Nirun Condo Opinions

DerbyDan

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Elitists....they don't want everyone to know. Best kept secret in Pattaya.

Which is why people are openly talking about it on ThaiVisa?   That makes sense.

Go to just about any website advertising cheap condos in Pattaya and you will find Nirun listings.  But shhhhhh, it's a secret!  ????????

Edited by shdmn

20 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I will have another look next time I can get out there.  That's just a wee bit difficult right now. 

What about the light fixtures?  Many hanging by the cord and half of them weren't even working.

I think it's bare flourescent tube lights in the hallways, industrial style. Something I don't mind personally, but it can be creepy for some people at night.

10 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

I think it's bare flourescent tube lights in the hallways, industrial style. Something I don't mind personally, but it can be creepy for some people at night.

That hasn't changed then.  I remember dark hallways, and this was in the daytime.  The other thing was the smell.  That musty smell you typically get in really old buildings.  Like a combination of 10 year old cigarette butts combined with body odor.  It may vary depending on what block and what side.  I was right in the middle on the far right hand side low rise as you walk in, on the second floor.  I also had a look at a couple places in the high rise but quickly decided that building was not for me.  Felt too claustrophobic.

The other thing that bugged me a little was the lack of privacy coming and going.  Always people sitting around the ground floor shops watching you come and go because of the layout of the place.  I wasn't crazy about that.

Edited by shdmn

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

That hasn't changed then.  I remember dark hallways, and this was in the daytime.  The other thing was the smell.  That musty smell you typically get in really old buildings.  Like a combination of 10 year old cigarette butts combined with body odor.  It may vary depending on what block and what side.  I was right in the middle on the far right hand side low rise as you walk in, on the second floor.  I also had a look at a couple places in the high rise but quickly decided that building was not for me.  Felt too claustrophobic.

The other thing that bugged me a little was the lack of privacy coming and going.  Always people sitting around the ground floor shops watching you come and go because of the layout of the place.  I wasn't crazy about that.

I actually don't mind people being around out front or watching. What bugs me is having to clear in with a specific person each time, or clear in via an intercom each time. It's not so much privacy I'm after, it's just lack of hassle. 

I go in and out all day and night and it becomes a real chore if you do it every time, every time I go for a noodle soup or a coffee.

I lived in Bangkok and had a guard at my place who would greet every time or expect a wave, or I expected I was suppossed to or it looked rude. I think they use them for insurance purposes.

Anyhow, I later sought a place that just had a non manned entry and it was much nicer to not have to worry about it. A side plus was I did not need to come in with a lady and worry about him thinking who it was or why, or him speaking Thai to someone I returned home with for a one night stand.

Some people just don't care, but it bugs me, not sure why.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shdmn said:

I also had a look at a couple places in the high rise but quickly decided that building was not for me.  Felt too claustrophobic.

Something that crossed my mind is fire danger in the Tower Building. That's where I was looking, units have wide open views on Pattaya Beach & City, but they appear to be way high up there.

There appears to be fire stairs on the outside from a photo I saw, but with that many floors and units I wonder how it would fare if everyone was bailing at the same time and the elevators were out?

It being an old outdated building and all I'm not sure if there are sprinklers and such like in a newer complex.

Just had a weird thought somebody mentioned a lot of locked security grills on units and dark hallways, seems like a bad combo for a fire if it's dark, hectic and smokey and emergency personnel can't get into units.

Not something I would usually worry about unless it's a long term rental for a year.

Edited by DerbyDan

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 2:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

More than 10 years ago I went to see a condo there for a friend who was going to do the move to Thailand. I noticed the steel plated/barred doors, heavy multiple locks.

Also this densely packed living, endless halls.

The condo as such had some household trash furniture.

No thanks, I told my friend to find something different.

When I was looking for a place for myself I pulled up outside the security gate, and immediately turned away without going in to look.

Since then I've visited a mate that lives there and don't regret my decision.

Rabbit warren was my immediate thought, and as someone else described, it's like a Thai village.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:58 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

When I was looking for a place for myself I pulled up outside the security gate, and immediately turned away without going in to look.

Since then I've visited a mate that lives there and don't regret my decision.

Rabbit warren was my immediate thought, and as someone else described, it's like a Thai village.

Specifics?

43 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The last line says it all.

Rabbit Warren = A network of interlocking tunnels used for animal husbandry. A network of interlocking tubes and tunnels where one may become lost and and confused.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peeglen said:

I checked it out 2 years ago and it wasn't for me.  I wanted to like it. The concept of a little village with shops and bars outside the front entrance is very appealing. Sadly, what I found was anything but. 

The hallways were dimly lit, caged doors made it feel like a prison (nicer buildings have them too, I know), but the main problem was the filth. I can abide most things, but not that. The common area walls had a patina of grime on them.  The smell of sewage hit me the moment I entered the room I was viewing, and that was about enough of that 555. 

There must be a lot of empty units now because Nirun has lost its only advantage: price.  You can rent a studio in City Center, Novana Residence or Center Condo starting at 4500 baht/month. The first two are newer buildings and Center is old, but location. 

Have a look at Nirun for yourself.  I'm not down on people who live there, it just wasn't right for me. 

sounds similar to the single occupancy hotels i stayed at awhile when i first went to new york city looking for an apartment.

places with a lot of rooms, old people cooking on hot plates in their rooms, a hard to describe smell of giving up.

i would never live in one of these places in my home country (unless i had to), but in thailand it seems like an option for me, not sure why, backpacker mentality i guess.

novana residence looks great, if its really that price, will look into it.

Edited by DerbyDan

3 hours ago, peeglen said:

I checked it out 2 years ago and it wasn't for me.  I wanted to like it. The concept of a little village with shops and bars outside the front entrance is very appealing. Sadly, what I found was anything but. 

The hallways were dimly lit, caged doors made it feel like a prison (nicer buildings have them too, I know), but the main problem was the filth. I can abide most things, but not that. The common area walls had a patina of grime on them.  The smell of sewage hit me the moment I entered the room I was viewing, and that was about enough of that 555. 

There must be a lot of empty units now because Nirun has lost its only advantage: price.  You can rent a studio in City Center, Novana Residence or Center Condo starting at 4500 baht/month. The first two are newer buildings and Center is old, but location. 

Have a look at Nirun for yourself.  I'm not down on people who live there, it just wasn't right for me. 

I think the average room size is really really small in those new ones but at least it's cheaper to use aircon.  You pay a lot more for the bigger ones. 

With regards to Center Condo, I'm not crazy about the idea of living next to a crematorium with the ash flying in my window.  Maybe on one of the other sides if it was a newer renovated place and the price was right.  I think those places are overpriced for that location in an old building like that unless you really want to live that close to walking street.  I don't so I don't want to pay a premium for that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Even with it being clear people responding to this thread, live or have lived in this place, we have people effectively badmouthing them by tarring them all with the same brush.
Let's just go the whole hog and badmouth every foreigner for been a chang drinking lowlife who thrives on bar girls!

I've never been there, but I have a friend who lives there. I'll need to reevaluate our friendship as I always had him pegged as a diamond geezer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimrod said:

Even with it being clear people responding to this thread, live or have lived in this place, we have people effectively badmouthing them by tarring them all with the same brush.
Let's just go the whole hog and badmouth every foreigner for been a chang drinking lowlife who thrives on bar girls!

I've never been there, but I have a friend who lives there. I'll need to reevaluate our friendship as I always had him pegged as a diamond geezer.

hi im paul from the diamond center. i guarantee it!

bg7dqzic0x461.jpg

Edited by DerbyDan