Pattaya: Pit Bull tranquilized and heads for retraining after savage attack on owner

webfact

6 hours ago, Excel said:

Perhaps the other answer is that they are just foolish ?

That’s like saying why do people want Lamborghinis and not slower cars! 

Here’s the thing, fighting dog breeds like pitbulls, Staffordshire-Terriers and the rest of them were bred to be friendly with humans because any dog that attacked a referee in the pit was automatically disqualified for life and therefore couldn’t make any more money for the owner who then usually took these dogs in the back and shot them. The Staffordshire-Terrier was for decades the most popular family dog in the UK. Working class people used to keep them because they lived in small apartments and the breed is small, too, plus they kept the rats at bay and wat he’d the kids.

Do some research! 

The owner must have done something bad to the dog otherwise it wouldn’t have attacked him!

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Retraining?.......seriously deluded.

Not at all! 

Fighting dog breeds were bred to be friendly towards humans because in the pit there was at least one referee present during the fight which sometimes had to touch or lift the dog to see which one had the upper hand. Any dog that attacked a referee was immediately disqualified for life. Since the owners couldn’t make any more money with these dogs they usually took them immediately in the back and shot them. If you buy a fighting dog breed from a responsible breeder and you raise them right you will have an amazing, people-friendly dog. The Staffordshire-Terrier for example was the UK’s most popular family dog breed for decades. 

I know it sounds harsh, but I’m pretty sure that it was completely the owner’s fault that the dog attacked him. He must have done something bad and he definitely did not raise the dog right. You can’t ‘molly-cuddle’ any powerful/dominant dog breed, as a matter of fact, you shouldn’t raise any dog breed that way. Dogs are pack animals and they need a leader and if you don’t take up that position yourself then you leave the dog no choice, but to do so itself and the pack leader is the only member of the pack that can do what it wants when it wants, which is most likely what happened here, and when the dog didn’t do as told the owner probably hit him, starved him or punished him some other way until the dog had enough. Obviously in nature if a follower pack member attacks the leader there will be consequences. There is no way the pack leader will let that go! That comes with the position! That’s why it’s so important to understand dog psychology before you even buy one and properly train yourself first, so you can then properly train the dog, especially when it comes to powerful/large dog breeds!

Having said that, this dog in the right hands after having been trained has the potential to be the best dog ever! That’s a fact! As hard as that might be to believe! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That’s like saying why do people want Lamborghinis and not slower cars! 

Here’s the thing, fighting dog breeds like pitbulls, Staffordshire-Terriers and the rest of them were bred to be friendly with humans because any dog that attacked a referee in the pit was automatically disqualified for life and therefore couldn’t make any more money for the owner who then usually took these dogs in the back and shot them. The Staffordshire-Terrier was for decades the most popular family dog in the UK. Working class people used to keep them because they lived in small apartments and the breed is small, too, plus they kept the rats at bay and wat he’d the kids.

Do some research! 

The owner must have done something bad to the dog otherwise it wouldn’t have attacked him!

I had a staffie but he weighed 105 lbs really really smart he loved to catch cats he would hold them down and lick them till they were covered in his saliva then let them go I swear to god that dog had a sense of humor! I do belive the owner probably tryed to treat the dog like a human child big mistake they or any dog for that matter aren’t human different needs and reactions treat them with kindness and respect for what they are they will be just fine!now we have an American bull dog 120 lbs head like a bear gentle loving but quite powerful he is treated with love and respect for what he is he is ALLWAYS kept on a leash when out in public 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Dog should be put down.

These pitbulls are just a dangerous breed.  Usually for people with small egos.

I disagree never met a pittie I dident like but I don’t get in their face eather we live on a large piece of land so a big dog works for us but truth be told my all time favorite doggo was my pug easy to care for made friends everywhere he went and belive me he was a scamp magnet lol much to the wife’s grief lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Would that include the one that bites you on your a**?  

To bad the owner died for his mishandling of his dog obviously the dog must be put down never been bit by a pit or any other working dog had them since childhood you just have to respect what they are and treat them according to their instincts in other words ya gots to be smarter than the dog to bad about the dude though 

8 minutes ago, Tug said:

To bad the owner died for his mishandling of his dog obviously the dog must be put down never been bit by a pit or any other working dog had them since childhood you just have to respect what they are and treat them according to their instincts in other words ya gots to be smarter than the dog to bad about the dude though 

You are speaking only from an owner's perspective.  

What if a careless owner left the gate open, or the dog simply escaped, and now your calf muscle has been torn from the bone and you walk with a limp for the rest of your life?  Would a wai from the owner and a box of fruit make you feel better, despite being out hundreds of thousands of baht?  

