Change Rainwater Gutter Downpipes

carlyai

When we get very heavy rain for a while, 2 of our gutters overflow. 

Before I get larger guttering, I would like to increase the downpipe size to see if that is a solution.

To do it myself I would have to use blue water pipe but then I need pipe with a lip to sit in the gutter, not sure how to do this. 

I have 8" drains that the downpipe water feeds into.

There are no gutter fabricating shops around here and the only other way to replace the downpipe is wave down one of these mobile gutter installers and not sure they would be interested in replacing the 2 downpipe.

Any solutions?

20210416_092254.jpg

20210416_092313.jpg

20210416_092242.jpg

20210416_092222.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Have they always leaked from new in heavy rain.? 

Have you had the gutter cleaned out and made sure the down pipes are clear.? 

They were OK until the pool roof was added 4 years ago (been thinking about this a long time :)).

All is OK with normal heavy rain, but sometimes the downpour is very heavy and lasts for 20 mins.

Probably better to have a pipe at each end (we have similar gutters, all have two outlets).

You would really need adjust the gutter slope, but in reality I expect it will be fine just adding a couple of extra pipes.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

They were OK until the pool roof was added 4 years ago (been thinking about this a long time :)).

All is OK with normal heavy rain, but sometimes the downpour is very heavy and lasts for 20 mins.

Well if all is clean in guttering and pipe I took it for granted you had a pipe at each end as I would say as Crossy points out it should have 2 down pipes. 

Opening up the gutter stop ends so you have weir-flow each end is a quick solution, it's whether over flowing excess water pouring from the stop-ends will cause a problem for you but you could put what we do a pretty ceramic pot to catch the rain water.

1618546116795-83793585.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Probably better to have a pipe at each end (we have similar gutters, all have two outlets).

You would really need adjust the gutter slope, but in reality I expect it will be fine just adding a couple of extra pipes.

I have pipes at each end Crossy. 

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well if all is clean in guttering and pipe I took it for granted you had a pipe at each end as I would say as Crossy points out it should have 2 down pipes. 

Opening up the gutter stop ends so you have weir-flow each end is a quick solution, it's whether over flowing excess water pouring from the stop-ends will cause a problem for you but you could put what we do a pretty ceramic pot to catch the rain water.

1618546116795-83793585.jpg

Yes thought of that, but trying to fix everything before I go away for a few months and leave SWMBO with the least amount of headaches.

14 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I have pipes at each end Crossy. 

In that case how about a weir at one or both ends (just cut down the end plate by an inch or so) that would then send the overflow in a known direction. 

Any way to add more pipes?

18 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yes thought of that, but trying to fix everything before I go away for a few months and leave SWMBO with the least amount of headaches.

A quick snips with cutters a couple of pretty pots both ends job done. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In that case how about a weir at one or both ends (just cut down the end plate by an inch or so) that would then send the overflow in a known direction. 

Any way to add more pipes?

We or is a good suggestion but spillway is a problem. Can't add more pipes.

Looks like I'll just have to flag down a mobile plumber.

I'm not sure bigger diameter downpipe will solve the problem, but worth a try before I install deeper guttering.

We added another downspout by simply adding a bracket that attaches over the rainwater gutter in the desired location. Once the bracket is in place it is sealed and riveted in place and a hole cut through the guttering to allow water to escape. Finish the job by fitting a downspout to empty at the desired location.

23 minutes ago, Brierley said:

We added another downspout by simply adding a bracket that attaches over the rainwater gutter in the desired location. Once the bracket is in place it is sealed and riveted in place and a hole cut through the guttering to allow water to escape. Finish the job by fitting a downspout to empty at the desired location.

Hi thanks. Do you have a picture please? 

Where did you buy the bracket?

Is it one of those brown UPVC guttering? 

Just now, carlyai said:

Hi thanks. Do you have a picture please? 

Where did you buy the bracket?

Is it one of those brown UPVC guttering? 

It's not plastic, it's made from alloy or whatever the galvanized steel is they use to make metal gutters.

I had a local guy who specializes in gutters come round and this was his solution, pretty good I reckon.

I just went outside to try and take a picture but because of its height and location it doesn't show much at all. If you imagine a cross section of metal guttering that is about twelve inches long, same shape and size but with a downspout hole in the middle, that's what it looks like. You could probably  even make one yourself which is perhaps what my chap did, it's simple enough.