Thailand reports 1,543 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

Governor of Bangkok informs the public to call hotline 1668, 1669, or 1330 if tested positive for COVID-19 and can’t find hospital bed

Pol.Gen. Aswin Kwanmuang, Governor of Bangkok, revealed that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) had been working together with the Ministry of Public Health and other relevant organizations in creating better understanding among the public on the management of beds in hospitals to accommodate COVID-19 patients in the area of Bangkok Metropolis.

This included providing information highlighting the contact channels for patients, who were confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 but cannot be hospitalized due to the shortage of hospital beds, to call the Department of Medical Service’s hotline at 1668, the National Institute for Emergency Medicine’s hotline at 1669 or the National Health Security Office’s hotline at 1330 for 24 hours.

(more)

https://prbangkok-eng.com/index.php/2021/04/14/governor-of-bangkok-informs-the-public-to-call-hotline-1668-1669-or-1330-if-tested-positive-for-covid-19-and-cant-find-hospital-bed/

67812548_Hotlines6.jpg.f727131e767ae67bf5da962f22f3704d.jpg

29 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

It is worrying, but not as worrying as you might think as in Thailand everyone with positive test-results are hospitalized. This is also so even if you have mild or no symptoms. I am pretty sure the majority falls into that category.

What I really like to know is how many tests they have done and the positive ratio from those. I fear the numbers of tests done are limited and the positive ratio be high.

WB

YES, this is exactly the point !  these 1,543 are tested and found, there are UNKNOWN not been found !  the crazy reality, they start COMING BACK to Bangkok in next coming couple of days ! and back to the society as usual !

they could be someone in your distant families, someone in the gym you go everyday, someone in the office just a desk away . . .

Bangkok Nightlife Clusters Expose Thailand’s Virus Stumbles

BANGKOK (AP) — When Thailand’s transport minister was recently diagnosed with COVID-19, it was Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha who got a headache.

Prayuth was not particularly lauded for his leadership last year against the coronavirus, but for much of 2020 Thailand fought the disease to a standstill, with low infection and death rates envied by more developed countries.

Now, an outbreak at nightspots in the capital Bangkok has sent new infections surging, suggesting the country may have been lulled into a false sense of security before mass vaccinations begin.

(more)

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/04/15/bangkok-nightlife-clusters-expose-thailands-virus-stumbles/

Today's province by province new case numbers report:

The provinces are listed in the order provided by the Ministry of Public Health, which orders them based on their cumulative number of COVID cases (not the latest day numbers).

5-15-21i.jpg.238ae8a5eb7d671c45227bff52e7ca0a.jpg

Yesterday's report is listed below for comparison:

04-14-21.jpg.20c0a03377b11aa5ba37c224307aa308.jpg

23 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Covid is very far from being out of control in Thailand, at the moment.

Out of control would be tens of thousands of cases per day.

I don't believe it will get anywhere near that, there is no blanket lockdown but increasing measures are being applied - and they will work

If you test maybe you find! If test result still almost 5% infected rate , something is really wrong!

12 minutes ago, sapson said:

Here is the problem if you are asymptomatic how are you going to get tested if local hospitals only test those with major symptoms or those who have links to the entertainment venues on the hot list, thats a miniscule percentage of the general population.

Testing should have been freely and easily available to all but it would have caused a major depletion of the generals trough and an enormous dose of reality and loss of face.

Not that hard to get tested GF was not symptomatic and just came in a restaurant where they had people who were infected. She just went to a drive through testing program and was tested. Day later got called negative.

But this was in BKK maybe harder to do in the provinces.

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For the 7 day period 29 March - 4 April the positivity rate was 0.7%.

However that is overall, inclusive of tests done on travellers in quarantine.  I think rate would be much higher in some subsets of people tested/locations.

They have nto updated lab data online since 4 April and of course that is when the big surge in cases occurred. I expect we'll see an update next week after the holidays end.

Sheryl, can you or others here help with this chart that I noticed today in the MoPH briefing docs:

898462972_COVIDLabTests2.jpg.13f76c2eef739f559a261f30283a4846.jpg

Personally unless I feel sick I'd rather not get tested.