Ahhhh, yes, blame the owner, but a dog with the ability to cause such damage, and death, should not be in an urban area, let alone in the hands of a Thai owner.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Excel said:

That's the biggest load of codswallop I have read in ages to justify keeping a dangerous dog that has killed or maimed many children whilst being one of your so called pets.  The dog referred to in this article should be euthanised - period.

Well, it’s official now, you know nothing about dogs nor the history of fighting dog breeds! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Dog should be put down.

These pitbulls are just a dangerous breed.  Usually for people with small egos.

Well, you know nothing about the breed apart from the sensationalist headlines they made due to being in the wrong hands! Do some research before you blame the breed BECAUSE it’s ALWAYS the owners who screw up that leads to incidents! The way you raise them them way you have them. A Labrador or a German Shepherd or any large dog can be just as dangerous as any of the fighting breeds. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, it’s official now, you know nothing about dogs nor the history of fighting dog breeds! 

History has nothing to do with facts. These dogs kill. Perhaps people who continue to desire to have these wild animals in their houses and in the proximity of other people should themselves undergo psychiatric  testing as clearly anyone, anyone,  who intentional owns or looks after something that is a danger to society requires support and help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobbin said:

I spent 15 years of my life as the owner successively of 2 male Rottweilers. Your statements on pack behaviour I agree with, but the above statements not so much..

I had my second Rottie trained in Schutzhund. I was not the trainer but I was always on-site. The "target person" was always wearing a protective suit, looking like he was wearing a Sealy mattress. Unless the referee was wearing similar, I think intervening in an ongoing fight would have been highly dangerous.. The animals you are describing were bred to be fighting dogs and aggression would have been a desirable breeding trait. I have no problem banning ownership of these type of dogs. They are relics of an unenlightened age..

Rottweilers were bred to be working dogs. They were bred for that purpose. Aggression is not a desirable breeding trait. Same for German Shepards. Only their size and bad owners make those breeds dangerous,  They were not  bred for aggression. I'm sure you know this. All those years living with powerful dogs, and still if I'm around one of the "pit" breeds, I never take my eye off them. And exit quickly.

This dog must be euthanized,

There’s a massive difference between a dog being aggressive towards other dogs or humans. My statement on the history of fighting dogs is absolutely correct, all you have to do is a quick google search. There’s more than enough information on it out there. I still stand by my statement that the owner must have mistreated the dog in question and that’s why he got attacked. Dogs don’t just attack their owner for no reason! 

• Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Excel said:

History has nothing to do with facts. These dogs kill. Perhaps people who continue to desire to have these wild animals in their houses and in the proximity of other people should themselves undergo psychiatric  testing as clearly anyone, anyone,  who intentional owns or looks after something that is a danger to society requires support and help.

Again, you know nothing about dogs or these particular breeds. All I hear from you is your opinion, which doesn’t hold any water at all. The only thing I agree with is that people who want to own any dog at all should have to do and pass a mandatory test on how to raise and train a dog and if they pass only then should they get a permit to own any dog. 

History has very much something to do with it because traditionally fighting dogs are friendly towards people! That’s a fact, you can look that up! The fact that the owner got attacked tells me that he did something wrong to cause the dog to act like that and you can twist and turn that for as long as you want, doesn’t change the fact! 

You come across like a prejudiced hater.

Shall we ban mosquitos, too, because they kill 750000 people per year, followed by humans who kill 475000 per year, followed by snakes who kill 100000 people, followed by dogs who kill 35000 on average per year. In 2018 470 million dogs were kept as pets worldwide. 35000 of 470 million are 0.0074%. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Sad 3

Sad news.  Unfortunately, most who own dogs like these have NO idea how to handle them.  A vast majority for sure.  They think having a big dog makes them big. 

I've had dogs my whole life.  Use to rescue Bouvier dogs.  Sucks how some treat them. 

Any big dog has the potential to harm someone.  They should not be let out unless on a lead.  And even then, not unusual for them to attack if the owner doesn't know what to do.

Sadly, there are way too many soi dogs here.  This dog needs to be put down.  RIP to the owner.  RIP to the dog.  In the end, it's the owners fault. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

There’s a massive difference between a dog being aggressive towards other dogs or humans. My statement on the history of fighting dogs is absolutely correct, all you have to do is a quick google search. There’s more than enough information on it out there. I still stand by my statement that the owner must have mistreated the dog in question and that’s why he got attacked. Dogs don’t just attack their owner for no reason! 

As I posted above, I speak from many years experience owning  male Rottweiler dogs, a breed often characterized as dangerous. As I also stated, Rottweilers are working dogs, not bred for aggression. Though  who knows what is currently the breeding philosophy in areas like the American South. Dog fighting is still happening there ( NFL player Vick) and probably places in Russia etc.

Aggression is aggression, and pit breeds were selectively bred for this. There is no diffence between aggression towards humans and aggression toward other animals. In the case of the pit breeds, you start with an aggressive dog and attempt to socialize them to humans. But you are fighting against their nature..

