Possible snake bite on my 10 week old Labrador puppy

29 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Where'd you learn to do that?

I've only seen it done in Cowboy/Indian movies as a kid.       ????

Big bulge upper hind leg,leg turning black,bulge burst in vets,blood/<deleted> all over     heard dogs screams from opp room,could not see what vet did

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Could be a Malayan pit viper which is of course poisonous. Get the dog to a vet now.

We have had three separate sources confirm that this snake is not a Malayan pit viper. These three sources are saying that this snake is harmless. I have sent photos of the snake to our vet in Loei and he said to wait an hour and if there were problems to bring the dog and the snake to the pet hospital in Loei which is a one hour drive from Chiang Khan. But our puppy is doing perfect and we can't find any mark indicating that she was bitten. She seems to be in perfect health 3 hours after the snake arrived. I will keep the snake in the fridge and see how things are in the morning. I plan to take to her and the snake to the vet in the morning anyway in Loei. 

Not entirely helpful but my dogs have killed similar snakes certainly underside was identical

In that case seems according to locals  this snakes bite but not poisonous plus poisonous snake bite on puppy would show up pretty much immediately (bite mark and bite effect of poison's)

Lastly dogs seem to know the poisonous snakes and stay well away the ones that just bite they kill

My 3 kill about 2 a month here 

A vet check asap will put your mind at rest or failing that take dead snake immediately to local farmer and ask that will be quicker and cheaper

Edited by poohy

33 minutes ago, poohy said:

Not entirely helpful but my dogs have killed similar snakes certainly underside was identical

In that case seems according to locals  this snakes bite but not poisonous plus poisonous snake bite on puppy would show up pretty much immediately (bite mark and bite effect of poison's)

Lastly dogs seem to know the poisonous snakes and stay well away the ones that just bite they kill

My 3 kill about 2 a month here 

A vet check asap will put your mind at rest or failing that take dead snake immediately to local farmer and ask that will be quicker and cheaper

Thanks for your advice. We have sent photos to my brother-in-law who is a farmer in this area and he agrees with you that this snake is not poisonous. I had a dog 40 years ago that took on a rattle snake that was nearly 2 meters long under our house in Florida. There were two other dogs as well trying to corner the snake. My dog got bitten on the nose and eventually her head swelled up to double the normal size. I had no choice but to shoot the snake with a shotgun. The head was vaporized but I kept the rattle on the tail as a souvenir. There were 7 sections on the rattle indicating that this snake was 7 years old. 

14 hours ago, thaisail said:

We have had three separate sources confirm that this snake is not a Malayan pit viper. These three sources are saying that this snake is harmless. I have sent photos of the snake to our vet in Loei and he said to wait an hour and if there were problems to bring the dog and the snake to the pet hospital in Loei which is a one hour drive from Chiang Khan. But our puppy is doing perfect and we can't find any mark indicating that she was bitten. She seems to be in perfect health 3 hours after the snake arrived. I will keep the snake in the fridge and see how things are in the morning. I plan to take to her and the snake to the vet in the morning anyway in Loei. 

Snake identified as a Checkered Keelback or Asian water snake and is non venomous!

https://reptilefacts.tumblr.com/post/123805913582/checkered-keelback-xenochrophis-piscator-the

3 minutes ago, thaisail said:

That is an impressive fighter! Does he have fangs that can puncture deep? I am in Chiang Khan, Loei. Are you near to us?

This is our rice farm in Chiang Khan. We have three ponds full of fish! Perhaps that is why we are able to support these Asian Water snakes!

GE CK land.PNG

drone photo better.png

• Like 1

Location is always important to give when you ask for id of snakes. 2. Thai visa do not have any active snake experts as far as I know. 

If you need a quick id, search for the right group on fb. The mods of these groups will in most cases give you the right id in few minutes, and also give you instructions what to do, where to get antivenom, and also who can relocate the snake if necessery. 

And you will after some few months learn how to reconize different snakes. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076644525809817/?ref=share

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Location is always important to give when you ask for id of snakes. 2. Thai visa do not have any active snake experts as far as I know. 

If you need a quick id, search for the right group on fb. The mods of these groups will in most cases give you the right id in few minutes, and also give you instructions what to do, where to get antivenom, and also who can relocate the snake if necessery. 

And you will after some few months learn how to reconize different snakes. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076644525809817/?ref=share

Thank you for this very valuable link. I have asked to join this group and I am waiting for a reply so that I can post my photos on that group.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, thaisail said:

That is an impressive fighter! Does he have fangs that can puncture deep? I am in Chiang Khan, Loei. Are you near to us?

Near Chumphae so 120 km's away.

Didn't get close enough to see inside its mouth but i had it's tail pinned so that's why it was angry.

Normal range of snakes here are-

Golden tree snake

Rat snake

Copper head racer

Checkered keelback

Pythons and Cobra,less of the last two and more of the above.

You will recognise a Cobra with distinct hood on the head and stand up straight.

The 1st four will move their heads back to the side.

The mrs works on the theory that slow moving snake dangerous,fast moving not.

9 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Near Chumphae so 120 km's away.

Didn't get close enough to see inside its mouth but i had it's tail pinned so that's why it was angry.

Normal range of snakes here are-

Golden tree snake

Rat snake

Copper head racer

Checkered keelback

Pythons and Cobra,less of the last two and more of the above.

You will recognise a Cobra with distinct hood on the head and stand up straight.

The 1st four will move their heads back to the side.

The mrs works on the theory that slow moving snake dangerous,fast moving not.

I have joined the Facebook Group called "Snakes of Isaan" and they positively identified the snake the puppy brought home as a Yellow Spotted Keelback. The other snake that we saw a week earlier was Mekong Mud Snake. Both were said to be non venomous. The people in that FB group were very friendly and helpful. They are really snake lovers!

• Like 1

And you will find groups for snakes in Hua Hin, Bangkok, Phuket etc and any of this groups you can ask for id no matter where you live, but important is to mention your location for quicker id and less time wasted for them to give you excact specie, since the variations of snakes in colours and location can seperate a lethal one from a harmless one. 

Hua Hin 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1749132628662306/?ref=share

Bangkok

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2004459626509147/?ref=share

Phuket

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124703794775304/?ref=share

Koh Tao - Koh Phangan - Koh Samui

https://www.facebook.com/groups/233353250751348/?ref=share

Snakes of Chiang Mai 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121136308469728/?ref=share

On 4/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, farmerjo said:

Looks like a checkered keelback.

Not poisonous but will hiss and strike if cornered.

That is exactly what the PM does to, perhaps he was a snake in a former life ? ????