Well depth?

ilikethai

Not too sure about Wells but recently had a bore drilled. It all depends on your areas water table. My water depth 36 metres.

Worth checking but was told water deeper than 40 meters requires permission from a govt dept.

• Like 1

Just now, Tagged said:

Your drilling guy will know, as they hopefully know the area they are drilling. If not they will ask around with the neighbours and start from there. Most companies who drill, have a policy of no water no pay. 

And the 40m permission depends on where you are. We asked the village chief, and she said, just drill, no one cares here. The locals know what to do. I know it sounds strange for some, but sometimes they really do ????

And if you go to Ampur, you can be sure at the wrong one, you will have to pay a <deleted>load of money to get that paper, or they will turn you down and say can not. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farma said:

We had quotes of 5k to 9k to drill the bore. Also told the price is the same if water found at 1 metre or 40. 

..  probably depends on the area. Everybody in the village (6 households I think) paid ฿6 000 here, pump + various bits and pieces brought the cost to ฿12 - or 13 000. We found water at 27 metres.

7 minutes ago, cooked said:

..  probably depends on the area. Everybody in the village (6 households I think) paid ฿6 000 here, pump + various bits and pieces brought the cost to ฿12 - or 13 000. We found water at 27 metres.

We found water @30m but drilled to 60. Where you find water depends on the season you drilling, because the water table changes during the wet and dry season. Always better to drill deeper than the neighbour. 

We paid 32 000,- for plug and play all included + one year warranty. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cooked said:

We ended up paying 6k for a 4" bore. I then forked out 29k for a 2 panel 680w solar setup fully installed. I'm happy with it as it easily operates 6 sprinklers plus a garden hose at the same time (until cloud cover). 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tagged said:

We found water @30m but drilled to 60. Where you find water depends on the season you drilling, because the water table changes during the wet and dry season. Always better to drill deeper than the neighbour. 

We paid 32 000,- for plug and play all included + one year warranty. 

I hadn't thought about that, but the work was done towards the end of the dry season so I guess that's OK. Having a reputable and experienced crew doing the work is important.

We live on the plains not far from the mountains and the drillers all know how deep the water table is, in the wet season it is only two meters down, in the dry season it is about ten meters. We paid 18k to drill 32 meters at 4 inch, plastic lined, anything less than 4 inch and it's hard to find decent submersible pump options - pump and the electronics were all extra. The drillers want to keep drilling until they are able to drill through at least one strata of rock, they proudly left us with a large bag of chipped stone produced from drilling through rock as if to prove  they had done their job.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brierley said:

Check out how deep you need to go in your area to avoid iron deposits in the water, rust will shorten pump and sprinkler head life by 80%.

this is very important info!  Thank you.  So deeper is not always better right?  I was told to drill during dry season so the driller will have to drill deeper to get to the water and maintain water through out the seasons?  My Aussie friend and her Thai husband  drilled 32meters down right next to the foot of a small mountain, about 20m away.    Her water started coming out reddish brownish and when it rained it came out light muddy.

I was also told by a villager to stop drilling when water is found, check again, and drill extra 2 meters down then stop completely.  Is this true?  Does water table dry out during dry season?

9 minutes ago, ilikethai said:

this is very important info!  Thank you.  So deeper is not always better right?  I was told to drill during dry season so the driller will have to drill deeper to get to the water and maintain water through out the seasons?  My Aussie friend and her Thai husband  drilled 32meters down right next to the foot of a small mountain, about 20m away.    Her water started coming out reddish brownish and when it rained it came out light muddy.

I was also told by a villager to stop drilling when water is found, check again, and drill extra 2 meters down then stop completely.  Is this true?  Does water table dry out during dry season?

That dependes on how the resoar are formed, the formation itself,  how big the resoar are, and how many connected and how much pumped out from the resoar. 

Not everywhere there is salt either, but this the drillers should know if they know or are familar with the area they are drilling. 

Most likely the formation in thailand is sandstone and claystone. My guess in isan, but south more limestone. Again my best guess, so if any know the geological formations please let us know.

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

I had a deep well put in about 3 years ago.They went down 30 metres and the water came up full of grit and muck.Went down to 50 metres and the water came up clear.took 6 hours.No permission from the authorities was required.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ilikethai said:

As said, the water table near us is 2 meters below the surface during the rainy season and about 10 meters at the end of the dry season. The optimum time to drill would be near the end of the dry season , it would be smart to specify a number of meters  rather than just telling them to drill 2 meters below water depth. 

Muddy water is a sign of run off, that means a well hasn't been drilled deep enough, if you go through at least one later of rock you will not find muddy water. Rust on the other hand can be found at many depths but is typically found nearer to the surface rather than at depth. In the West the best advice is to drill below 40 feet but here it doesn't work that way. You also need to try and figure out who is competing for the water you will use, neighbors and farmers within a couple of kms. I compete with rice farmers who all have pumps and wells in their fields. At 20 meters my well was running dry in the evening because the farmers were using all the water. My work around for that was to wake up at 6am and water the garden after the farmers pumps had stopped and the water table had leveled out - my longer term workaround was to drill 10 meters deeper than the farmers but I reckon that will be a never ending competition.  If I had to do it all over again I would bite the bullet and drill to 90 meters and be done with it all.

• Thanks 1