4th teaching waiver

I’ve tried searching this and have had mixed results..

I've used 3 waivers in the space of 4 years.

What are the chances of getting a 4th waiver? I’ve heard it can be done if there’s 2 years remaining of the 6.

If the application is rejected, I’m prepared to enrol on the Filipino course, but not sure how long this delays the procedure..

I would chance you at 'just dumb luck' (next to nill) without enrollment in a post graduate program. If you'd been at one school for at least four years perhaps 10%. One school six years 15%.

As an aside, getting a fourth waiver I think very possible for you but not at all assured.

Common wisdom dictates that 'job jumpers' aren't given 3-4 waivers. This simply isn't true. What khrusapa is looking at is erratic behavior such as leaving mid-term and having burned thru say three waivers in two years. Essentially unstable behavior. Consistently working at nationally or at least regionally recognized schools is imo a big plus.

From my personal experience if you have a nice package, proper photos and especially a good school backing you it is not a problem to jump jobs annually.

Just be aware as the OP of the fact you will need to do a post graduate course sooner than later.

Get the paperwork from That Filipino School ©®, give the letter to your employer and you should be fine.

It takes 18 to as much as 24+ months to get your official documents from that amazing institution of 'higher learning' although they can provide a certificate of completion which will allow you to apply for your license.

Hope that helps

2 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I would chance you at 'just dumb luck' (next to nill) without enrollment in a post graduate program. If you'd been at one school for at least four years perhaps 10%. One school six years 15%.

As an aside, getting a fourth waiver I think very possible for you but not at all assured.

Common wisdom dictates that 'job jumpers' aren't given 3-4 waivers. This simply isn't true. What khrusapa is looking at is erratic behavior such as leaving mid-term and having burned thru say three waivers in two years. Essentially unstable behavior. Consistently working at nationally or at least regionally recognized schools is imo a big plus.

From my personal experience if you have a nice package, proper photos and especially a good school backing you it is not a problem to jump jobs annually.

Just be aware as the OP of the fact you will need to do a post graduate course sooner than later.

Get the paperwork from That Filipino School ©®, give the letter to your employer and you should be fine.

It takes 18 to as much as 24+ months to get your official documents from that amazing institution of 'higher learning' although they can provide a certificate of completion which will allow you to apply for your license.

Hope that helps

I’m trying to delay the course as much as possible to see whether requirements and accepted courses change. Also in 2 years I’ll probably be able to afford a PGCEi instead.

Would it not be better to see if the application is rejected first, then apply for the course?

I’m not sure how long the process takes, or whether I’d have to take a year off teaching if rejected..

11 hours ago, Lake Palmer said:

Would it not be better to see if the application is rejected first, then apply for the course?

From my perspective it should and will be rejected. If I were your school I wouldn't even process you. I'd ask for your enrollment verification letter for a post graduate program or I wouldn't even bother with your renewal especially if you are an average teacher at an average school making average wages teaching something average like 'listening and speaking'. These teaching positions can even be filled by Scandinavians and the odd European.

Think of it not as an education but as the cost to continue teaching by doing a course for license.

It's great you're interested in a higher quality degree. Perhaps borrow the money from a relative?Yet, if you lack home country teaching experience and credentialing, especially if not throughly familiar with British system (80% of mid-upper Intl schools) your odds of making it into the top international schools are scant. ISB maybe in a dream, NIST forget it (maybe as a TA).

Therefore, I don't think the pgcei or whatever is worth the money if your wages stagnate at say 60k.

160,000/8yrs is well over 1500b per month amortized. Over 4 years (which is still a long time to pay down this sort of debt from this type of job imo) is over 3000b per month and about 5% of your net wages @60k per mo. So, 60k becomes 52.5k after deductions and taxes.

It will also be a solid two years plus before you have your license and you most likely will have to squeeze it in between any and every holiday your school gives you and then perhaps summer school.

Then there is your age. If you have a great resume, present well, smell great, exude confidence and competence you can trade up schools until you literally hit 60. That means good schools are interested in good, high energy teachers until 59. But, if you are doing this pgcei thing late 40s or early 50s you may find issues in employment which will curtail wages. This increases the percentage of debt burden based on your income.

There is an insane amount of free educational resources on the internet. You don't need some online course to make you a better teacher. You can start today.

