the obvious way.

Why do you want to return for 6 months in the UK every year?

• Haha 1

Put it to bed sunny,I'm on income visa,best of the lot,and id be wary of putting any large amount of money into Thai banking system at this very moment 

You have an extension of stay permit (not a Visa) based on monthly overseas income.

5 minutes ago, izod10 said:

So the point of your original post in reply, is what exactly?

Your original post was completely irrelevant to the OP's situation.

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The agent thing sounds a bit sketchy.

Do you pay beforehand and just hand over your passport?

How do they show immigration a bank account with your name on it?

Are you sure it's a real sticker?

Edited by DerbyDan

2 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

I would check your sticker on that for fakes.

They are stamps, not stickers.

3 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

I can't see a Thai risking it to show fake docs at immigration.

What do you think your paying exorbitant fees to an agent for.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You have an extension of stay permit (not a Visa) based on monthly overseas income.

Your original post was completely irrelevant to the OP's situation.

"Unless a lump sum cash will do the trick I doubt if I would ever get a visa since health insurance would likely be out of the question in view of my age."

This is what the OP quoted,this is what I quoted in response

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

Past the covid situation and the age factor for insurance I would go the agent way,9500 plus 1900 baht is the cheapest Ive seen for retirement visa ,no money in the bank,then medical insurance, far too expensive for 70 year old,but India is two hours,was 4500 return tix price,now no idea far and away, the cheapest and for me the better option for selective and elective medical treatment

Highly relevant I would suggest in his predicament,plus large amount of money in Thai banking system could be at risk......now off you go,more dribble..

Edited by izod10

15 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

I would check your sticker on that for fakes. I can't see a Thai risking it to show fake docs at immigration.

The particular agent is actually based in the immigration area,alongside it

Edited by izod10

Highly relevant I would suggest in his predicament,plus large amount of money in Thai banking system......now off you go,more dribble..

Your post was highly irrelevant as I previously stated.

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

1. The OP is in the UK and has to apply online through the E-Visa application system at the Thai Embassy in London.

2. His Visa application will be based on marriage, not 'retirement' (as you quoted) and Health Insurance is not required.

3. Even if he applied based on retirement he would have great difficult obtaining such Insurance due to his age.

4. How does an agent even come into the above procedure.

Once entering Thailand, he would apply for for a 1 year extension of his permission of stay granted at entry ( a permit, not a Visa) and again no Health Insurance required based on marriage.

Cost 1,900 baht. Why would he need the service of an agent, if he has sufficient funds and legally married.

Health Insurance is only required for those applying for a long term Visa, Non O-A, Non O-X, for STV's, new Non O applications and those with re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement. 

The Health Insurance is also required for extensions of stay based on an entry from a Non O-A, O-X, or STV Visa.

The OP does not fall into any of those types, is not applying based on retirement and doesn't require Health Insurance as a condition for the Visa, or the subsequent extension of stay.

26 minutes ago, izod10 said:

The particular agent is actually based in the immigration area,alongside it

In my case as I'm sure is the same for all, a photo must be taken at the Immigration office. For me hand over passport and bank book, after a week go to immigration with agent walk in take pic and passport with extension handed to me by same IO, all less than 5 min. and done.

• Like 1