What to do if you have covid sympoms in Chiang Mai?

CrossBones

My health is fine, im just wondering what I should do if i were to get symptoms.

In many countries the advice is to stay at home unless symptoms get really bad.

What is the advice in Thailand?

As a foreigner i would worry about getting forced to go to some hospital and later get given a massive bill.

Thanks

• Like 1

My plan is to head to Chiang Mai RAM hospital, where I am known, along with my medical insurance. Where I might get shipped off to afterwards remains unknown, possibly Maharaj, possibly Nakorn Ping, possibly nowhere.

I've had several scares which turned out to be nothing.  This is mostly due to being around others who "might" have been exposed.  I've been lucky...I've yet to know of anyone (TH and USA) who've gotten COVID.  The Thais I know are super careful and would immediately head to the hospital for a test if they think they might have been exposed. 

But yeah, if your symptoms get worse, you should go get tested pronto.

My gym in Chiang Mai just shut down this morning (Friday, April 16) for at least two weeks because a member recently tested positive; I was there last Sunday, same time as this member. I have no symptoms, but the advice was to self-quarantine for two weeks; if no symptoms crop up during that time, then I’m probably OK.

Testing is possible at Lanna Hospital (and certainly other hospitals), but for foreigners the fee is 3,500 baht, and you need to schedule a time online or by calling. I was told, if I developed symptoms, get tested.

Edited by Cory1848
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you are close to dying you should visit a hospital.

Without serious problems you better just stay in your room and keep quiet, unless you want to risk spending two weeks in such a facility:

172605968_514383619967388_6980503383254083430_n.jpg.97206c565ab371866cddc0bf2cfbbd70.jpg

yes... Duck and Cover... 

90s Kid Unleashed: Millennials share duck-and-cover drills with Baby  Boomers | Daily Trojan 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

I would only go to hospital if my symptoms became life threatening. Hospitals are a prime source of infection. I will rely on Google and my wife. Just went for my 3mth blood test and my blood pressure spiked due to stress!

When I first arrived in Chiang Mai, my blood pressure was checked any time I had a check-yp, teach cleaning, etc. Naturally flirted with the nurses stating that how did they not expect high blood pressure when I was being cared for by a cut Thai nurse! Thais love to play with language ...

11 hours ago, CrossBones said:

As a foreigner i would worry about getting forced to go to some hospital and later get given a massive bill.

I can totally understand that with the current policy of making you stay in hospital even if you have no symptoms.

I seriously doubt that any insurance will pay out for treatment of a policy holder with no symptoms.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, loong said:

I can totally understand that with the current policy of making you stay in hospital even if you have no symptoms.

I seriously doubt that any insurance will pay out for treatment of a policy holder with no symptoms.

Agree.  My insurance company will only pay for overseas claims that they deem "medically necessary." 

12 hours ago, Brierley said:

My plan is to head to Chiang Mai RAM hospital, where I am known, along with my medical insurance. Where I might get shipped off to afterwards remains unknown, possibly Maharaj, possibly Nakorn Ping, possibly nowhere.

Very possibly a field hospital as all the beds in normal hospitals would be taken.

5 hours ago, chilly07 said:

I would only go to hospital if my symptoms became life threatening. Hospitals are a prime source of infection. I will rely on Google and my wife. Just went for my 3mth blood test and my blood pressure spiked due to stress!

Why on earth did  you go?

I have some appointments  booked , follow ups/ blood tests but I am postponing them all till after this wave is over 

I certainly won't be much worse off for not having them now as I feel OK

I certainly  don't wanna go anywhere near  a hospital  right now

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

My gym in Chiang Mai just shut down this morning (Friday, April 16) for at least two weeks because a member recently tested positive; I was there last Sunday, same time as this member. I have no symptoms, but the advice was to self-quarantine for two weeks; if no symptoms crop up during that time, then I’m probably OK.

Testing is possible at Lanna Hospital (and certainly other hospitals), but for foreigners the fee is 3,500 baht, and you need to schedule a time online or by calling. I was told, if I developed symptoms, get tested.

That fee is nothing but a rip off, just another example of greed taking over using the advantage of peoples misfortune in a world wide pandemic.

If I did not have the Chinese virus insurance, I would stay at home and self quarantine if I suspected I had it. Pay these greedy hospitals 3.500 Bt would be the very last resort, not because I can't afford it, just on principle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

When I first arrived in Chiang Mai, my blood pressure was checked any time I had a check-yp, teach cleaning, etc. Naturally flirted with the nurses stating that how did they not expect high blood pressure when I was being cared for by a cut Thai nurse! Thais love to play with language ...

Checking blood pressure monthly, three-monthly etc is no use whatsoever. It will rise due to say the journey to the hospital, the stress/fear of being in a hospital (White coat syndrome), the time of day, oh yes, and cardiac problems.

The only sensible way is to have your own monitor, take BP each morning and evening, log it into an app which can see the trend in your BP, which will more often than not be higher in the morning than in the evening.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

but for foreigners the fee is 3,500 baht,

which would wipe out 99.9999% of all foreigners living in Thailand.

funny how they would find 3500 for 30 bottles of beer...

but 3500 just for a test??? no way!!!  live the life, take the risk!!!

i have 18 kids and I tell them all.....3500 can be a down-payment on a new Apple phone......just don't cough in public!!

a free test for the backpackers and sexpats and 108 year old beer drinkers!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats why I like these smart watches, not medical instruments agreed, but they do give a damn good "indication" . BP, Temp, O2, the lot !

Auto sync to an app on phone and you have a complete record.

I was under the impression that to measure actual blood PRESSURE, an artery must be compressed and then the pressure measured  both beating and resting, systolic & diastolic. These Smart watches can only measure heart RATE. But I am willing to be proved wrong.

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-smartwatches-can-now-measure-blood-pressure-but-theres-a-catch

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Have no idea on technical aspect, but I do know that the BP shown on the watch in direct comparison to a Dr's sleeve type measurement was 1 point different.

His was 104/72 the watch was 103 / 72 so as I said, a good "indication"

What make is it please Charlie? I wish mine was as low as yours!

Edited by KannikaP

On 4/17/2021 at 9:54 AM, KannikaP said:

What make is it please Charlie?

The one I have is made by (Chinese) i also use it as a fitness tracker. If you look on youtube there are videos showing medical equip comparisons to watch reading etc.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:58 AM, Brierley said:

Unless you're really sick you'll end up at the convention center field hospital. 

I think he may be right, certainly for Thai people, but I'm unsure about foreigners who have medical insurance, that seems like an opportunity not to be missed! I had understood that Maharaj was the designated covid hospital but that changed when the numbers increased and Nakorn Ping took over. My current understanding is that The Convention Centre is the overflow from Nakorn Ping. 

On 4/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, CharlieH said:

The one I have is made by "Honor" (Chinese) i also use it as a fitness tracker. If you look on youtube there are videos showing medical equip comparisons to watch reading etc.

According to Google there is no "honor" watch/band which supports blood pressure. Which model do you have exactly? Are you getting this mixed up with SpO2 and pulse?

I too would be hesitant to go if I had no symptoms. Because being locked up in one of those wards if possitve is no fun.

I would worry about infecting people and knowing how long i should stay in isolation. Because you might have the virus for more than 14 days. If you live with someone or need to get out for food you can contaminate people. 

They can even charge you if you know (or should know having heavy symptoms) and your not telling anyone.

But i do understand, if you can self isolate for 2-3 weeks then do that only have food delivery dont go out. If you can do that you will be ok.