I will stick to being careful and self-isolate in my already isolated village. It's not too difficult in a place with 1 restaurant and no bars in a 2 hour radius. The wife meanwhile has been turning down invites to tambons and temples, as well as neighbours asking her to 'come drink'.

I understand why they favour hospitalisation or preferably an ASQ hotel (or god forbid, a field hospital) as most people are incapable of such self control for 2 weeks, but while free for Thai I reckon it's a perfect opportunity to fleece those who have to pay for a forced 2 week quarantine

There was no EN news briefing today because of the Song Kran holidays, and a relatively brief TH briefing.

As usual, the MoPH presented a collection of 20+ slides updating on the COVID outbreak, including the following:

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/306427730975558

Familiar graph showing the daily numbers of self-referred cases (the red line) and those detected through outreach testing (the tan bars) since mid-December 2020.

Screenshot_7.jpg.1258101f804663e633db0d2a8c8a6176.jpg

Graph showing the spread of COVID cases by province during the past four weeks:

Screenshot_15.jpg.a6b8e92368ff3551e2b136f9f5919aef.jpg

Just now, beano2274 said:

The Thai Government and the Europeans have all been the same, REACTIVE, the UK was proactive after a while got the vaccine even before it was cleared to be used, and now look there people are going back shopping and in the pubs, but will it last.

After Songkhran it will get worse, a huge rollout of vaccinations is required soonest, and the Government need to clamp down like in France with curfews.

It'll never happen. Any Thai government  will avoid like the plague doing anything which resembles something a foreign government does. Come on, you know this perfectly well.

I once worked for a company in England which was much the same, insisted on doing everything their own "unique" way. in the process they  buggered everything up, until finally they went broke. Then of course it was somebody else's fault.

Nothing new under the sun. The more things change, the more things stay exactly the same, which sounds profound enough for someone to translate into French.

Or Thai... nah, just kidding.

Edited by ParkerN

Announcement!!!

Fear Not. The Control is under control.  You ungrateful dirty people don't understand our professional work. The Thong-lor incident was wrongly reported. It was a secret government meeting. So now you know. We made big improvements, and we came up with the final solution with TAT. Unfortunately because of some reckless entertainment venues, we had to start working from home, but our productivity rate is exponential. TAT just announced their new plan of how to make Thailand the HUB of vaccine tourism and how to integrate this new market into their sandbox model. Airplanes are already on the taxiway with trillioners (or gazillionares) on board who are predicted to spend 10 to the power of 100 Bhat (It's a googol) per day. New slogan: Thailand Is Great Egain ®. AKA: TIGER.  

Calm down wherever you traveled during songran, or go back to your country if you doubt our professionalism.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, BookShe said:

Announcement!!!

Fear Not. The Control is under control.  You ungrateful dirty people don't understand our professional work. The Thong-lor incident was wrongly reported. It was a secret government meeting. So now you know. We made big improvements, and we came up with the final solution with TAT. Unfortunately because of some reckless entertainment venues, we had to start working from home, but our productivity rate is exponential. TAT just announced their new plan of how to make Thailand the HUB of vaccine tourism and how to integrate this new market into their sandbox model. Airplanes are already on the taxiway with trillioners (or gazillionares) on board who are predicted to spend 10 to the power of 100 Bhat (It's a googol) per day. New slogan: Thailand Is Great Egain ®. AKA: TIGER.  

Calm down wherever you traveled during songran, or go back to your country if you doubt our professionalism.

Seems like that should be translated into Thai as soon as possible, and then printed on appropriately- sized bits of paper for distribution to all the ungrateful and dirty people attending the next international forum at which Mister Fish will attend. Got to get the message out as soon as possible. No, no point trying to  run off and wash or learn some gratitude now; The Thai people already know you are, I told them already, and the Thai people always believe every word I say.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

YES, this is exactly the point !  these 1,543 are tested and found, there are UNKNOWN not been found !  the crazy reality, they start COMING BACK to Bangkok in next coming couple of days ! and back to the society as usual !

they could be someone in your distant families, someone in the gym you go everyday, someone in the office just a desk away . . .

An better measure would be, how many of yesterday's 1543 cases were asymptomatic when tested?

I don't know but likely quite a few.  Thailand (not Prayut) has multiple established procedures to find such cases including extensive tracing, recommendations for people who may have been exposed,  two software tracking systems, proactive testing, and surge testing after outbreaks.

