Thailand reports 1,335 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

1 minute ago, Cadan said:

Not stoppable this time with any lock down ???????????? - far too late in vaccination - sabai sabai is over now 

Yup. Soon enough people will realize that this is it now. Look at every western country that's had lockdown after lockdown, and it still comes back

We're past the point of no return. Had they isolated parts of BKK immediately (and prevented travel for this week) then MAYBE there was a chance. But not anymore

• Like 2

Will Prayuth and Anutin resign, and admit not locking down the 2km. radius around the Samut seafood market was a historic and horrendous mistake, and likely a major cause of this current outbreak?

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, James HB said:

I advise you to do a research on the effects caused by anti-COVID vaccines: all nations have released studies and reports on this! 

Yes, there are some very worrying side effects and even in some cases, organ failure, and blood clots being reported with these vaccines

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yes, there are some very worrying side effects and even in some cases, organ failure, and blood clots being reported with these vaccines

Yes, in the range of like 1 out of every 250,000 vaccinations for the AZ vaccine based on UK data, and 1 in a million in the U.S. for the J&J vaccine with its new blood clot issues.

The medical experts say folks have a greater chance of dying from COVID than they do from the adverse reactions to the vaccines in such rare cases.

"The FDA and CDC said in a joint statement that out of more than 6.8 million doses administered of the J&J vaccine, there were six reports, including one fatality, of a rare blood clot in the brain — known as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vaccine-expert-us-wont-need-to-rely-on-jj-vaccine-144535844.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Drat, there goes my tourist venues to visit during the school holidays with the kids.  Wonder if I can drive to Nong Nooch gardens and the dinosaur park from here in Bangkok.  Yes this post contains traces of sarcasm.  If the Royal palaces and museums are closed why is travel still being allowed.  Argh....idiots. 

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

How do you know we haven't reached this point? With limited testing and people avoiding being tested, the official number might be the tip of the iceberg. To be fair. The hospitalization numbers and especially mortality is not even near compared to other countries. If we can avoid being hospitalized or even worse dying to this virus, the daily positive numbers are meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

Like you I have no way of knowing what the numbers are they can't even get the numbers precise where the do mass testing (though they do get a much clearer picture)so they have no hope here.About the only stat I rely on is the one that says Thailand is ranked 104th for transparency and corruption.Many who boast of Thailands record for this pandemic don't seem to acknowledge that fact.You can lead a horse to water but..... 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

I hope you are not right about herd immunity! I think many remember what happen in Sweden and Thailand have 6 times more people! Finaly they start to do like other was doing to fight against covid! But get 10 times more infected and dead than in other norden coundries.

Sweden has more than 20 times the amount of deaths than Norway,and struggeling even more just now. Heard immunity, if it works, certenly has a very high and sad price. 

59 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As I said above, I don't understand that!  Perhaps it's some kind of TH-EN translation error on their part...

However, another member here yesterday posted a legitimate medical researchers article in which they talked about finding both heart and lung damage in asymptomatic COVID cases....

Here's an excerpt of that article and the weblink for it:

"Asymptomatic coronavirus infection is not necessarily benign. Several studies have reported abnormal lung scans in those infected without symptoms, as well as myocarditis, a type of heart inflammation. The long-term health implications of asymptomatic infection aren’t known."

The day we let Covid-19 spin out of control

Jan. 23, 2021

https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/23/asymptomatic-infection-blunder-covid-19-spin-out-of-control/

I found the article very insightful and posted it yesterday to rebut another posters claim that Asymptomatic people could not transfer the virus and infect others.  Seems that poster has now disappeared, and is probably very concerned now along with his wife, who he claimed was a nurse, and that their immune systems would protect them, but they would isolate instead of seeking treatment.  I feel sorry for folks who are stuck on old and outdated information as this virus is very insidious.  Stay safe and protect yourself and loved ones.

Edited by ThailandRyan

13 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

So on the one hand you believe that covid is completely overblown and also are anti-vax

Seriously, what's your end game here?  Are you just an agent of chaos? Or do you believe that it's a concerted global effort for all governments to tank their economies to firm up for their grip on their citizens? 

