DDC discourages inter-provincial travel as Songkran comes to an end

snoop1130

It's a bit like closing the stable door after the horse is already 100 miles down the road.  Isaan workers who have been packed on buses and celebrating Songkran without social distanciing or masks and sleeping on the floor like sardines are now going to work from home in their villages. 

The government forgot to provide them with the remote working app that allows them to work as cleaners, guards, construction workers etc remotely.  They should send them the smart phones too.

What oafs and how sad for Thai people that such morons are in charge.

• Like 2

"He said the number corresponds to the country’s vaccination target ahead of the mass vaccination drive starting in June, with 6-10 million doses of vaccine arriving monthly."

It remains to be seen whether the inexperienced local licesee of AZ will be able to produce these quantities. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think what we are seeing is a tug of war between the technocrats and the politicians.

Health officials (meaning the actual trained health professionals in the MoPH not the political appointee who heads it) advised against allowing travel from the get go. (For that matter also advised against ever re-opening bars/night clubs/karaoke spots). Politicians would not listen. Meanwhile things have continued to worsen and now the politicos are agreeing that limits may be necessary.

But of course it is absurd and impossible to bar people from returning to their homes. Especially for a problem that is not going to go away anytime soon.

Sounds like a realistic appraisal of the situation.  The professionals at the MoPH can't be all idiots but their hands are tied by political bosses who make them look stupid. 

From the very beginning of the pandemic, the government has consistently taken measures well behind the curve and failed to prepare for the worst. Last year it got lucky and wasn't penalised for its indecisiveness.  This year the get out of jail free card may not be available. 

1 hour ago, Jiggo said:
20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Most people can recover from Covid!

1 hour ago, Jiggo said:

OK then, only the poor will die anyway, due to poor healthcare....

If Thailand has, what you call, poor healthcare, how come there have only been 97 deaths throughout this entire pandemic?

And before you spring to your keyboard, being poor is not a factor. Covid treatment is free for All citizens.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think what we are seeing is a tug of war between the technocrats and the politicians.

56 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Sounds like a realistic appraisal of the situation.  The professionals at the MoPH can't be all idiots but their hands are tied by political bosses who make them look stupid. 

From the very beginning of the pandemic, the government has consistently taken measures well behind the curve and failed to prepare for the worst. Last year it got lucky and wasn't penalised for its indecisiveness.  This year the get out of jail free card may not be available. 

I've been following the situation in my own home country, the UK and seems that a similar situation exists there as well. And don't even get me going on the shambles in the US!

DDC discourages inter-provincial travel as Songkran comes to an end

this incompetent government doesn't know about preventive actions/advise/measures VS the after the fact actions/advise/measures, they have everything back words and he does expect the people to self-isolate for 14 days.  ????????????????????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

It's a bit like closing the stable door after the horse is already 100 miles down the road.  Isaan workers who have been packed on buses and celebrating Songkran without social distanciing or masks and sleeping on the floor like sardines are now going to work from home in their villages. 

The government forgot to provide them with the remote working app that allows them to work as cleaners, guards, construction workers etc remotely.  They should send them the smart phones too.

What oafs and how sad for Thai people that such morons are in charge.

This has happened before. Bizarrely COVID didn't take hold then for some reason 

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Please don't help with the anti-Asian problem that laying blame on an entire race of people perpetuates. Let's just deal with the virus.

So the Chinese virus did not start in Woohan, Woohan is not in China. I have read everything wrong? Sorry.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:03 PM, RickBradford said:

Oh, they knew all right.

But Thailand is a country - unlike the West - where the government still has a healthy fear of the populace.

If they had tried to ban Songkran travel at the last minute after promising for months that it could go ahead, almost nobody would have taken any notice. Never give an order unless you are fairly sure it will be obeyed.

The good news is, that despite all these scary pictures on TV of people in orange T-shirts marked "Must be isolated" being marched into field hospitals, the total death toll from Covid remains, according to the last figure I saw, at 97. That is, less than 2 days' carnage on the roads. Some crisis.

If it does have a negative effect and let's hope it doesn't it probably won't be apparent yet. They did well in stopping the virus coming into the country but it remains to be seen if they can stop it spreading domestically.

It wouldn't have been easy to stop Songkran at a late stage but if they end up locking down a lot of provinces that could be worse.

My wife's family work in government departments. My wife works locally and her sister and daughter who have travelled back home work in Bangkok. We'll see if their part of government is listening to the DDC regarding working remotely. They travelled by bus so they'll have to go back the same way.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:36 PM, snoop1130 said:

The department is recommending people currently visiting their hometown during Songkran holidays postpone their return trip and instead work remotely from their current location if possible, while people who need to return are asked to use private vehicles.

ROFLM<deleted>AO

My theory is that the PM and his government wanted the infected City people of Bangkok and other cities,  to travel

upcountry to spread the joy of of this corona virus. The elderly population would get to see their city families

then say hello to the virus and die off, so that the government would not have to keep paying their pensions

or other money of any kind.  I sure do have a high opinion of the government, 555.

Geezer

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

My theory is that the PM and his government wanted the infected City people of Bangkok and other cities,  to travel

upcountry to spread the joy of of this corona virus. The elderly population would get to see their city families

then say hello to the virus and die off, so that the government would not have to keep paying their pensions

or other money of any kind.  I sure do have a high opinion of the government, 555.

Geezer

Cynical but you never know with this government and their supporters etc given their level of distain for up-country people.

12 minutes ago, Excel said:

Cynical but you never know with this government and their supporters etc given their level of distain for up-country people.

Gotta stop the protests somehow I would surmise. Shooting them like Myanmar has done wont work here,  so making covid rampant must have been a strategy game they played.  Never saw that when i played stratego.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Gotta stop the protests somehow I would surmise. Shooting them like Myanmar has done wont work here,  so making covid rampant must have been a strategy game they played.  Never saw that when i played stratego.

Well don't forget who had overall responsibility for that tactic in 2010. It worked for him then so I still would not put it past him to try again. Covid could be a natural form of genocide perhaps, but for that to play out would he really want his corrupt lieutenants to catch it also ? 

39 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well don't forget who had overall responsibility for that tactic in 2010. It worked for him then so I still would not put it past him to try again. Covid could be a natural form of genocide perhaps, but for that to play out would he really want his corrupt lieutenants to catch it also ? 

Thinning his own heard as well.  Where has Prawit been for the past 2 weeks by the way?

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thinning his own heard as well.  Where has Prawit been for the past 2 weeks by the way?

In another post I said I was worried about him as the high end watch retailers were looking for him due to a slump in sales.  Either that or the fat elephant is still laying in one of those Thong Lor clubs, up a corner some where as he has not been discovered as it was assumed to be just a pile of garbage.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If Thailand has, what you call, poor healthcare,

A falang perspective.

I have been attending a government hospital on a regular basis throughout the pandemic without a problem. Over 4 million waiting for treatment in the UK with some dying as they wait. That is what I would class as "poor" healthcare.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

A falang perspective.

I have been attending a government hospital on a regular basis throughout the pandemic without a problem. Over 4 million waiting for treatment in the UK with some dying as they wait. That is what I would class as "poor" healthcare.

But can we have some perspective here please. The government hospitals here, like the OP suggests, provide a a caring and professional service. The UK hospital I understand likewise provide that same level of care. Health workers here and there are some of the most dedicated workers you will find on this planet.    A poor healthcare system is just that , a poor system that cause delays perhaps but once you are in the hospitals both here and there they amongst the best in the world for care