Since roughly half of the spreaders may be asymptomatic, and 30% may never get symptoms, all counties face these same issues.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

UK was not pro active was one of the worst preforming countries. Because of BJ. But they did redeem themselves with their vaccination drive nobody can deny that. But to act like the UK did it good from the start is laughable. 

I disagree with you.

Yesterday it was announced from the ONS that a quarter of ALL UK deaths were NOT from covid but with covid. If those numbers are - and should be - wiped off the covid figures, then it puts the UK below Italy, France, Russia.

I do not believe the UK will NOT end up the worst hit country in Europe when this pandemic is over. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

I disagree with you.

Yesterday it was announced from the ONS that a quarter of ALL UK deaths were NOT from covid but with covid. If those numbers are - and should be - wiped off the covid figures, then it puts the UK below Italy, France, Russia.

I do not believe the UK will NOT end up the worst hit country in Europe when this pandemic is over. 

You can disagree but what I am stating is the truth, the poster said the UK acted pro active. That was not the case it kept open when it was advice to close. BJ made flip flops all the time. So they were NOT proactive or good at the start. Now they are among the best because of their vaccination. So in the end you might be right that they wont be the worst. But that does not invalidate the statement that they started of wrong.

Just for your information many other countries report the same the UK did i know my country does. With covid. So did Italy. So I don't see how this changes anything. The only thing that might work for the UK is with their high vaccination right now so in the end they might have less deaths. But we will see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BookShe said:

Announcement!!!

That's a funny story but unfortunately there are some on this forum who will believe it.

• Haha 2

Crowded Hospitals Urging Patients to Consider Telemedicine

"More hospitals have urged people to seek health services via their telemedicine channels that include real-time doctor-patient consultations via video call and even home deliveries of medicines.

Hospitals have become more crowded as the number of patients is climbing since the latest wave of COVID-19 emerged in Bangkok and has spread rapidly to several provinces, with the highest number of new cases found per day.

Major hospitals that are offering telemedicine services include Siriraj Hospital, Ramathibodi Hospital, Samitivej Hospital, and 9 public hospitals in Bangkok under the National Health Security Office."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157951499402050

Last year on CNBC Andrew Ross Sorkin interviewed Nassim Nicholas Taleb, whose 2007 book popularized the term Black Swan. Sorkin referred to the pandemic as a black swan, and Taleb (who has an interest in keeping the term current) corrected him; the virus was a white swan, because we all knew, or should have, that such a thing could happen any time. Nevertheless, Sorkin kept referring to the crisis as a black swan, meaning that he didn't get Taleb's point, which has two or three parts: that true black swans are very rare, that people know very well the mix of things that can go wrong, and that the human failing is not to prepare properly for what we know very well may happen. A theme on this thread is that this government knows (or everyone else knows) what needs to be done, but being all too human they are not following up. That's hard to dispute.

More high-risk venues closed in Prachuap Khiri Khan as new COVID-19 cases surge

The provincial administration of Thailand’s southern province of Prachuap Khiri Khan has ordered the closure of several more types of venue, which are considered to represent a high risk for COVID-19 transmission, as daily new infections surge.

The venues to close until further notice are amusement parks, water parks, children’s playgrounds in the open or in malls, public swimming pools, cock and fish fighting rings, movie theatres, cram schools, health spas, with the exception of traditional Thai massage parlours or foot massage, boxing training camps, fitness clubs, internet cafes, game and snooker halls and martial arts schools.

The governor also said that entertainment events and parties, held either in public or on private property, are banned, except for weddings, ordinations and funerals.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/more-high-risk-venues-closed-in-prachuap-khiri-khan-as-new-covid-19-cases-surge/

29 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I disagree with you.

Each case would have to be looked at closely.

Lets say a man with covid dies in a car accident. We would both say he died due to the accident and not covid. But say he makes it to the hospital and dies 5 days later. Did he die from the injuries of the car accident? Would he have died if his body wasn't weakened by covid. The same goes for people that have a major health problem. Did they die due to the health problem or would they have lived many more years if they had not contacted the virus also. Why did they die now?

Someone famous just died, I can't remember his name, but he had covid. His family said he didn't die from covid because the death certificate said he died of pneumonia. Which begs the question?