Shopping malls in Thailand ordered to close at 9pm 

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So you don't agree that limiting the hours where people can mingle and cough and sneeze on each other is a good idea? Yes, Covid is lurking on surfaces everywhere just waiting to be transported somewhere, but if nobody's touching them or spreading them around for a good twelve hours or so, where's the downside?

They are closing basically 1 hour earlier than normal.  Already many have not been opening until 11am, and they are fairly busy from after opening until the lunch crowd has filtered out.  With the heat now, its normal to see many hanging out inside all day long with their computers and phones trying to save on money from using their aircons and then of course hanging out where its cool for those living true Thai Style with just a fan room. Downside, well where to begin, but I wont because i could write a montage.  

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never felt much need for air-con, happy enough in the open air with a fan.

Can't understand people who come to the tropics and don't like the heat.

Most of those I see inside Brit are not foreigners but Thai's.  It also amazes me.  It is this time of the year when the humidity gets to me here in Bangkok along with the PM 2.5 and I can not open the sliders. That's why my electric bill goes up starting with my April bill and does not drop back down until around the August billing cycle.  I run the Aircon at 26 in the rooms I am in with a fan as well as the Air Purifiers. Night time, the AC is at 24 for a restful sleep.  The malls are to damned cold for me, always need to carry a heavy top with me to wear if I go to the mall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

What the heck does this do...most close at 22 or 23:00 right now?

It will do sweet F.A. They were more or less empty at that in Phuket anyway so all they are doing is saving themselves some money.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Shopping malls are usually busier in the evening than during daytime.............................not taken in account the foreigners that go for the aircon

Early evening yes...by 21:00 and later they're mostly empty. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

So you don't agree that limiting the hours where people can mingle and cough and sneeze on each other is a good idea? Yes, Covid is lurking on surfaces everywhere just waiting to be transported somewhere, but if nobody's touching them or spreading them around for a good twelve hours or so, where's the downside?

If you feel it's important, why not limit the hours to ZERO?

It will become important again. I reckon before the end of the month we will see a 2 to 4 week general closure to halt this spread, just like several other countries have had to do.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Metapod said:

It does the opposite. It limits the amount of hours people visit the mall, which means more people will visit the mall at the same time.

Logic.

No it doesn't. More people decide that they don't really need the hassle or the increased risk and stay away from the mall completely. If takings were up on a shorter mall opening, they'd adopt shorter hours and close early all the time and save a fortune on utilities. But they aren't, so they won't and they don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

All shopping malls in Thailand will close at 9pm until further notice, it was announced on Wednesday.

Ye Gods!

Will this make one iota of difference?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Anyone that has used a Thai mall in the later evening will know that they are usually so empty compared to their size that on occasion you would need use a megaphone to speak to the person in front of you, let alone being at risk of catching covid.

Top floor in Maya shopping mall in CM is usually packed and busy in the evenings. They have entertainment and bars on that floor...so that is the reason.. I guess down of the malls in Bangkok are similar. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susco said:

Shopping malls are usually busier in the evening than during daytime.............................not taken in account the foreigners that go for the aircon

If that's the case, customers will just go in earlier.... 

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

All shopping malls in Thailand will close at 9pm

good idea

I love Thailand and especially the daily challenge of trying to work out the impossible - making sense of government 

I can work out how they have enriched themselves and that is quite easy when the gun holds more power than the brain

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Wrong Mr Opas, the period right before Songkran was critical to control the outbreak, now the horse has bolted already

Exactly. It shows how poorly educated their leaders often are. They don't understand cause and effect. 

The damage is already done. 

In about 2 weeks, the numbers will likely sharply increase. 

• Like 1