If you truly believe you have a shot at the big time. I applaud you, stand beside you in your efforts. There is a bifurcation going on in BKK schools. The best schools are paying more and the others are left with the flotsam and jetsam.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 4:55 PM, kynikoi said:

Common wisdom dictates that 'job jumpers' aren't given 3-4 waivers.

I really detest this sort of 'combing' of foreign teachers. Especially in regards to earning. Totally disregarding any circumstances one may encounter.

I suppose I am a job jumper. Why would one want to stay at a place that is uncomfortable or demanding too much? TIT, I know. But that doesn't mean you have to 'praise' how it works here.

The OP should do well to know that some schools will still let you stay without a work permit. No one should be forced to put up with the antics and demands that are some of these schools.

You can try part-time also if you have a visa sorted out.

The mentality in these schools and bureaucratic loop holes seem to be very eager to know the history or amount of prior work permits one has. It can be quite the burden. Who would have thought given how big BKK is. But then again, TIT. Whispers is the name of the game half of the time.

@Lake PalmerI hope you can find a comfortable and decent place to earn at.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:10 AM, kynikoi said:

If you truly believe you have a shot at the big time.

I guess this poster left his home-country to feel better about him self given his posts..which are at times patronizing while providing decent info. Making up for anything or just being the good pet. Tata, puppet.

For those of you are real teachers or not, stay awesome!

On 4/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, Lake Palmer said:

That's what I did. It got accepted after I enrolled.

I thought the PGCEi wasn't accepted by Krusapa for full license?

• 1 month later...

I know a bloke who just got his 4th. He even got it in record time, ONE DAY! Woohoo! His school sent all the docs to them online as PDFs. Then the next day, back came the PDF temp license.

Who knows what's going on. It used to be a real struggle. Is khurusapha finally getting their act together? Being more lenient given the lack of incoming farangs? Or maybe his school has pull? I don't think so, it's out in the sticks.

Regarding what to do after too many waivers, when khurusapha wants that graduate cert in edu, people often bring up online PGCEs, or that "Mickey Mouse" Filipino degree you pay for with no coursework. Well I'll do you one better. There's a certain online European uni offering FREE certificates. They do, however, want you to study and show something reflecting this. A former coworker of mine got some "diploma in (something) education" from them. This was accepted by khurusapha for his full license. The argument against this, however, is that you might prefer some real professional development to further your career elsewhere.

In regards to "job jumpers", certainly, don't quit too soon and try to stick it out as much as you can. But know how much is enough, then voice your opinion of them loud and clear with your feet. After leaving one of my first schools, the next was so much better, I would've been crazy to have stayed any longer. At others I've had supervisors, both Thai and farang, give me ridiculous nonsense serving no purpose whatsoever, than to feed their fragile, troubled egos. Absolutely no reason to subject yourself to that abuse any more than you have to.

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

There's a certain online European uni offering FREE certificates. They do, however, want you to study and show something reflecting this. A former coworker of mine got some "diploma in (something) education" from them. This was accepted by khurusapha for his full license.

any more details?

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 11:08 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I know a bloke who just got his 4th. He even got it in record time, ONE DAY! Woohoo! His school sent all the docs to them online as PDFs. Then the next day, back came the PDF temp license.

Who knows what's going on. It used to be a real struggle. Is khurusapha finally getting their act together? Being more lenient given the lack of incoming farangs? Or maybe his school has pull? I don't think so, it's out in the sticks.

Regarding what to do after too many waivers, when khurusapha wants that graduate cert in edu, people often bring up online PGCEs, or that "Mickey Mouse" Filipino degree you pay for with no coursework. Well I'll do you one better. There's a certain online European uni offering FREE certificates. They do, however, want you to study and show something reflecting this. A former coworker of mine got some "diploma in (something) education" from them. This was accepted by khurusapha for his full license. The argument against this, however, is that you might prefer some real professional development to further your career elsewhere.

In regards to "job jumpers", certainly, don't quit too soon and try to stick it out as much as you can. But know how much is enough, then voice your opinion of them loud and clear with your feet. After leaving one of my first schools, the next was so much better, I would've been crazy to have stayed any longer. At others I've had supervisors, both Thai and farang, give me ridiculous nonsense serving no purpose whatsoever, than to feed their fragile, troubled egos. Absolutely no reason to subject yourself to that abuse any more than you have to.

If I've had 3 schools over 6 years then return home and come back with grad cert in teaching (6 month course from home (oz) university, can I return and teach??