Six million Thais rendered jobless by COVID-19 pandemic – ThaiHealth

webfact

000_1WM6P7.jpg

Commuters with facemasks to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus walk to a train station at rush hour in Bangkok a few months ago.

About six million Thais have been rendered jobless, since the COVID-19 pandemic struck Thailand early last year, and 1.3 million university and college graduates are unlikely to find jobs or have opportunities to develop their capabilities, according to Khempetch Lenaphan of Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) on Friday.

Citing a survey of people affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, conducted by the National Statistical Office in cooperation with Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) and the UN Children’s Fund, she said that Thai people aged 15 to 24, especially those in their last year at university, are likely to be unemployed after graduation, because most private companies have halted or slowed recruitment.

Moreover, Khempetch noted that most Thai workers do not have savings plans and, hence, do not have a nest-egg to rely upon if they are laid off.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/six-million-thais-rendered-jobless-by-covid-19-pandemic-thaihealth/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-04-17
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Add the GDP I believe they said is down 6%?

Got to be more like 25% plus with 40 million tourists lost. 

Seems like a depression rather then a recession.

But spun into a "blip"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grizzlybear said:

Unemployment in Thailand is no joke - you starve

I must say, one of my favourite phrases praising Thailand was no-one starves, not even the soi dogs; guess I'm gonna have to change my mind on that one, given the stories regarding starving soi dogs; what's that saying:

"A dog starved at his master’s gate;

Predicts the ruin of the State."

I guess an impression gained during the "fat" years can be misleading. People talk about a quick rebound, lets just hope we're not going biblical - 7 "lean" years might be a bit much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grizzlybear said:

I feel sorry for all these unemployed folks - people who can't work from home like so many lucky people who post here may be able to do. Unemployment in Thailand is no joke - you starve.

That's why families are so close. The Thai's take their hardship without all the resentment. 

• Sad 1

Six million Thais rendered jobless by COVID-19 pandemic

Six million and counting.  I'd say that number will double or triple before this is "over", but "experts" have pretty much promised this will never be over.  So the unemployed figures will rise though the year.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Moreover, Khempetch noted that most Thai workers do not have savings plans and, hence, do not have a nest-egg to rely upon if they are laid off.

I wouldn't say most Thai workers, it would be better to say the majority of Thai people don't have a clue about saving for any potential draw back

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Evans said:

Most western countries, except southern Europe, have managed to maintain an average unemployment rate of 5%

Based on what?  Manipulated government statistics.  When the US government want's to keep numbers low, they change the reporting model.  Here - try this.  Note the difference between how the numbers were counted in 1992 (U6) and now.  When you have close to 100 million citizens not working (look at the homelessness in the US) and then say with a straight face, "Those people don't want to work", whose the government kidding.  Shadowstats estimate takes in account the unemployed who can no longer find work. You can find this number by extrapolating it from the BLS's Labor Participation Rate.

Source: http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

Untitled.png.fa5ff4dd81e313c0db8c840de34f09a9.png

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Based on what?  Manipulated government statistics.  When the US government want's to keep numbers low.

Of course all governments lie or cover up. They've turned fudging the numbers into an art form. Usually the under employed or casual workers with one hour per week are counted as "employed"  I used stats found online. So what's your point? 

6 hours ago, Excel said:

With a working age population currently of around 35,500,000 that represents a figure of  almost 17% unemployment, a staggering figure indeed from what once was called the Tiger economy of the 80s.  With no further government support for most of these people the  future is bleak indeed, and for their children.

And the dangers posed to the remaining Populace including ourselves is immense, as crime rates will innevitably rise and we will all become targets for those who have nothing !

33 minutes ago, connda said:

Based on what?  Manipulated government statistics.  When the US government want's to keep numbers low, they change the reporting model.  Here - try this.  Note the difference between how the numbers were counted in 1992 (U6) and now.  When you have close to 100 million citizens not working (look at the homelessness in the US) and then say with a straight face, "Those people don't want to work", whose the government kidding.  Shadowstats estimate takes in account the unemployed who can no longer find work. You can find this number by extrapolating it from the BLS's Labor Participation Rate.

Source: http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

Untitled.png.fa5ff4dd81e313c0db8c840de34f09a9.png

To answer this section of your post: "When you have close to 100 million citizens not working (look at the homelessness in the US) and then say with a straight face, "Those people don't want to work", whose the government kidding".  Here is the answer to that. 

With all of the free handouts given by the US Government, where you make more from those freebies, such as free food, free medical, unemployment, and food stamps, instead of working, why would you really want to go back to work in the US.  A real estate person I know was bringing in over 5k a month with all of the free handouts before actually starting to sell houses again in a very hot market now, and her husband was bringing in the same amount.  Prior to that they were maybe bringing in 6 to 7 K a months between them.  However, when your making more from the handouts that's why people will not work.  Are they counted in the unemployed numbers I would hope so but then as you indicated they may not be.

• Like 1

Six million is a big problem, the traditional solution would be to start a war. Solves all your problems in one stroke. The economy is revitalised, birth rates go through the roof, and all those problematic young men get sent to the slaughterhouse. 

• Sad 1

Ridiculous inequality. Yet there's something to be learned from it.

The majority poor continue scraping while the hi-sos couldn't be better. At a certain big mall on the BKK outskirts, where I was not too long ago, I witnessed shopping carts loaded with bags of designer clothing, IKEA furniture and accessories, and 50" TVs wheeled out to brand new, red plated cars. But are they really any happier?

I couldn't be happier to be back out here in the Issan farmland, far, far away from such stress, attitudes, and needless consumerism. There's smiles abound from the fam here whenever we show up back from town, with a few kilos of pork, and several bottles of shampoo. ????‍♀️????

IMG_20210420_131149.jpg

• Like 1