Thailand reports 1,335 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

36 people are in a serious condition and 9 are on ventilators

Last week someone replied to my comment regarding mask wearing in bars

Quote: "who the hell wears masks in a bar" 

Only the smart ones, I now think there are many who wished they did. !!!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

This is the salient point for me , how many tests does the infected figure correspond to ?

If only 1 or 2 % are testing positive then it seems manageable , ten times that would mean a severe problem.

The world in data suggest about 16000 tests per day up to 4th April with about 6.5% positive rate.So halfway between manageable and severe.Since then the numbers of positives have risen but no data on the test numbers that I know of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Long COVID, aka 'Post viral syndrome'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Throughout history most 'plagues' have eventually died out after 'herd immunity' occurs -- unfortunately, the Black Death killed 25 million people in Europe (the world's population was much lower then) -- but the Bubonic Plague was the most fatal pandemic recorded in human history, causing the DEATH of 75–200 million people in Eurasia and North Africa, peaking in Europe from 1347 to 1351; Bubonic Plague also causes septicaemic or pneumonic plagues. But that also died out -- eventually!

So with this 'plague' it all depends on evaluating the cost in lives and financial stability/collapse against the cost of vaccines, lockdowns, and precautions!

The black death and bubonic plague are/were one and the same, a bacterial infection spread by lice.

They named it after the guy who found it, Alexander Yersin, these days it's called Yersinia Pestis.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Government seems to be slightly moving up their public timeframe for the start of their mass vaccinations campaign using their own locally manufactured AZ vaccine... Before they were saying starting June, now they're saying starting mid-May.

"The Public Health Ministry will start vaccinating the general public against COVID-19 around mid-May, when the first lot of the locally manufactured AstraZeneca vaccine will be ready.

Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit said people can register to get the vaccine via four channels from May 1: the “Mor Phrom” Line official account; the mobile Mor Phrom application; at hospital via telephone, or by contacting public health volunteers nationwide.

He said the government aims to have 50-60% of the population vaccinated as soon as possible to effectively control the outbreak, and will also expand the vaccination units by collaborating with the private sector.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157949284722050

Unless, they're playing games with words for public consumption... Just the other day, the government said they would start accepting reservations for vaccinations in May prior to the actual vaccinations beginning in June...

Note: the government said publicly last month that foreigners living in Thailand would be eligible to receive the government provided COVID vaccines. But what they haven't said, is where foreigners will fall in the priority queue of different subgroups for being able to receive that vaccine.

Amazing that it took a spread of the Virus through their own ministerial ranks and the nation to put a burr in their rear and step it up.  I also read where Starting May 1st folks can start to register to be vaccinated.  I did not see where it said only citizens or Thai Nationals in the article.  I would hope that the local hospitals we all may be registered at would be putting together a list of folks based upon age and necessity due to medical issues in order to vaccinate those that wish to be by assigning an appointment date once they obtain the vaccines they can order.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm about as far flung as one can get in Thailand and got hit in the first wave in Feb last year.I had no choice but to take the herd immunity approach.

How ill were you ?  apparently some people only get mild symptoms .  Back in last February the Thai covid was said to be less potent but the latest virus is the UK Kent type which is more infectious and harmful .  

I haven't seen much talk in the Thai media about just what doctors here are using to treat the more serious COVID cases. But on the basis of the MoPH saying yesterday they need to stock up on these two drugs, Favipiravir and Remdisivir would seem to be in their arsenal:

662692093_Remdisivir-FavipiravirSupplies.jpg.3372d2d2049a1574854bb474e66ddd47.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Did you ever experience a warm chest?  The only possible case I know of, early on, was a nephew who is a monk. His only symptoms were:

• no fever but he felt his chest was oddly warm.
  • occasional minor pain on alternate sides of his chest.
  • an odd sensation at night that he was not breathing properly.

He never coughed or sneezed. Months later I asked about his health. He said it went away quickly but he still had a weird thing about his throat  but had trouble explaining what it felt like.

I know we had a bit of a fever, lethargy, runny nose lots of sneezing (I have sinus problems so I sneeze a lot) dry coughing slight head ache vaguely

remember feel my chest but the after effects about 2 months later when I had to exert some effort getting the drying cassava out of the approaching storm was when I felt like I was having an asthma attack which I've only ever had after overdosing on fruit juice or watermelon.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Not sure if you are aware that some of us were following the MOPH figures on unknown viral pneumonia deaths last March/April they got to 3600 before disappearing and access was denied.With the number of crematoriums in this country and the speed at which the whole death process takes it's not hard for me to imagine large numbers going uncounted.

No. Not really aware of this data. You might be accurate though. I live in Samui. There are at least 5 hospitals here. All I'm saying that I haven't seen a Bergamo-style disaster here. It's a tourist destination with a lot of ex-pats just like Phuket and Pattaya. Hundreds or even thousands of death in these communities wouldn't go unnoticed (imho). Being said that, in rural areas, your scenario is more than possible. Again. I'm not saying that you are incorrect with your figures. I'm saying that I haven't seen these hospitals down in their knees. Romania reported 6 available ICU beds in the whole country. Hungary with a population of only 9.6 Million is recorded 24,000 fatalities. That is pretty bad. Thailand with 70 Million only 95 as of yet. Add a zero to the 95.    950 is still "nothing" in a population of 70 Mill. Add two zeroes. 9500 and many small European countries would take that as their total death toll. How was this last year's "miracle" possible in LOS??? I don't have the slightest clue. ????

(one thing for sure. not because of Anutin)
Being an atheist, all I can do is pray that this "miracle" is still working otherwise we are doomed.  ????

