I still don't think the sky is falling ......but

starky

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

If with the sky falling in we mean the health service getting overloaded to the extent that ambulances are queuing for long periods and the patients dying because of the unavailability of prompt emergency treatment, there were some places in some European countries where this was happening.

Once ICU beds became free again, lockdowns were lifted and other restrictions were eased and I see from news reports that the percentage of free hospital beds for intensive care continues to be an important factor in the decision-making for restrictions in many parts of the world.

They have had the ability to train people to work on the ICU for more then a year and they can have more ICU beds for sure if they free money for this . But what the people in charge of these programs say is that they don't want to do this because when they get a handle of the situation all this extra staff(will be bored after this ) and all the extra beds on ICU will be empty and useless . ???????????? how the ..... couldn't they have started with trainig people already a year ago since it takes a year to train them so could have finished there training already and so now all those (heroes) medical staff that are now over worked could have some relieve . They are all saying that this will not be the last pandemic that is hitting the world all over so why not upscale ?? Maybe the beds will be unused and the staff trained for this will have to be doing other jobs in the medical branche ( but you can never have to many people working in this branche) but then when a new pamdemic hits there will be enough beds and staff to handle it . 

16 minutes ago, PGSan said:

It said “except for the past 100 years”.

Your right it did but why would I be concerned about infant mortality more than 100 years ago when someone is trying to tell me more children die than the elderly? Ace it up its a ridiculous statement and the statistics I gave were for people over 75! Many countries in the world have a life expectancy way lower than that so if die at or past the age of average life expectancy I would say you were elderly when you died. Cheers.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

We still don't know much about this virus.  Especially the long term effects, which seem to impact about 30% of those who get sick.

The exact same thing could be said about the vaccine but I'm being told with virtual 100% certainly by the most official sources that it's safe.

Official sources have been walking back claims since the start and now they want us to panic about some stories coming Brazil? Every month it's some new reason to start the panic again and go off the rails. How much more can people handle of this nonsense at this point?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Who are they?  Anything related to Thailand?  Stay on topic please.

I'm sorry that I didn't explain fully who the CDC are. I thought that it was common knowledge.

CDC stands for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Both the organisation and the topic under discussion are very much related to Thailand.

CDC in Thailand

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) established an office in Thailand in 1980. CDC Thailand works closely with the Royal Thai Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) and other partner organizations to address drug-resistant malaria, HIV, emerging infectious diseases, border health, and noncommunicable diseases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Epidemiologist Dave said:

Maybe the world population will peak in 2040-2050 but will the climate be able to cope?

Much more should be done to try and reduce the rate of population increase today.

How is a difficult question but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

Education and dealing with religion.

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Still stuck with trying to compare the flu with Covid?  Doesn't work.  There are some similarities, but also massive differences.  This type of post doesn't help the situation.

So right this so called flu is a flu plague not seen before therefore the concern if you ask me. 

Just heard India on France 24 news has a type of double mutate type spiking in people in there country. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

I keep hearing these claims about 30-40% of people having long term health issues after contracting covid, but I’m not seeing it in real life. Are we talking 30% of those who were hospitalized with severe symptoms? I might be able to believe that. 
Of the 20 or so people I know who have tested positive for covid, including three in my own household, none have had any symptoms lasting more than a few days, and many of these people aren’t young or in the best of health either. 

Google "Long Covid".  Hundreds of articles about this.  My good friend has brain fog from it.  Lasted about 9 months.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/11/health/coronavirus-long-covid-intl/index.html

For many sufferers of long Covid, proving they are sick is a big part of the battle

A separate study published last month showed that seven in 10 people who had been hospitalized for Covid-19 have not fully recovered five months after being discharged.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So right this so called flu is a flu plague not seen before therefore the concern if you ask me. 

Just heard India on France 24 news has a type of double mutate type spiking in people in there country. 

Yeah.  It's the variants that are scary.  Guaranteed, we'll be needing booster jabs.  Perhaps every year for quite some time.  Pfizer is now recommending a followup jab.  A 3rd one.

24 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

keep hearing these claims about 30-40% of people having long term health issues after contracting covid, but I’m not seeing it in real life

3000 road deaths....how often do you see a dead body on the road?

Heart attacks......how often do you see someone drop down dead?

Cancer.......how many victims do you see day to day?

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah.  It's the variants that are scary.  Guaranteed, we'll be needing booster jabs.  Perhaps every year for quite some time.  Pfizer is now recommending a followup jab.  A 3rd one.

So the latest big "outbreak" in Brisbane was supposed to be the super contagious UK variant 4 of the cases were found to be historical so they were covid free by the time they were discovered so had been running around Brisbane with over 3 weeks with the virus and how many did they infect? Dozens of hotspots all over Queensland and Northern new south Wales. Less than 100 with no hospilastions and zero deaths Sound super contagious to you?

