UK: Requirement for smart 'phones

Does anyone have a grasp on how important smart 'phones are going to be for normal daily life?  My mother, who is in her 80s, doesn't have one, and is most reluctant to get one.  Is this going to cause problems for her, e.g. visiting restaurants and supermarkets?

my parents in 80s still pay mostly by cash, never use an ATM, go into bank to withdraw money. They can use bank cards no problem incl contactless. My dad uses a smartphone but only really for messages and WhatsApp calls, so a smartphone isn't essential but preferred but if no one is there to show them how to use it's futile

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

my parents in 80s still pay mostly by cash, never use an ATM, go into bank to withdraw money. They can use bank cards no problem incl contactless. My dad uses a smartphone but only really for messages and WhatsApp calls, so a smartphone isn't essential but preferred but if no one is there to show them how to use it's futile

But with the "new normal" smartphones are reportedly going to be required to visit pubs, and possibly other places.  Things are changing.

8 hours ago, Oxx said:

But with the "new normal" smartphones are reportedly going to be required to visit pubs, and possibly other places.  Things are changing.

It's probably the same as here, use a smartphone on entry or write in a book. They won't exclude elderly for not having a smartphone

• Like 2
5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's probably the same as here, use a smartphone on entry or write in a book. They won't exclude elderly for not having a smartphone

It happened to this guy in the UK, though the pub did apologise after the story hit the media, so a happy ending.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/15/pub-refuses-to-serve-pensioner-who-had-no-smartphone-to-use-an-app-14411034/

I guess its depends where you live as in the cities, more and more things seem to be going the 'mobile' way. However, I would say that generally, being online in some form is more of a requirement that having a smartphone. 

More and more government services are going online, bank branches are closing etc. etc. - if you can't or don't want to get online, you are fast becoming disadvantaged.

Quite a lot of financial transactions are confirmed by a 'One Time Password' sent to your phone but that's done by SMS so it doesn't (yet) require a smartphone but it does require a mobile signal. Both my UK banks and now Wise (Transferwise) have gone down that route.

I'm told that you can no longer pay bus fares in cities with cash but I don't think you need a phone to pay.

At the moment, I don't think your mother will have too many problems without a smartphone but the world is fast becoming 'cashless' so alternatives to cash are becoming essential.

What is annoying is the amount of companies/organisations that make life very easy for you if you have their 'App' and difficult for you if you don't.  My smartphone is 4 years old and I'm very happy to keep using it - however, the memory is full and I can't add more 'App's.

One example of this came a few weeks ago when I went to Leeds for a very important hospital appointment (PET Scan).  I had asked about parking as I was using a vehicle that is too high for the hospital's multi storey car park - I was assured there was no problem.  When I arrived it was a different story - there was some (very little) alternative parking but it was all a long way from the department I was going to and as I found, it was full. In the end I had to leave the hospital complex and park on a street quite a way off. 

I thought parking would be controlled by meter (its been a while since I parked in the city) but no, the meters have gone.  You either pay for parking on a private company's 'App' or you call an automated service on your phone.  I had to use the phone option which didn't work properly and getting to speak to an actual person was not easy.  Consequently I was late for my appointment even though I had allowed plenty of time and checked on parking prior to the date.

At the moment I would say that life is possibly easier with a smartphone but its not yet essential.  If you had said 'how easy is it to live your life without internet access' - that's a different matter.

It will all backfire one day.

Edited by KhaoYai