Rape in Thailand....Is this true?

greeneking

The Guardian today had an article saying 20 countries allow this.  14 April. 2021.

Dr Natalia Kanem, executive director of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA)published the report.

'Russia, Thailand and Venezuela are among the countries that allow men to have rape convictions overturned if they marry the women or girls they have assaulted.'

I hope it is incorrect.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/apr/14/marry-your-rapist-laws-in-20-countries-still-allow-perpetrators-to-escape-justice

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Incorrect, if the victim consented but is in fact underage, therefore not legally able to give consent, then it is classified as rape by law, and the parents or guardian can pursue the charge.(Afaik)

OP didn't say anything about age, so I assumed we are talking about all age groups.

If the victim is under 15, then afaik it's not possible to drop the charges, even if marrying. Thus I would say the linked article is wrong and Thailand doesn't have a "Marry your rapist" law.

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

OP didn't say anything about age, so I assumed we are talking about all age groups.

If the victim is under 15, then afaik it's not possible to drop the charges, even if marrying. Thus I would say the linked article is wrong and Thailand doesn't have a "Marry your rapist" law.

Age is 13 and if subsequently married all charges dropped.

22 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If the victim is underage, by law she can not consent, but the parents can still decide for the victim and agree to a marriage

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

In the west this sort of situation would usually be sorted out by a quick and cheap abortion. But with the Buddhist beliefs, fear of ghosts and abortion not really legal, this is the way it is often dealt with in Thailand. 

Abortion was recently legalized.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/world/asia/thailand-abortion-rights.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Susco said:

If the victim is underage, by law she can not consent, but the parents can still decide for the victim and agree to a marriage

I know that for age 15-17 the parents can consent to their child having sex, then it's legal, this has nothing to do with marriage. But afaik under 15 it's never legal.

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Age is 13 and if subsequently married all charges dropped.

Do you have a source for this? If I Google for something like "thailand marriage age", it seems that the minimum age to get married in Thailand is 17.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

so these animals in those 20 countries will now pre-research their intended victims, to make sure they are:

- Not already married/ and Not RCatholics as they couldn't Divorce to become re-marriageable;

-  Not certified lesbians 

and those countries obviously don't even care about Rape Within Marriage, that would continue on adinfinitum 

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Incorrect, if the victim consented but is in fact underage, therefore not legally able to give consent, then it is classified as rape by law, and the parents or guardian can pursue the charge.(Afaik)

Your absolutely correct. Indeed even if the perpetrator fails to penetrate but had the intention to it is considered to be rape.

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Statutory Rape in the U.K.

Only as informal terminology and in general discussion of common law.  This term is not part of any formal laws, which use very different language and have many distinctions, depending on age, etc. 

Edited by PGSan

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Considered comments and also true but some people here want to pull the nooses out. 

So in this case we are talking about statutory rape and in the specific case identified it was an 18 year old with a 15 year old. So we aren't talking about grown men raping children nor are we talking about paedophilia. It is only classified specifically as rape by law because all stated by Charlie a person under the age of consent can't legally give consent. So it's a crime.

It's true females under the age of consent can not by definition give consent but it is also true that sleeping with a girl under the age of consent in many developed countries offers defense against statutory rape in certain circumstances. 

One such defense is children of similar ages such as 17 or 18 year old sleeping with a 15 year old. There are others but you get the point .

Also the puritans on here that think 14 or 15 or possibly younger girls aren't willingly having sex with boys their own age are seriously deluded .

Particularly on a forum that basically celebrates pensioners chasing young bar girls oh the mother fixing irony.

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

that makes sense  from an american pov  but this is thailand ... TIT

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

From the same article...........

"In Thailand, marriage can be considered a settlement for rape if the perpetrator is over 18 and the victim is over 15, if she “consented” to the offence and if the court grants permission for marriage"

The rather sensational title of the OP fails to point out its related to "technical rape" as in underage sex, not the forced violent act of "rape" that the word usually conjours up.

