Car companies breaking the law

Parsve

4 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i think the problem is caused by the dealer, once they register the car they have to pay for it, so if you pay cash 800,000+thb cash and they hold onto it for 3 months before passing it on to the manufacturer, is better for their bank balance, also some people like to keep the red plates for as long as they can to ''show off'' i fail to see why the same system as in the UK can not be used, in the UK the dealer is allocated the plates and number in bulk, the buyer can then choose what number they want.

Hahaha......TiT ????

In very simple terms, i would suggest "they" are not breaking any laws, you are by using it.(technically).

Its a clerical issue/procedure that they are not completing and thats between you and the dealer.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

<removed> They are not forcing you to commit criminal acts at all.  Do they force you to drive the car ? -  NO.  It is your choice to drive it if you know that by doing so you will break the law , If you feel so strongly about it why do you drive it ? just leave it until it is registered with the plates on it, simple. Toyota are not violating current rules at all, what a stupid statement. The dealer applies for the vehicle registration on your behalf (or the finance company ) not the Toyota Motor Company. It is the Land and Transportation Department who may be delaying things in the registration process, so why not just go and have a word with them and tell them they are breaking their own laws by not issuing them to you within the defined period and  I'm sure they will be accommodating to you ?

And by the way be very careful what you write as you have accused Toyota of criminal acts. Unless you can prove that it is a libelous statement you have made.

Well, I can of course only talk for me myself, but when I buy a car I do it to use it, not to have it parked in the garden as some kind of useless statue. And living like me, in the middle of nowhere I need to use the car to go and buy food and so on. So if I should not starve my self I am forced to use the car and by that forced to brake the law. TTD says that it is no problem to get a car registered within a month, but that is their words, not mine.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Well, I can of course only talk for me myself, but when I buy a car I do it to use it, not to have it parked in the garden as some kind of useless statue. And living like me, in the middle of nowhere I need to use the car to go and buy food and so on. So if I should not starve my self I am forced to use the car and by that forced to brake the law. TTD says that it is no problem to get a car registered within a month, but that is their words, not mine.

You are not forced to do anything, take an alternative mode of transport if yours is illegal to drive.

Brake btw is the pedal on the left.

Also, it is DLT (Department of Land Transport) not TTD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

You are not forced to do anything, take an alternative mode of transport if yours is illegal to drive.

Brake btw is the pedal on the left.

Also, it is DLT (Department of Land Transport) not TTD.

Life is easy if you not use your brain I guess. Here no alternative mode of transport exist, well of course I could walk or bicycling 35 kilometers one direction, but that was not my idea when buying a car and still not is.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Life is easy if you not use your brain I guess. Here no alternative mode of transport exist, well of course I could walk or bicycling 35 kilometers one direction, but that was not my idea when buying a car and still not is.  

So you do have other options (walking and bicycle) and yet YOU choose to break the law.

Edit to add, This line "Toyota is thus not only deliberately violating current rules. They also force their customers to commit criminal acts" would land you in hot water should Toyota choose to sue you for slander...... thats another law are breaking !!

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Parsve said:

I asked my wife to call Toyota and ask for our license plates.

Calm down I bet your Mrs ain't bothered.

Or go to your police station and report Toyota to the police. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So you do have other options (walking and bicycle) and yet YOU choose to break the law.

Edit to add, This line "Toyota is thus not only deliberately violating current rules. They also force their customers to commit criminal acts" would land you in hot water should Toyota choose to sue you for slander...... thats another law are breaking !!

So you think it's ok that you can not use your newly purchased car and instead be forced to walk or cycle 35 kilometers one way to buy food and other necessities. I have a hard time believing that you would have the same attitude if you were in that situation.

It would be interesting to hear why you favor a system that clearly does not work as it should and why you think it is better that a newly purchased car should not be used. Maybe it can make me better understand how you and Thais work

As far as Toyota is concerned, in case they have made sure that the registration papers have been sent in on time, they can sue TTD because they are unable to fulfill what they say should apply.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Ihave a hard time believing that you would have the same attitude if you were in that situation.

