5 Year Driving Licence Renewal with 5 Year Thai Elite PE Visa

The OP may have to check locally or just wait it out. I would recommend the latter.

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced it is suspending driver training and drivers license testing across the country from April 16th onward in an effort to stifle the spread of COVID-19, but will continue extending licenses that don’t require testing and will allow expired licenses to be used until June 30.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210415170214245

YMMV

TiT

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The OP may have to check locally or just wait it out. I would recommend the latter.

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced it is suspending driver training and drivers license testing across the country from April 16th onward in an effort to stifle the spread of COVID-19, but will continue extending licenses that don’t require testing and will allow expired licenses to be used until June 30.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210415170214245

YMMV

TiT

I had a different experience yesterday, April 16th.

I received my resident certificate on April 10th after filing it on March 29th at MTT. I did my medical certificate on April 13th, prepared all of my papers, and was hoping to renew my 5-year license on April 16th, if they were open.

I received and have renewed my license at the DLT headquarters at Chatuchak two times, but was going to try a smaller DLT in the vicinity of where I live, I believe it is DLT #4.

I called to see if they were open yesterday and they said they were open but not accepting driver's license renewals for foreigners and that I could use my license until the end of June and they weren't sure when they would be accepting foreigners again. I explained that I've always watched the training video in Thai language and it seemed like she went to go ask her manager or something, but still got the same response, they're not accepting foreigners now.

I also asked her about my resident certificate and medical certificate, if I would be able to use them in the future, or if they would expire. Of course, she said she didn't know and I would have to wait until the end of June. I plan to call Chatuchak DLT on Monday to see if I get a different answer, which is very possible.

My guess is on July 1st, thousands of people will be going to the DLT, just like that Covid extension at immigration. If anyone has any other information or ideas, please let me know as well.

I hope you are all staying healthy and had a good Songkran break. Take care.

With a PE visa you cannot get a 5 year licence anymore. I know it makes no sense but that’s how it is. I used to have a 5 year license prior to getting my Elite visa and on renewal would only issue a 2 year. I did this again in January and again a 2 year only ???? I tried complaining to Thai Elite Visa but fell on deaf ears ????

12 hours ago, PeteM3 said:

With a PE visa you cannot get a 5 year licence anymore. I know it makes no sense but that’s how it is. I used to have a 5 year license prior to getting my Elite visa and on renewal would only issue a 2 year. I did this again in January and again a 2 year only ???? I tried complaining to Thai Elite Visa but fell on deaf ears ????

quite annoying but Elite Visa is just a tourist visa so you get 2 years

apparently I read on here some other people got different results but it's what we're supposed to be getting (same for me)

Edited by kekalot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 8:28 PM, Lancashirelad said:

Beware if you only have a 2 year licence you can't use it to rent a car abroad as it is not seen as a full licence.

Correct as it is a temporary license as mentioned on the license.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great news for those with Thai Elite Visas; today I went to Nong Han, DLT Office in Udonthani to renew my 5 year car driving licence that expires today and I can honestly say that I was concerned that I would only get a 2 year licence.

I have never visited this Office before.

To my suprise and great joy I was issued with a 5 year driving licence that expires in 2026.

Unsure why maybe the rules have changed however did not dare to ask.

Best wishes to all other Thai Elite Visa holders in getting 5 year driving licences.