Are you for real? It is Statutory Rape, as in against the law because it involves a minor. It isn't a technicality, but a bonafide rape. Rape doesn't just occur through physical force. It is just as likely to occur through coercion, manipulation, or intimidation.  It is easy to do this with children and people you casually describe as "underage".  Society understands that children must be protected from predatory adults, like the the kind of people who go to sex tourism destinations. 

If there were no statutory rape provisions, teachers, clergy members, coaches, relatives and other authority figures, could more easily coerce children into sexual relations. 

Regular accuracy in our village. I know of 5 under age girls who ended up married.

One was 13 and the man was 27. The police got involved and evan set the dowry at 15,000 baht. They had a village wedding, not registered and a week later they split up.  I think it's just a way for all involved to save face.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

All goobly gook. "If she consented to the offence" then it can hardly be rape in the first place

Again incorrect did you read none of the above ? If you are below the age of consent then by law it is impossible for you to legally give consent whether willing or not. That's the law. 

Having said that it's an arbitrary number decided by nations and states to decide a minimum legal age no different than driving a car, being able to vote, or drink alcohol.

Then you have countries like the good old US of A where you can join the army at 17 but not have a drink till your 21. Genius 

Or in this case an 18 year old could be  statutorily "raping" a girl at 15 years 11 months and 20 odd some days but a week later they good to go.

Edited by starky

12 hours ago, NE1 said:

Consensual under aged sex is called Statutory Rape in the U.K.

Rape is rape if one person says No.

If there is no penetration , it is called attempted rape.

Thanks for posting. Meanwhile, here in Thailand...

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

13 with a Judge's permission. Section 277 of Thai law.

"The offence as provided in the first paragraph, if the offender being the man commits against the girl over thirteen years but not yet over fifteen years of age with her consent and the Court grants such man and girl to marry together afterwards, the offender shall not be punished for such offence. If the Court grants them to marry together during the offender be still inflicted with the punishment, the Court shall release such offender."

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#276

Thanks for that BMT.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, starky said:

A bonfide rape? Really? Well I'm well on my way to fifty and I was having sex well before I was 16 as were many of the people grew up around in fact we were statutory raping the <deleted> out of each other as kids do. Its rape by legal definition not rape by violence or coercion when you are talking specifically about children of similar ages as this OP clearly is. I knew 17 year olds who were dating 15 years olds. I've known 18 years olds dating 15 year olds growing up and their parents knew about it.

I don't know anyone in their right mind that would condone rape or sexual assault or people in a position of authority using that power to molest children, but when you are talking about teens who are becoming  aware of their sexuality and experimenting with other teens of similar ages it's ludicrous to state the they are all violent crimes. 

Most if not all would be "rape" by legal definition only in the circumstances discussed in this OP 

I make my comment on the comment describing statutory rape as a "technicality".  Unfortunately, you are unaware either through indifference or ignorance of sexual activity in young adolescent age group today.   You have gone off into the clouds and dumped irrelevant information regarding your past sexual history. The world has changed from what you think was fun time back in 1960's.  Yes, some sex is consensual between two young people in momentary passion of love, but sadly, today, much is due to coercion and intimidation. It is part of the bully culture that is epidemic in Thai school.

I do not make this up. Nation reported that "Mental Health Department has shown that about 600,000 Thai children are bullied at school, accounting for 40 per cent of all students and making Thailand No 2 in the world for the problem, behind Japan."  https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30357767    This was not solitary report.  "About 92% of schoolchildren in Thailand have been subjected to physical or psychological abuse by peers at least once, while 13% are clinically depressed due to bullying, according to a recent survey by the Network of Legal Advocates for Children and Youth." http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Bullying-warning:-92-of-Thai-youth-are-affected--49000.html   Bully activity includes sex abuse activity by children close in age.  Again, this is not unique to Thailand but found everywhere in Europe, Australia, America.

Today, school children circulate pictures of themselves in state of nakedness, often obtained through threat or misappropriation. These pictures are shared  and the  people in them can be forced to provide sex if they do not want pictures to be shared.  Do not assume that all teenage sex activity is pure romance because today it is not. Thailand schools, like schools around the world have a subculture of rape and exploitation. It is quiet, but  is there.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Confused 1