It would be interesting to hear why you favor a system that clearly does not work as it should and why you think it is better that a newly purchased car should not be used. Maybe it can make me better understand how you and Thais work

As far as Toyota is concerned, in case they have made sure that the registration papers have been sent in on time, they can sue TTD because they are unable to fulfill what they say should apply.

I purchased a new car 4 months ago,it still has red plates.............care factor is zero so your claims that I favour the system in unfounded.

Your issue has nothing to do with the Toyota car Company so not sure why you choose to single them out with false and misleading claims.

FWIW, There is no such dept as the TTD, maybe thats why your white plates are delayed !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

i think the problem is caused by the dealer, once they register the car they have to pay for it, so if you pay cash 800,000+thb cash and they hold onto it for 3 months before passing it on to the manufacturer, is better for their bank balance, also some people like to keep the red plates for as long as they can to ''show off'' i fail to see why the same system as in the UK can not be used, in the UK the dealer is allocated the plates and number in bulk, the buyer can then choose what number they want.

lol

Have you seen interest rates right now? 

It's simple - you don't get busted for driving on a red plate nowadays - used to be they'd get you for driving it at night. I'm not sure if the law changed but certainly the behavior of police did. 

As for "same system as UK" - it's simple - this is not the UK. If you want their systems, you would need to live there. Bottom line is if you don't like Thailand - don't stay. Whining about every little different thing is just going to make you look like the Grinch.

Right now, it's red plate fever after the motor show.  So many cars have been purchased, it of course takes longer to register. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I purchased a new car 4 months ago,it still has red plates.............care factor is zero so your claims that I favour the system in unfounded.

Your issue has nothing to do with the Toyota car Company so not sure why you choose to single them out with false and misleading claims.

FWIW, There is no such dept as the TTD, maybe thats why your white plates are delayed !!

If you read the headline, it says car company, ie unspecified, then in the text it says which brand we bought. But as I said, I do not refer specifically to them, more than in our case. As far as I know, all car companies do the same, or if it is TTD that sets up rules that they can not follow themselves.

Ok, sorry that I misunderstood that you favor a system that does not work, so let me put it another way. What do you think about that you could not use your new car without breaking the law?

As for TTD, it is not me who will do the registration but the sellers and we can really hope that they know where to send the registration documents.

I do not agree that TTD does not exist. They were the ones who commented on the new rules (but the news paper maybe used a bad English translation of the name) and they are, or are part of the Department of Land Transport, you can find their official website at https://www.dlt.go.th/en/ 

15 minutes ago, Parsve said:

So you think it's ok that you can not use your newly purchased car and instead be forced to walk or cycle 35 kilometers one way to buy food and other necessities. I have a hard time believing that you would have the same attitude if you were in that situation.

You don't have to not drive.  Nobody is suing anybody over this. 

7 minutes ago, Parsve said:

If you read the headline, it says car company, ie unspecified, then in the text it says which brand we bought. But as I said, I do not refer specifically to them, more than in our case. As far as I know, all car companies do the same, or if it is TTD that sets up rules that they can not follow themselves.

Ok, sorry that I misunderstood that you favor a system that does not work, so let me put it another way. What do you think about that you could not use your new car without breaking the law?

As for TTD, it is not me who will do the registration but the sellers and we can really hope that they know where to send the registration documents.

I do not agree that TTD does not exist. They were the ones who commented on the new rules (but the news paper maybe used a bad English translation of the name) and they are, or are part of the Department of Land Transport, you can find their official website at https://www.dlt.go.th/en/ 

You purchased a car from a dealership, the issue of delayed number plates is theirs................. Not  Toyota the Motor company.

To answer you question, I break the law every time I drive it from speeding to driving in the right hand lane to not using a seatbelt........... probably o dozen things as well !!

Good to see you finally found the Land Transport Department, maybe the process will speed up now.

28 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

lol

It's simple - you don't get busted for driving on a red plate nowadays - used to be they'd get you for driving it at night. I'm not sure if the law changed but certainly the behavior of police did. 

