Thailand's sex trade: A million women in it and it's bigger than the drug trade, says Chuwit

webfact

Hope it will pry open the hypocritical pretense on this business. It is a service that is in demand - not just by tourists. So, legalizing it would make it safer, more tax revenue, more relaxed envioronment - even if it meant the police and govt officials would lose their tea money.

• Like 1

1 million keep going  there would be way more then that in ???????? 

It is a part of the tourism industry many people go there for sex as they get a better product and cheaper... Been in ???????? for 10 yrs now 

Why wouldnt you? 

In Australia most people think prostitutes are mainly Thai women  and make it hard for Thais to get into oz becaude of it 

But most hookers here are Chinese, Korean and Pinoy. 

They need to legalise it in ???????? 

Makes it  cleaner and safer for all 

Involved. 

Really there are prostitutes in Thailand, lve never seen any l though they just play pool and get drink for you, lts in disbelief that the corruption and level of incompetence of the Thai government, Thai politicians,  Thai police, Thai tourism idiots still peddle this dribble and expect anyone with a pulse believe it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I live in Huay Kwang Soi Ratchada, a stones throw off one of the most famous pleasure palaces in Bkk,  Poseidon, situated on the street of a thousand brothels, all of them mostly cater for Thais.......   And by the way, none of them sell broth........ 

And you know who owns Poseidon ?

I don't see what he's proposing....

It just seems to be a claim that he is right and others are wrong - he doesn't appear to be asking for any legal recognition, welfare or even closing down...

He seems to understand a lot about the industry but clearly is very archaic in his assessments.

"Chuwit said that there were a million women in the sex trade"I'm sure there are but it is not only women involved in providing sex and there is as he refers to a huge number of people in the industry who may not "do the dirty deed" but undoubtedly earn a living from it, drivers, managers landlords etc etc.

In Thailand it is very common for politicians to speak not the truth but what they FEEL should be the situation...hance ideas about there being no industry or trying to close the industry.

He is unusual in that he speaks close to the truth but vey typical in that he is not proposing and improvements..

PS - It always amused me how the old retiree population of immigrants never seemed to fully understand the sex trade in Thailand thinking that they were the main source of income....how "expat-centric" can you get?

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So all foreigners that use prostitutes are free from blame?

Who is blaming here? Maybe you  have some hang ups  about prostitution? sure  looks  that way. I could not care one bit  about the  morality of Thai prostitution, fact is most are used by THAI men.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

There would be very few reasonably sized towns in Thailand, most never seeing a foreign tourist, who dont have a well known bar or brothel area catering to the local men. 

Well those  "short term"  rooms  are everywhere in Thailand.

8 hours ago, gunderhill said:

BY far the bulk is Thai men.

Indeed. I have seen several situations where a woman with a real job but not high paying and with a kid or two but husband gone went on a "date" and certainly did not say no to the money at the end of the night. In such circumstances, there was no massage parlour, beer bar, website or whatever. In one case, it was the friend ("sister") of the wife of a foreigner who went off with a visiting friend of the foreigner. Money expected, of course. If you include such women, I guess you would be well above the million mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Who is blaming here? Maybe you  have some hang ups  about prostitution? sure  looks  that way. I could not care one bit  about the  morality of Thai prostitution, fact is most are used by THAI men.

Of course most jons are Thai, why is that a surprise? I'm not blaming anyone. I find it a rather pathetic response from sexpats when questioned about the Thai prostitution industry. Somehow saying that there are a lot more Thai men involved makes them feel morally clean, or even superior. It is their only feeble attempt to assimilate into Thai culture ???? 

I have no hang ups at all about prostitution. I have, however, seen more of the consequences of the industry than most(having worked in a drug rehab upcountry for 20 years). As a recovered addict, I know all about denial when it comes to one's addiction. The many sex addicts I know(more foreign than Thai) often refuse to believe that some of the girls they abuse have been forced to Pattaya and other tourist areas. These young girls have told me countless that their families made them go and find a farang, never go and find a Thai. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1