• Like 2

Why has this Government allowed this to happen,, Thailand has had relatively low covid figures for the past 12 Months, compared to other Countries, and had the opportunity to vaccinate the population,       But NO, they wait until the covid infections start to explode, and deaths will surely follow, this Government should be ashamed of its self, and will have blood on there hands. 

• Like 2

Ministry of Public Health today released the following chart showing the impact that cases tied to entertainment venues has had on the country's COVID outbreak in April, with nearly three-fourths of the cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan and two-thirds of the Bangkok reported cases stemming from entertainment venues:

939360126_Provinceswithmostentertainmentvenuerelatedcasesthru4-13.jpg.0ddad03c35963e6a3b6f4d74bcba84ca.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiEnquirer/photos/a.127512855402923/299986368155570/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Just wondering if it's Beaconhouse? The mum of a boy in my son's class was at Maya Club the same night as the woman who came down from Thong Lor. The mum tested positive but the boy was still at school for a whole week before she knew. Boy was in P6. 

Fortunately my kids left straight after the exams to join me in Saudi, but not good for those kids and their families who were there in that week between infection and diagnosis.

it does not matter which school.

quarantine your child and test them for covid 19.

if you can afford the school you can afford the Bht6k for the test.

5 hours ago, Excel said:

Must be getting really serious as they are now stating "36 people are in a serious condition and 9 are on ventilators".   I don't believe those figures have been released previously, but I may be wrong.  So if all those deniers on here are in any doubt perhaps they should now be more cautious.

Yes, and I for one am not taking this lightly. I've decided that I am not venturing out anywhere for at least two weeks from my house in Kalasin, after the government gave its blessing for people to travel throughout the country to spread the virus. After that, I'll see which way the wind is blowing. I'm waiting now for the government to say that the rainy season will wash it all away.

At the same time, the figures we are seeing are microscopic in a nation of 69,000,000.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

This was Bojo's initial hope in the UK but it didn't work there or in other countries with high infection rates.  Herd immunity probably develops too slowly and the immunity may not be effective enough.  The only way to defeat the virus seems to be to slow it down with strict lockdowns and overtake it with efficient vaccine roll outs.  Unfortunately Thailand has neither. 

In previous centuries we can't be sure exactly how the various plagues ended or even what they were as there's often no samples available.

All things came to an end one way or another, one way would likely be due to acquired immunity and another is through mutation whereby the virus in question mutates itself out of the dangerous category and into 'common cold' territory....this probably takes years which is why such things as the as yet unidentified 'Russian Flu' of 1889 lasted for about 3 or 4 years.

Of course for such mutations to become dominant the virus needs to be allowed to spread, currently it looks like they're scared to death of any and all mutations hence ensuring they don't spread - this will also prevent harmless variants from becoming dominant and elongate the pandemic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Why has this Government allowed this to happen,, Thailand has had relatively low covid figures for the past 12 Months, compared to other Countries, and had the opportunity to vaccinate the population,       But NO, they wait until the covid infections start to explode, and deaths will surely follow, this Government should be ashamed of its self, and will have blood on there hands. 

The govt don't care 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ministry of Public Health today released the following chart showing the impact that cases tied to entertainment venues has had on the country's COVID outbreak in April, with nearly three-fourths of the cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan and two-thirds of the Bangkok reported cases stemming from entertainment venues:

939360126_Provinceswithmostentertainmentvenuerelatedcasesthru4-13.jpg.0ddad03c35963e6a3b6f4d74bcba84ca.jpg

So then where did the other cases originate from would be something nice to know, but then can we accept the truth from them.  Did the clusters in the entertainment venues arise out of thin air or how many were already pre-symptomatic when they showed up at the venue.  Where did they pick it up from. Inquiring minds want to know. Or will we get that famous line Jack Nicholson spouted "You want the truth, well you can't handle the truth" from this government.

Edited by onthedarkside
movie clip removed

15 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Compared to a lot of other countries Thailand handled covid quite well, but low case numbers (or no cases) breed complacency.  Also the reality is that it is still a third world country, and is at the back of the queues for vaccines. But they should have tried to purchase vaccines directly instead organizing local production by companies with dubious credentials.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BookShe said:

No. Not really aware of this data. You might be accurate though. I live in Samui. There are at least 5 hospitals here. All I'm saying that I haven't seen a Bergamo-style disaster here. It's a tourist destination with a lot of ex-pats just like Phuket and Pattaya. Hundreds or even thousands of death in these communities wouldn't go unnoticed (imho). Being said that, in rural areas, your scenario is more than possible. Again. I'm not saying that you are incorrect with your figures. I'm saying that I haven't seen these hospitals down in their knees. Romania reported 6 available ICU beds in the whole country. Hungary with a population of only 9.6 Million is recorded 24,000 fatalities. That is pretty bad. Thailand with 70 Million only 95 as of yet. Add a zero to the 95.    950 is still "nothing" in a population of 70 Mill. Add two zeroes. 9500 and many small European countries would take that as their total death toll. How was this last year's "miracle" possible in LOS??? I don't have the slightest clue. ????

(one thing for sure. not because of Anutin)
Being an atheist, all I can do is pray that this "miracle" is still working otherwise we are doomed.  ????

I also can't say that it's the case but I have suspicions and think it's plausible but not necessarily to hide anything more of the Thais seemingly fatalistic approach to death and hard times especially up here in Isaan where they are tough and rather stoically accept things as Buddha's will if you like.Not unlike "it is Allah's will".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The best thing about all this, the silver lining, is they can all now blame the Farang UK Strain. They no longer need to cower of blaming China. Perfect. 

I think the average Joe and Jane are now blaming the Government Ministers who seem to have gone rather mute.

• Haha 1