Thailand reports 1,543 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

Away Friday next week. Won't be back until I'm fully vaccinated.

As soon as I can get Pfizer or Moderna, I'm also planning to get home. Not for long as I have business here, but after a year of sacrifice I realized that getting a vaccine in LOS will be a challenge. I'm not interested in Sinovac as it's a placebo at best. AZ is good even though the side effects, which is minuscule based on the numbers administered.

• Like 2

Field hospitals needed to help accommodate rising Covid cases: dept

Field hospitals are necessary to deal with new Covid-19 patients, especially since the number of cases in Thailand is rising daily.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has set up field hospitals at the Bang Khun Thian Geriatric Hospital, Rachaphiphat Hospital, 84th Anniversary Stadium and Bangkok Arena.

Field hospitals have also been set up in five provinces, including Chiang Mai, where new Covid-19 cases are on the rise.

(more)

161658569_FieldHospitals.jpg.9e1e423a19615c9702c2698a5558c55a.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

57 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I disagree with you.

Yesterday it was announced from the ONS that a quarter of ALL UK deaths were NOT from covid but with covid. If those numbers are - and should be - wiped off the covid figures, then it puts the UK below Italy, France, Russia.

I do not believe the UK will NOT end up the worst hit country in Europe when this pandemic is over. 

Do you have a link for this?  Been searching for this and haven't seen anything other than ONS announcing the 150K death milestone

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

If you are to believe the maths guys, it's already way beyond 10,000 per day in the real world. Reported cases in the USA were only 5% of the true estimate

Basically 20-25x more infections than reported

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7476454/

I know Thailand is not America, more rural hotter etc etc, but you get the idea

The paper is very far from being applicable here and now.

The paper's subject is modelling, not a reliable measurement. They model the very early period with minimal testing when little was known about the virus or spreading. It's a model for when you don't know, based on travel statistics. It was not expected to be accurate. From the authors:

"We would like to be very upfront that the estimation strategies outlined above are dependent on strong assumptions and reliable data on travel patterns, and that any results are very sensitive to these assumptions." Emphasis the authors.

If you want a measure of unreported cases, you need a recent comparison with a county with low cases where  testing and monitoring procedures similar to Thailand's are already in place.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

Tomorrow, at the rate cases are increasing daily, Thailand could well get close to or exceed 10,000 people in hospitals and temporary facilities due to testing positive for COVID. (That number is 8,973 as of today.)

Thus:

Self-Isolation.jpg.7c2f5b2786aa29cbfbf4243444d02334.jpg

"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has issued an advisory for those having tested positive for COVID-19 but have yet to find a hospital where they can be admitted to. The advisory includes a 10-day home quarantine.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said infected people living at home with other family members should take the following four steps: 1) Isolate themselves in a room/bedroom, 2) Avoid eating with other members of the family, 3) Separate garbage, and 4) Use a separate toilet.

Infected patients can get more advice on self-isolation at the Medical Department Hotline 1668, the National Institute of Emergency Medicine Hotline 1669, and the NHSO Hotline 1330, 24 hours a day."

It sounds like there are beginning to be delays in both getting COVID positive people assigned to, and then delivered to, their hospital or fields hospital locations. Hence the isolation advisory above.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said infected people living at home with other family members should take the following four steps: 1) Isolate themselves in a room/bedroom, 2) Avoid eating with other members of the family, 3) Separate garbage, and 4) Use a separate toilet.

Yeah ! Like this will happen......not

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No mention of whether they could still use the swimming pool along with other family members then?

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Covid is very far from being out of control in Thailand, at the moment.

Out of control would be tens of thousands of cases per day.

I don't believe it will get anywhere near that, there is no blanket lockdown but increasing measures are being applied - and they will work

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. I believe it's been "under control" from day 1. 

What happens if you put people in these field hospitals with bunks laying next to each other and you mix together several Covid variants? Serious question. Should the several variants be isolated from each other?

• Like 2

Thailand reports fourth record daily rise in coronavirus cases this week

2021-04-15T045544Z_1_LYNXMPEH3E068_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Local residents queue for a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) nasal swab test, in Bangkok, Thailand, April 14, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 1,543 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, the sharpest increase since the start of the pandemic and the fourth record rise this week, amid a third wave of infections in the Southeast Asian country.