Just a heads-up.. Dog fighting is a blood "sport" managed by humans with literally "no skin in the game". Even among ardent dog lovers, there is little love for people who promote it. As I also stated, these pit breeds are relics of an unenlightened time. and these breeds should not be promoted but rather allowed to die out..

I just read the follow up story.. Even the new owner admits that dogs that bite are likely to repeat the behavior. This was no bite, but a savage mauling resulting in the death of the human who had been with the dog most of it's life. At the current age of the dog, he was ready to challenge for leadership.. It's nature's way. and he was much stronger than his human owner.

Euthanize. By gun if necessary, as Thai vets are reluctant to euthanize even very sick dogs, where death would be a merciful end to their suffering.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Not at all! 

Fighting dog breeds were bred to be friendly towards humans because in the pit there was at least one referee present during the fight which sometimes had to touch or lift the dog to see which one had the upper hand. Any dog that attacked a referee was immediately disqualified for life. Since the owners couldn’t make any more money with these dogs they usually took them immediately in the back and shot them. If you buy a fighting dog breed from a responsible breeder and you raise them right you will have an amazing, people-friendly dog. The Staffordshire-Terrier for example was the UK’s most popular family dog breed for decades. 

I know it sounds harsh, but I’m pretty sure that it was completely the owner’s fault that the dog attacked him. He must have done something bad and he definitely did not raise the dog right. You can’t ‘molly-cuddle’ any powerful/dominant dog breed, as a matter of fact, you shouldn’t raise any dog breed that way. Dogs are pack animals and they need a leader and if you don’t take up that position yourself then you leave the dog no choice, but to do so itself and the pack leader is the only member of the pack that can do what it wants when it wants, which is most likely what happened here, and when the dog didn’t do as told the owner probably hit him, starved him or punished him some other way until the dog had enough. Obviously in nature if a follower pack member attacks the leader there will be consequences. There is no way the pack leader will let that go! That comes with the position! That’s why it’s so important to understand dog psychology before you even buy one and properly train yourself first, so you can then properly train the dog, especially when it comes to powerful/large dog breeds!

Having said that, this dog in the right hands after having been trained has the potential to be the best dog ever! That’s a fact! As hard as that might be to believe! 

As said in an earlier comment....dog owners, generally, have a little bit missing.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, SiamRead said:

You can't be teach Old dogs New tricks...as the saying goes....

I agree and disagree, but this dog was only two years old, plenty of time to re-train for a proper owner.  The re-training won't be pretty, at times violent, but after time the dog will respond to commands and shakes of the leash.  I had a two year old Brindle Boxer that ripped off his owners thumb, after a month with me, he was finally a pet, and natural guard dog -and I have the scars to prove it. -   kept him for seven years.   Good dogs need good owners.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I agree and disagree, but this dog was only two years old, plenty of time to re-train for a proper owner.  The re-training won't be pretty, at times violent, but after time the dog will respond to commands and shakes of the leash.  I had a two year old Brindle Boxer that ripped off his owners thumb, after a month with me, he was finally a pet, and natural guard dog -and I have the scars to prove it. -   kept him for seven years.   Good dogs need good owners.

Update, appears  the owner has died from his wounds............wonder what will happen to Giant now??  In USA it would be put down immediately...............so sad, for both animals.

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

Update, appears  the owner has died from his wounds............wonder what will happen to Giant now??  In USA it would be put down immediately...............so sad, for both animals.

See a woman was killed in the street yesterday, UK,......two dogs ran out of a garden and savaged her.......Well! They've never done that before.........doh!

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

He is a bit miserable but living in Northern Thailand..

Just now, jacko45k said:

He is a bit miserable but living in Northern Thailand..

So many dogs are not suited to the climate in Thailand....they must suffer terribly.......look at soi dogs........light build, smallish, short hair, skinny (maybe not by choice)......they have evolved to cope.......you have to be mental to think a bulldog, husky etc are suitable dogs for Thailand

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

So many dogs are not suited to the climate in Thailand....they must suffer terribly.......look at soi dogs........light build, smallish, short hair, skinny (maybe not by choice)......they have evolved to cope.......you have to be mental to think a bulldog, husky etc are suitable dogs for Thailand

Bulldogs for example.... had one living near me and I made a fuss of it when the owners wife walked by my gate... lovely friendly dog, but beset with  breathing difficulties and died. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Bulldogs for example.... had one living near me and I made a fuss of it when the owners wife walked by my gate... lovely friendly dog, but beset with  breathing, difficulties and died. 

Horrible....must have really suffered.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Bulldogs for example.... had one living near me and I made a fuss of it when the owners wife walked by my gate... lovely friendly dog, but beset with  breathing, difficulties and died. 

You mean the owners wife had breathing difficulties and died whilst passing your gate ? how sad

• Haha 2