Possible refund of first round stimulus check with 2020 tax returns for those married to a Thai and filing joint taxes

There may be some good news for those of us who are married to a Thai wife and who file US taxes jointly but did not get a first US Stimulus Check.  My tax software indicated we may still qualify for the first round check which was a surprise to me.  So looked it up online and found this:

*Source: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-c-calculating-my-first-economic-impact-payment

Q C2. I filed a joint return with my spouse and one of us has an IRS ITIN.  Did we receive a payment (updated March 16, 2021)
"No, the first Economic Impact Payment was not made to married couples filing joint returns unless both spouses had Social Security numbers valid for employment or at least one spouse was a member of the military. In December 2020, the COVID-related Tax Relief Act of 2020 changed this requirement. As a result, a married couple filing a joint return is eligible for a partial 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit when only one spouse has a Social Security number valid for employment. If you and your spouse didn’t receive the first Economic Impact Payment because one of you did not have a Social Security number valid for employment, you may be eligible to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a  2020 tax return to claim the credit."

So if you file a tax return you may be able to obtain a refund for the $1200 first round stimulus.
Personally I'm not going to get excited unless the refund show up.  But it is encouraging. 

Edited by connda

22 hours ago, pmarlin said:

I claimed the credit and filed 12Feb21 and my return has been processing since then. Seems if you your 1040 on line 30 shows a credit your return is held for further review.

I'd assume that they would review that credit and check to see if the first stimulus check was issued as well as calculating how much of the credit you are qualified to receive if any.  My Tax Software said I qualified, so if I get the Stimulus refund cool. 

On 4/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, pmarlin said:

I claimed the credit and filed 12Feb21 and my return has been processing since then. Seems if you your 1040 on line 30 shows a credit your return is held for further review.

Yes, this seems like a fairly common reason for refunds to be delayed pending review.

For some, the IRS may have sent a letter (5071C) - which I'll never receive - asking for information.

I claimed $1,200 as a Recovery Rebate Credit, and eFiled. Waiting until the end of the month to call for a status.

Almost wish they'd refund the difference and just keep the $1,200 at this point.

I included a cover letter (PDF attachment to eFile) detailing my EIP #1 situation.