While Thailand has up to now managed to keep case numbers relatively contained compared to many other countries, the new outbreak comes as many have travelled during the country's Songkran new year holidays and with vaccination rates still low.

Asked whether lockdowns would be imposed, health official Chawetsan Namwat said measures were being formulated based on case numbers in each area and would be proposed to the coronavirus taskforce for approval on Friday.

"We have to divide up the areas based on seriousness, which is different and so measures have to be suitable for each area," Chawetsan told a briefing.

Authorities have already urged people to limit travel and begin working from home. Shopping malls will also close at 9 p.m and the banking association said branches outside malls will shut at 3:30 p.m. and limit customer numbers.

Thailand's last major lockdown was in late March last year, with a curfew imposed in April, before seeing months of relatively relaxed curbs as cases stayed mainly contained.

Of the new infections reported on Thursday, 409 were in Bangkok, the epicentre of the outbreak.

The new cases took total infections to 37,453, with deaths remaining at 97.

The latest outbreak has already caused some strains on the healthcare system in Bangkok. All positive cases have to be admitted into care under Thai rules, with 8,973 patients currently being treated.

In a statement, the government said there was sufficient space to accommodate patients, especially in Bangkok and nearby provinces, with more than 6,000 beds arranged and 2,200 more planned including in field hospitals.

Chawetsan denied the rate of vaccination was slow but said the country had received only a limited doses. Government data showed about 2,000 additional vaccinations by Thursday from a day earlier out a total of 581,308.

Thailand has vaccinated less than 0.4% of its population, trailing neighbours like Malaysia with 1.5% and 14.6% in Singapore, according to a Reuters estimate.

The country has received two million doses of China's Sinovac shots and 117,300 AstraZeneca shots.

The government's main vaccination strategy relies on locally-produced AstraZeneca shots, which are expected to start being delivered in June, with the aim of inoculating half of the adult population by the end of the year.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-15

Meanwhile, next-door...

Cambodia launches lockdown in capital as COVID-19 outbreak spreads

(Reuters) - Cambodia brought in a coronavirus lockdown in Phnom Penh and a satellite district of the capital on Thursday in a bid to contain a spike in coronavirus cases in a country that up until recently had largely managed to contain infections.

Under the lockdown, which Prime Minister Hun Sen announced late on Wednesday, most people are banned from leaving home except for going to work, to buy food or for medical treatment.

Police manning checkpoints on Thursday in Phnom Penh asked motorists to show work documents and identity cards in order to pass, television footage on local media showed.

(more)

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2C20GB?__twitter_impression=true

27 minutes ago, John Drake said:

What happens if you put people in these field hospitals with bunks laying next to each other and you mix together several Covid variants? Serious question. Should the several variants be isolated from each other?

Thats needs an expert to explain but a very good question that hopefully those in charge of this policy are aware of, or not?

• Like 2

And some folks just won't get the message:

The governor of Sakon Nakhon ordered the conviction of the violators to join the Songkran festival and consider disciplinary action on those involved After social sharing pictures of people playing in the water at Songkran festival without measures to prevent COVID-19 #ThaiPBS#ข่าวเที่ยง#โควิด19

• Like 2

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Away Friday next week. Won't be back until I'm fully vaccinated.

Have you arranged a private lab test or hospital test and what is the rough cost?

Thanks for any info as i am considering bringing forward my departure and any info on procedures is much appreciated!

Just now, sapson said:

Have you arranged a private lab test or hospital test and what is the rough cost?

Thanks for any info as i am considering bringing forward my departure and any info on procedures is much appreciated!

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. 3.8k baht. Same day results.

Don't forget your Passenger Locator Form which must include a reference for your pre booked day 2 and day 8 tests for  your UK quarantine. Can't be completed until 48 hours before your flight.

https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And some folks just won't get the message:

The governor of Sakon Nakhon ordered the conviction of the violators to join the Songkran festival and consider disciplinary action on those involved After social sharing pictures of people playing in the water at Songkran festival without measures to prevent COVID-19 #ThaiPBS#ข่าวเที่ยง#โควิด19

Have you ever known Thais to miss Sanook.  Time to pay the piper.

5 hours ago, ETatBKK said:

8,973 people remain in hospital receiving treatment

this is very worrying

Why is that very worrying?
If a person is tested positive,  is it not mandatory protocol for them to be treated and remain in hospital for 2/3  weeks until they are cleared? 

Edited by Kaopad999