What's the end game for people like you do ignore clear and convincing data and all forms of logic to harp on the tiniest of things that fit your narrative?

0,006% chance of blood cloth from the vaccine. I take my chanses on that odds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Thailand is doing it by the book. It would be ridiculous to let asymptomatic spreaders walk around.  Here is the latest data from the US CDC, posted yesterday. Half of the spread is from symptomless people.

The CDC's recent March 19, 2021 COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios use the following numbers for planning

• Percent of infections that are asymptomatic:  15% to 70%, best current estimate.  30%.
  • Infectiousness of asymptomatic individuals:( relative to symptomatic )  25% to 100%, best current estimate.  75%.
  • Percentage of transmission prior to symptom onset:   30% to 70%, best current estimate.  50%.

So if asymptomatic is estimated 30% of the country please explain how they can hospitalise all these patients, and what if its higher? 

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Complaint filed against owner and manager of Hua Hin pub over COVID-19 cluster

A complaint has been lodged with Hua Hin district police, by the district’s assistant health official and the deputy district officer, against the owner and manager of the Maya pub for allegedly violating the Emergency Decree, the Communicable Disease Act, the Entertainment Venue Act and the provincial administration’s order.

The pub has been identified as the source of a cluster of COVID-19 infections in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. According to the provincial health office, more than 300 people have, so far, been infected and 90% of thos infections are linked to the pub.

A mini concert was held at the pub on March 31st, featuring popular singer and entertainer Joey Boy, and it is alleged that the pub operated beyond the 1am limit.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/complaint-filed-against-owner-and-manager-of-hua-hin-pub-over-covid-19-cluster/

Heads are rolling!Unfortunately not the correct ones.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

This is probably a topic in of itself, but are any expats here considering going elsewhere?

I could choose to return to my home country, but last time I checked, there were about 577,000 dead folks from COVID there.... ????

Plus, now isn't such a great time to be doing international air travel, either on the departing or arrival ends of things, not to mention the flight itself.

3 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

So if asymptomatic is estimated 30% of the country please explain how they can hospitalise all these patients, and what if its higher? 

Asymptomatic cases test positive for the virus, that is the meaning of asymptomatic case, how they know.

Many, but not all asymptomatic cases eventually become symptomatic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

That's an easy one to answer just turn the whole country into a field hospital.Trust your citizens to do the right thing and hang on tight for the anticipated turbulence of the covid tsunami.

6 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

Not 30% of the country... Some 30% of those with COVID are believed to be asymptomatic....  That's a best guess estimate by researchers...

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, in the range of like 1 out of every 250,000 vaccinations, according to the data thus far for the AZ and now J&J vaccines.

The medical experts say folks have a greater chance of dying from COVID than they do from the adverse reactions to the vaccines in such rare cases.

Does that take into account that these blood clot cases are much younger than most of those that die from covid?If you make a comparison based on comparable ages is the chance of dying from covid still greater?Say the under 50's?Is that why Governments are choosing to pause AZ and J&J?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Like you I have no way of knowing what the numbers are they can't even get the numbers precise where the do mass testing (though they do get a much clearer picture)so they have no hope here.About the only stat I rely on is the one that says Thailand is ranked 104th for transparency and corruption.Many who boast of Thailands record for this pandemic don't seem to acknowledge that fact.You can lead a horse to water but..... 

Yes indeed. Transparency and consistency are vital to gain public trust. Unfortunately, Thailand lacks both of them. Controversial decisions, overnight policy-making, corruption, (and the list goes on), is the recipe for public distrust.  Why would I stay home during songran if everyone else is traveling? Why would I keep the speed limit when everyone else is speeding? 

However, the number of ICU patients or fatalities due to covid, is probably accurate. Social media is pretty free in Thailand. I haven't seen anything like Bergamo (Italy) last year. I don't know what was behind the "miracle" that saved Thailand for more than a year. I hope this "miracle" is still working, because we will need it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wasabi said:

At some point will herd immunity occur without vaccines? I have very little faith in Thailand's vaccination program but at some point most of the population will have had Covid. I know this is not the desirable way to manage a pandemic but not sure if there is any other way out here? Then again perhaps all the different variants make it impossible without a vaccine?