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Inala said:

BritMan Too is right. Peak population will occur around 2040-50. After that, the world population will start a slow decline. It's well documented that as countries industrialize, urbanize and become wealthier, fertility rates drop as women assert more control over their reproductive rights. Fertility rates all around the world (with some exceptions of course in poorer countries) are in rapid decline. Even China's population is in decline. I lived in the Philippines for a long time and my skilled female staff were all choosing to have no more than 1 or 2 babies at the most, and that's the Philippines where families traditionally comprised more than 6 children. Contraception use is on the rise there and in many other developing nations as women enter the skilled workforce and assert their reproductive rights. How many Thai girls who are off the farm do you know are having more than 1 or 2 kids? It's not many....   

Yes but it's not due to contraception or abortion is it? Nor is it because more babies are dying than the elderly. ????

What seems right on Monday can looks ridiculous on Friday.

But I still think in light of the 2 last outbreaks in Bangkok the province should have been shut down to all non essential travel (my previous comments) before the Songkran holiday, which should also have been cancelled again.

Next 2 weeks will answer my question for me.

Hospitals are new stretched to breaking point & those with no way of paying will just be sent to the field hospitals to "sweat it out" The death rate per infected will start to creep up. The other patients in hospital (road carnage over Songkran does not help) & because of overcrowding are at risk of contamination 

The Government shuld now be very concerned at some of their actions but still wishes to protect their "buddies"

IE: No reason for malls not to be closed for 2 weeks

14 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

sure, sure.. and next you will say, you can't take it with you... 

where do you people get this stuff?

What that eventually we all die? And at some point humanity might not exist on this planet? I dont know science. Bwahahaha jog on

Edited by starky

21 minutes ago, natway09 said:

What seems right on Monday can looks ridiculous on Friday.

But I still think in light of the 2 last outbreaks in Bangkok the province should have been shut down to all non essential travel (my previous comments) before the Songkran holiday, which should also have been cancelled again.

Next 2 weeks will answer my question for me.

Hospitals are new stretched to breaking point & those with no way of paying will just be sent to the field hospitals to "sweat it out" The death rate per infected will start to creep up. The other patients in hospital (road carnage over Songkran does not help) & because of overcrowding are at risk of contamination 

The Government shuld now be very concerned at some of their actions but still wishes to protect their "buddies"

IE: No reason for malls not to be closed for 2 weeks

Because of outbreaks Bkk and south I thought that Songkran holiday time,  travel should be on hold.

Many from Bkk areas came to our village so we will have to see is what I thought. 

News reports from Mrs and village drums.  ???? ????

The first day there was 16 in our local hospital now down to 14 no deaths fortunately, no cases in our village so far. 

Just outside our village at Wat Sri chum village areas there's one case who ended up in Phitsanulok hospital. 

Hope it stays at that. 

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

3000 road deaths....how often do you see a dead body on the road?

Heart attacks......how often do you see someone drop down dead?

Cancer.......how many victims do you see day to day?

In my time riding on roads in SEA I have seen six dead bodies laying on the road, and countless others severely injured in accidents.

A few years ago my Dad was driving down the road and saw an old man walking. As he passed him and looked in the rear view mirror, the man flopped on his face. My Dad stopped and went to see if he was okay - he was dead. When the ambulance arrived they told him it was most likely a major heart attack or stroke. 

This is just one second hand story of actually seeing someone drop dead out of nowhere, but I know plenty of people who have died of heart attacks. Same goes for cancer, including my mother and two grandparents. 

Im not saying long covid doesn’t exist, I’m saying that I don’t believe it happens in anywhere near 30% of cases. 

Edited by Ryan754326
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Google "Long Covid".  Hundreds of articles about this.  My good friend has brain fog from it.  Lasted about 9 months.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/11/health/coronavirus-long-covid-intl/index.html

For many sufferers of long Covid, proving they are sick is a big part of the battle

A separate study published last month showed that seven in 10 people who had been hospitalized for Covid-19 have not fully recovered five months after being discharged.

I’ve read all about long covid, including some first hand stories on the forums I read. I never said it’s not a real thing. 

Millions of people have had covid; I’m not seeing thousands of people who have been permanently disabled by it. So far I’ve seen none. 

Edited by Ryan754326

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're quite wrong, it was expected you would need to produce 8-10 children in order for 2 males to survive into adulthood. This was true for the entirety of history except for the past 100 years in the west.

Wrong again, the biggest threat to our species is abortion and contraception. We already have shrinking populations.

We already have far too many people.

The world population was around 2.5 billion in 1950 and now its a staggering 7.8 billion!!

The UK in 1950 had 50 million people, it now has 68 million. 

The US in 1950 had 158 million, now 332 million.

Although I wasn't alive until the late 60's I think that getting back to those sorts of numbers should be everyone's goal.  

Sources: 

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/WLD/world/population

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/population  

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/population

33 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

I’ve read all about long covid, including some first hand stories on the forums I read. I never said it’s not a real thing. 

Millions of people have had covid; I’m not seeing thousands of people who have been permanently disabled by it. So far I’ve seen none. 

I've never seen a one legged midget but I bet there are some out there.   

34 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

I just showed you thousands who were suffering from the effects of long covid. Didn't you see that?  This virus is only been around 18 months or so. Do a Google search. You might be surprised.

• Like 1