Bang Bon field hospital opens to accept first 10 COVID-19 patients

snoop1130

S__3104861.jpg

The field hospital in Bangkok’s Bang Bon district received its first group of 10 COVID-19 patients today (Tuesday). Dr. Sooksant Kittisupakorn, director of the medical services office of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), said that the admittance of the 10 patients into the field hospital, located at the Chalerm Phra Kiat Stadium, will enable assessment of the performance by the medical team, before more patients arrive.

The hospital has 200 beds but, initially, the number of patients will be limited to 100, to ensure social distancing.

Patients to be admitted to this new facility are advised to bring enough personal effects with them, including clothing, for 10-14 days.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bang-bon-field-hospital-opens-to-accept-first-10-covid-19-patients/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-04-13

33 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think the prospect of being confined to a "field hospital" sounds worse than getting Covid.  Presumably if you have decent insurance, the option of a proper hospital is still available?  Surely, they can't charge money to stay in what amounts to a dormitory of sick people?

I think the "field hospital" facilities are chiefly intended for everyday Thai folks (who don't have serious symptoms). FWIW, a spokesman for the BMA posted earlier that the facility will have free wifi, be accepting of food delivery orders, CCTV monitoring and various other stuff...  Still, not exactly the Ritz Carlton... ????

Although, turns out, Thai Immigration is and has been running their own field hospital in a different location for the 100-200 foreigner detainees from Immigration jails in BKK that came down with CV... They just sent a bunch of them back to jail the other day after an extended stay at Immigration's makeshift field hospital.

For farangs and more well to do Thais, the government and BMA have been working to develop "hospitel" room facilities... kind of the hotel version of ASQ, but instead for those who have actually tested positive for COVID.

I think the "hospitel" room things are supposed to be free as well for Thais... But I'm not sure whether that same deal applies for farangs.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I guess that is the case sometimes but I can also say that I know of 3 kids and one adult that have covid. They were all taken to local government hospital first for a couple of days, then once it was clear most were asymptomatic, only one of the kids had a mild fever, they were all transferred then to a field hospital. These people are all foreigners from an expensive international school who would have had more than adequate insurance. It looks like there was not much choice in the matter, for this group anyway.

That's interesting... I have been wondering about what degree of "facility selection" opportunity exists once someone comes down with COVID... Clearly, the people who actually get moderately to seriously sick are gonna end up in real hospital beds/rooms. But for the little to no symptom folks, that's where the ability to control one's destiny seems to get pretty fuzzy.

In general, I think it's safe to say, especially at this point, the Thai hospitals generally want to keep their open beds available for cases that really need them.... Although for the right amount, who knows...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's interesting... I have been wondering about what degree of "facility selection" opportunity exists once someone comes down with COVID... Clearly, the people who actually get moderately to seriously sick are gonna end up in real hospital beds/rooms. But for the little to no symptom folks, that's where the ability to control one's destiny seems to get pretty fuzzy.

In general, I think it's safe to say, especially at this point, the Thai hospitals generally want to keep their open beds available for cases that really need them.... Although for the right amount, who knows...

Yes I think also it may depend on the standard of the so called field hospital, what I should have mentioned in my post is that this one is at a University in Phuket so thinking about it, it could well be specially arranged dormitories which would be fairly comfortable I guess? 

Edited by Bkk Brian

Petri dish hospital is what most of these field hospitals look like to me. The space is too small, and the people 

moving around to go to the toilet or to go eat, will spread the virus or what ever other disease they have.

Good luck in the future Thailand you will most certainly need all of it you can get.

Geezer

11 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Consider that these people will be using communal toilets

Also wondering about bathing? Thai country shower? Or maybe a hose down in the parking lot every few days. Losing one's sense of smell would probably be a blessing?

Seen some foreigners posting/tweeting/vlogging from ASQ facilities - there are NOT recent arrivals, but rather local long-term stayers who tested positive and were able to buy into an ASQ hotel, for 14 days.

11 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

This is NOT a field hospital. It is a custodial dormitory, or a detention facility. The term hospital is used to remove the stigma of being in a holding facility. People are taken here against their will. There is no privacy and the place will be a breeding ground for other illnesses. Consider that these people will be using communal toilets and now consider how clean Thais keep their public  toilets. I wonder if there will be soap or paper towel in the toilet areas.  i expect people will be reluctant to admit to an infection or seek treatment. Compounding the problem is that  most Thai workers  do not have sick days/sick pay. If they do not work, they do not eat.  Subsistence level workers will continue to show up to work infected, infecting others.

Welcome to Thailand.

11 hours ago, taxin said:

Seen so many images of these field hospitals, but strangely they always seem to be empty ?

So far! Happens the Bang Bon facility is just next door to me. 14 (or more) days here looks like no fun but no worse than travel in which one sleeps in a wat compound or local school. Most will be air-conditioned.

For me, were I infected, I would prefer to be sent here rather than potentially infecting my family at home.

Given the choice, I would prefer a hotel facility but ONLY if it were free.

Read my lips: There will shortly be NO hospital beds.