I am thinking of the expats in Thailand most of whom will be over 50 years of age and some way beyond that . They are in danger if they get hit with covid as the mortality rate accelerates the older we get . As I see it the alternatives are  1/ Get out of Thailand   2/  get vaccinated if possible by a proven vaccine ,

3/ Find a reliable out of the way place to isolate , stock up and see it out  . 

If a farang gets infected by covid I would think he would find it difficult to get hospitalised or treated . 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BookShe said:

However, the number of ICU patients or fatalities due to covid, is probably accurate. Social media is pretty free in Thailand. I haven't seen anything like Bergamo (Italy) last year. I don't know what was behind the "miracle" that saved Thailand for more than a year. I hope this "miracle" is still working, because we will need it. 

Not sure if you are aware that some of us were following the MOPH figures on unknown viral pneumonia deaths last March/April they got to 3600 before disappearing and access was denied.With the number of crematoriums in this country and the speed at which the whole death process takes it's not hard for me to imagine large numbers going uncounted.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

Bangkok shutdown mulled after Songkran break

"The Thai government and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration are considering a lockdown of the capital and surrounding provinces to stem the tide of the current wave of the pandemic, officials said on Wednesday.

With the number of new cases hovering around 1,000 cases per day, the public health ministry has said that the third wave of the pandemic could be the most severe yet.

General Natthapon Nakpanich, who heads the Covid-19 operations center, told government television channel MCOT on Wednesday that all options were being considered including a lockdown of the capital after the holiday period ends."

(more)

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26407/bangkok-shutdown-mulled-after-songkran-break/

AND

Targeted controls to be introduced as daily new COVID-19 infections pass 1,000

National Security Council Secretary-General Gen Nataphol Narkpanich said today that the NSC and the Ministry of Public Health have been working on additional measures, to be proposed to the CCSA, to contain the continuing spread of the disease.

He hinted that the new measures may include lockdowns of Bangkok and its suburbs, Chiang Mai in the North, Prachuap Khiri Khan in the South and some eastern provinces.

Disease Control Department Director-General Dr. Opas Karnkavinpong said today that more than 100 new cases were recorded in each of the nine Red Zone provinces, hence, the need for tighter controls on the movement of people in and out of the provinces, controls on nightspots, as well as private parties, which are regarded as posing a high risk of disease transmission.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/targeted-controls-to-be-introduced-as-daily-new-covid-19-infections-pass-1000/

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, superal said:

I am thinking of the expats in Thailand most of whom will be over 50 years of age and some way beyond that . They are in danger if they get hit with covid as the mortality rate accelerates the older we get . As I see it the alternatives are  1/ Get out of Thailand   2/  get vaccinated if possible by a proven vaccine ,

3/ Find a reliable out of the way place to isolate , stock up and see it out  . 

If a farang gets infected by covid I would think he would find it difficult to get hospitalised or treated . 

I'm about as far flung as one can get in Thailand and got hit in the first wave in Feb last year.I had no choice but to take the herd immunity approach.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

you do realise that at 1,300 infections per day that covers just over 7 days of infected people, how many tests are they actually doing per day ?????, I will bet it's not much over 3000

This is the salient point for me , how many tests does the infected figure correspond to ?

If only 1 or 2 % are testing positive then it seems manageable , ten times that would mean a severe problem.

4 hours ago, wasabi said:

At some point will herd immunity occur without vaccines? I have very little faith in Thailand's vaccination program but at some point most of the population will have had Covid. I know this is not the desirable way to manage a pandemic but not sure if there is any other way out here? Then again perhaps all the different variants make it impossible without a vaccine?

As long as masses don't die which they won't , it's a very desirable way of managing it , most people are not very sick at all , forget the idea of all going to hospital , not possible , get as much Vax out there as possible , and just get with life ,  the most viable circumstance is a functioning , exposed immune .

Now , sure those at risk should stay put , but unlikely to have any massive negative outcome here . Who knows what the actual numbers are  ? Quickest way to herd , while progressing the immune , now getting the Vax numbers up would be great also .