As for "same system as UK" - it's simple - this is not the UK. If you want their systems, you would need to live there. Bottom line is if you don't like Thailand - don't stay. Whining about every little different thing is just going to make you look like the Grinch.

Right now, it's red plate fever after the motor show.  So many cars have been purchased, it of course takes longer to register. 

Bangkok motor show started exactly one week after that I had purchased my car so that should possibly not be the problem if the system takes requests in order, and the bottom rule is not if I want to live in Thailand or not. __The bottom rule is should it be able to live following the laws or not and that applies both to ex-pats and thais.

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You purchased a car from a dealership, the issue of delayed number plates is theirs................. Not  Toyota the Motor company.

To answer you question, I break the law every time I drive it from speeding to driving in the right hand lane to not using a seatbelt........... probably o dozen things as well !!

Good to see you finally found the Land Transport Department, maybe the process will speed up now.

Ok, so you think it is ok to break laws  and to drive in a bad way, well I do not. About Land Office, of course I have know about them for long time. The thing is that the newspaper called them Department of Land Transport and I quote them. If you search for Thailand and Department of Land Transport you come to  the Land Transport Department´s official web page.

Anyway, you obviously think it is ok to break the laws and I do not, therefore I not believe we come any further in this and stop our conversation here. Thanks.

Edited by Parsve
missing word
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Ok, so you think it is ok to break laws  and to drive in a bad way, well I do not. About Land Office, of course I have know about them for long time. The thing is that the newspaper called them Department of Land Transport and I quote them. If you search for Thailand and Department of Land Transport you come to  the Land Transport Department´s official web page.

Anyway, you obviously think it is ok to break the laws and I do not, therefore I not believe we come any further in this and stop our conversation here. Thanks.

A law breaker criticizing a fellow law breaker, how quaint !!

Have you got a link to the actual law (red plate) you believe you are breaking ?

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

lol

What's with all this righteous get out of Thailand talk. did i for one minute complain, you really need to chill out

the police do enforce the law regarding red plate, book not filled in, out after dark  etc, but when they feel like it

It is not uncommon that dealers drag their feet and and don't transfer ownership for some period following a sale, we had to wait almost three months for our plates. I don't know why this is, but the delay does seem to be with the dealer rather than DLT. Perhaps there is a tax incentive to delay the conclusion of the sale until a subsequent quarter or perhaps it has to do with volume rebates from the supplier, during the same quarter. Regardless, as long as the driver/owner completes a trip book each time he uses the vehicle, the police shouldn't be a problem, unless the vehicle is driven at night which could attract attention - but how many police do you see at night time anyway!

4 hours ago, Parsve said:

Bangkok motor show started exactly one week after that I had purchased my car so that should possibly not be the problem if the system takes requests in order, and the bottom rule is not if I want to live in Thailand or not. __The bottom rule is should it be able to live following the laws or not and that applies both to ex-pats and thais.

You have much to learn, young paddawan.

You may have got your car 1st, but that doesn't mean there's not a 1000 sandals of future buyers ahead of you in the queue.

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

What's with all this righteous get out of Thailand talk. did i for one minute complain, you really need to chill out

the police do enforce the law regarding red plate, book not filled in, out after dark  etc, but when they feel like it

The police used to enforce it.

I took a red plate bkk car to Samuel for a month. Got stopped at a checkpoint every night as I was doing laps of the island in the wee hours.

All I got from the police was "nice car", "what you up to" or they just waved me on.

Used to be you couldn't drive outside your province or after 7pm with reds. I was around when it was enforced vigorously. Well, when I say enforced, I mean used as an excuse to demand a bung. 

So I am pretty confident in my anecdotal experience, we get a car every 2-3 years.

As stated above it is the dealer delaying.  My wife always registers our cars herself ,,, tells the dealer that she wants the paperwork and gets it within a few days.

Quite often car dealerships actually charge you for registration ... think Honda wanted 3000+ and Mercedes more.

If you get fined ... give the ticket to the dealer!!

Just make sure that you fill in the Brown Book every time you use the car ... and use a pen ... that will put one up the dealer ...