Tap Washers

Joinaman

Yup ^^^.

Actually, taking it apart and descaling it (use hydrochloric acid or vinegar) may well solve the issues.

I just replace when they start dripping.

We have some that are still just fine from 2011 when we moved in, others have been replaced multiple times.

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Probably not a washer as us older guys understand, it is probably a fixed and a movable ceramic opposing components, the problem is usually the plastic part that applies some pressure onto the movable part to apply some sealing pressure, I have solved the problem a few times by fitting a very small section O ring between the ceramic and the plastic part. 

Thanks Artisi

forgot with such a short turn that it would be ceramic, so used to the old rubber tap washers 

Not stripped it out yet, no stop tap on the incoming pipe so need one of those too

Will have a look at the O ring and give it a try

Seems a shame to buy a new tap for the sake of a simple fix 

Thanks again, much appreciated 

Just now, Crossy said:

Yup ^^^.

Actually, taking it apart and descaling it (use hydrochloric acid or vinegar) may well solve the issues.

I just replace when they start dripping.

We have some that are still just fine from 2011 when we moved in, others have been replaced multiple times.

You replace the complete tap ?

Any make of tap here in Thailand that actually lasts more than a couple of years ?

Replaced the bathroom taps after 3 years, this is the 2nd tap in the kitchen in 5 years, bought cheap the first time, bought expensive second time, not much difference in quality or lasting time 

Used to taps and things lasting for 10 to 20 years , 

Seems even the chrome does not last either on the fixtures and fittings

Thanks Crossy 

10 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

You replace the complete tap ?

'Fraid so, it may be possible to re-seat the beasts but I just buy mid-price units and replace as needed.

The main culprit is the kitchen mixer. Luckily I can buy a similar unit and replace just the tap, keeping the flexy and shower-head thingy as spares for when they fail.

• Like 1

This a pet peev of mine. I don’t enjoy crawling under the kitchen sink every two years to replace the tap. I have found that if you trot the leaky tap into HomePro and complain they will send it out to be rebuilt. Sometimes free, sometimes 500 Baht. Depends on how they are feeling that day. 

48 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

Leaking tap Hafele kitchen sink faucet; 739B from HomePro.  Customer service says has  5 year warranty.  
HomePro will just replace with new faucet instead of repair.

Thanks Prob

Will have a look at Hafele, but in rather cynical when i see any , so called , "Guarantee" in Thailand 

All my tabs, except the kitchen one, are VRH. Haven't had a failure yet in 9 years.

The kitchen tab is one of those which you can pull out, brought fom Aldi in Europe for the equivalent of 800 Baht, and is also still working fine

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

All my tabs, except the kitchen one, are VRH. Haven't had a failure yet in 9 years.

The kitchen tab is one of those which you can pull out, brought fom Aldi in Europe for the equivalent of 800 Baht, and is also still working fine

Thanks, but its a bit of a long way to get to the nearest Aldi, so will have to give that a miss. I think most taps bought in the UJ will last for many many years without problems, usually only changed due to refurbishment of the rooms

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Thanks, but its a bit of a long way to get to the nearest Aldi, so will have to give that a miss. I think most taps bought in the UJ will last for many many years without problems, usually only changed due to refurbishment of the rooms

Well you may have noticed that all other tabs in the house are VRH, which is a Thai brand

I have a bit of experience in Thailand with taps and faucets. I have daily knowledge of which companies will repair, which will replace and which will make excuses on warranties. VRH makes quality affordable stainless 304 taps and faucets. However some water is so bad you might consider the VRH 316 stainless line of taps and faucets. I've spent over 150K on VRH faucets, taps and fittings for a home in Satuk. NONE of the 99 year warranty fittings have ever tarnished. None. Two faucets which have 12 year warranties developed small leaks. VRH fixed both in a reasonable time. In fact they must have a polishing machine as both the kitchen mixer faucet and the bathroom mixer tap look brand new.  Toto and Cotto also sell dependable faucets and will also honor a warranty. Teka sell some very impressive and long lasting kitchen mixer taps in Thailand that are made in Germany. I could name the other brands that just make lame excuses and do not have spare parts. Thai Watsadu has the best selection of no name brand plumbing bits for D.I.Y. repairs. Boonthavorn imports some impressive floor tile. They however stock no special plumbing items and certainly do not discount any mainstream brands.  Very impressive showroom in Korat and Bangkok, but no plumbing items you could not order from a decent builders merchant store. They do stock more Toto items than any Homepro or Global House. 

https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-master-bedroom-suite/

or Kitchen hot and cold mixer taps by VRH and Teka 

https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-home-custom-kitchens/

Buriram Isaan VRH Stainless 304 PEX water pipe hose fittings.jpg

Buriram VRH Rain Shower Bathroom Plumbing Fixtures.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this post.

For those preferring to repair dripping faucets. 

I recently sent a parcel to my brother in LOS which included several ceramic inserts for his faucets not supported by a manufacturer.

Most faucets around Asia seem to use a standard range of 20mm-1/2 thread inserts with varying shaft lengths and direction of rotation. These are available everywhere in China so check if yours employs one of the standard inserts available at places like Shopee.

Example

insert2.jpg.45ab713c1201d90492aaca1e8ea8d0f8.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Just spotted this post.

For those preferring to repair dripping faucets. 

I recently sent a parcel to my brother in LOS which included several ceramic inserts for his faucets not supported by a manufacturer.

Most faucets around Asia seem to use a standard range of 20mm-1/2 thread inserts with varying shaft lengths and direction of rotation. These are available everywhere in China so check if yours employs one of the standard inserts available at places like Shopee.

Example

insert2.jpg.45ab713c1201d90492aaca1e8ea8d0f8.jpg

have found 1 size in DIY - but not the length in wanted - typical ????

• Like 1