Thailand reports 1,543 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

9 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Each case would have to be looked at closely.

Lets say a man with covid dies in a car accident. We would both say he died due to the accident and not covid. But say he makes it to the hospital and dies 5 days later. Did he die from the injuries of the car accident? Would he have died if his body wasn't weakened by covid. The same goes for people that have a major health problem. Did they die due to the health problem or would they have lived many more years if they had not contacted the virus also. Why did they die now?

Someone famous just died, I can't remember his name, but he had covid. His family said he didn't die from covid because the death certificate said he died of pneumonia. Which begs the question?

It sounds like you don’t understand the job of a medical examiner. Nor the differences between a chronic illness and an acute condition.

Pneumonia is a symptom, not a disease, BTW.

If your point is that the fatality numbers are overstated, you are wrong.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yesterday it was announced from the ONS that a quarter of ALL UK deaths were NOT from covid but with covid. If those numbers are - and should be - wiped off the covid figures, then it puts the UK below Italy, France, Russia.

I saw that claim (23%) in a couple of UK news reports. I also saw that other UK media and apparently Public Health England are continuing to use the 125,000+ deaths figure. So I'm not sure who's right in all of that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I saw that claim (23%) in a couple of UK news reports. I also saw that other UK media and apparently Public Health England are continuing to use the 125,000+ deaths figure. So I'm not sure who's right in all of that.

Whenever the figures are quoted on UK news they are always predicated with "people dying within 28 days of a positive test", so there is no confusion, just a constant and understandable way of quickly showing the problem.

They used to announce the excess deaths above a 5 year average, but that seems to have been dropped from the announcements.

The way the figures are going, it'll be about a week before the UK is behind Thailand in new infections. In 4 months the UK has gone from basket case to easily manageable and that is down to the vaccination programme. Thailand needs to vaccinate - fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For the purpose of reporting quickly, some places count as a COVID death anyone who dies within 28 days of a positive COVID test. The real numbers are released over time, as death certificates are generated by medical examiners.  COVID Deniers use this practice to claim that very few people actually die from Covid19.

But, one should ask themselves, how many people do you think get a positive Covid19 test and then die from say, skydiving or auto accidents? The numbers of such coincidences is small, but the COVID Deniers will use any misleading number to fool you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you believe this government was elected and expects the unexpected? just a question.  I don't believe they ever have contingent plans, and no long range planning in place to assist when the feces hits the fan.  TAT is one example of someone who makes long range plans and yet they are always out to lunch.

They make long range plans for lunch reservations. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, polpott said:

Suppose he told his girlfriend that he'd caught Covid from another girl, she kicked him in the nuts, he staggered backwards and fell off the balcony? 100% Covid related.

Suppose he read too many Covid conspiracy stories on TV, became suicidal and threw himself off the balcony? 100% Covid related, I'd say.

More to follow........

It's quite common for farangs to fall off their balcony, even before covid.

18 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

1619282328_Screenshot2021-04-15at08_03_35.png.f3dc567057a4a055e514a6ec8d9cf31d.png

That "active case search" is ridiculous to report in diffent number! Like they want say "we do something"

! Ofcource its normal to watch if people close to infected one are infected also!!!!

Thainland is only coundry to report that number!

What it really highlights is that nearly 80% of new casers are people they are not actively looking for and that go to hospital as they are sick.  For each of those there must be several who have no symptoms or too mild to go to a hospital.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

With numbers this high before the end of Songrkran, it is not looking good.

I personally thought numbers would drop due to people being on holidays. Next week is going to be fun...

1st and 2nd waves dropped by themselves without the need for lockdown

Numbers might be higher for this one but maybe they'll drop the same way..

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, cyril sneer said:

Well let's all hope the numbers drop but the signs currently are not good

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It sounds like you don’t understand the job of a medical examiner. Nor the differences between a chronic illness and an acute condition.

Pneumonia is a symptom, not a disease, BTW.

If your point is that the fatality numbers are overstated, you are wrong.

You missed understood what I was saying. I was answering a post that stated he thought the numbers of deaths in the UK were  overstated and that some that were attributed to covid should be thrown out.

Anyway, I found this on how it is counted in the US

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/how-are-covid-19-deaths-counted-it-s-complicated

The death certificate process

Many people think of a death certificate as a precise final verdict. But often, the document reflects a judgment that weighs the roles of multiple conditions, taking into account a person’s medical history along with their most recent medical data and symptoms.

“There always have been cases where there are gray areas of death certification,” says Aiken, immediate past president of the National Association of Medical Examiners.

COVID-19 cases can paint lots of gray. In an instructional video for filling out death certificates in cases that might or might not be attributed to COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises health professionals to “use your best clinical judgment.”

Here is how the process typically works:

Who fills out the certificate

When someone dies in a health care facility, the task of determining the cause usually goes to a physician who oversaw the person’s care or the person’s primary care doctor. Coroners and medical examiners make the determination in various other instances, including deaths that are unexpected, violent, or occur at home.

How death causes are recorded

Part I and II of a death certificate ask what caused a death and what other factors contributed to it. If COVID-19 appears among the causes and contributors, CDC guidance counts that as a COVID-19-related death.

Part I asks for the “immediate cause” of death, followed by any “conditions that led to the immediate cause,” the CDC explains in guidelines for certifying COVID-19 fatalities. For example: In some COVID-19 cases, the immediate cause is an affliction that arose from the disease, such as pneumonia, while COVID-19 gets listed under that as an underlying condition that led to death. In other words, COVID-19 caused the pneumonia.

Part II asks for conditions that did not set off medical events that led to death but contributed in some other way. Here, COVID-19 appears as sort of an accomplice to a fatality that was probably going to occur from something else (such as a preexisting, terminal disease), albeit later than if the person had not contracted COVID-19.

For instance: In Aiken’s example of a patient near death from Alzheimer’s disease before contracting COVID-19 (which she described as taken from several cases, not one in particular), COVID-19 would be a contributing condition, not a cause. “She was already in decline, had a short life expectancy, and COVID-19 may have tipped her over, but just barely,” Aiken says.

27 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Last years covid strain, this years covid strain are very different unfortunately. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sapson said:

Have you arranged a private lab test or hospital test and what is the rough cost?

Thanks for any info as i am considering bringing forward my departure and any info on procedures is much appreciated!

Govt hospital Udon Thani: 3600. AEK Hosp., Udon thani: 3900. 

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This was a comparison as of a couple days ago via Reuters:

1084302733_VaccinationRatesforTHvsAsia.jpg.79a209aaad7744c189a6214a6ed5f626.jpg

Could it be that vaccines are available for the hierarchy and the rest of the populations can sort themselves out with herd immunity ?  Life is cheap in some countries and money/ economy is number one , survival of the fittest and ridding the country of the needy ? 

22 hours ago, polpott said:

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. 3.8k baht. Same day results.

Don't forget your Passenger Locator Form which must include a reference for your pre booked day 2 and day 8 tests for  your UK quarantine. Can't be completed until 48 hours before your flight.

https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

My advice having arrived in the UK (Heathrow ) 28/04/2021 . Have your  , pre booked day 2/8 UK test receipt , Bangkok covid pre 72 hour travel result , Passenger locator info , all printed on A4 paper that is easy for the Border Control Officer to inspect as opposed to flicking through iphones ( signal and battery can be a problem ) . Plus of course your Passport . Expect delays in the immigration hall , me delayed 3 hours but hearing some delayed 7 hours and more