The BEST Songkran.......EVER!!!! ????????????

chicowoodduck

I normally leave Thailand and go on a short break to Vietnam to avoid Songkran which I haven't had to do last year or this year.

We are the largest district of Kalasin but I have found Songkran to be very subdued in 2021 to the point of non existence this year, up this way at least.

In my business days in Pattaya, there were idiots from the West with ridiculously supercharged, water guns, designed to shock or unseat motorcyclists,and large disposal bins of iced water throwing it at everybody indiscriminately.

However, idiots were not exclusively Western,  there were plenty of Thais drunk and completely out of control as well as Arabs playing the clown in Pattaya.

I give Songkran a " big swerve " and I am still in my fifties, but I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for others for the sake of a few days.

I just move to a quieter place....like Hanoi...????????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not the festivities we dont approve of, its a great time and most of us do it every year and have a great time.

Its the drunken farang idiots we have issue with, throwing water at people on motor bikes, little old lady pushing a noodle cart, spaying eyes and ears etc, There is a huge difference between spaying water on other people taking part, and bringing down a 20 year old nurse going to work on a motorbike. I had to go to hospital one year because a farang hit my eye from 6 inches away, with a high powered PVC pipe gun.

I have to agree with you on all points Pattaya is the worst place of all for Songkran and the drunk Farangs are the worst I have lived in Pattaya and can vouch for what you say

This year has been the best  back to the old family values 

Of celebrating Songkran and hope it continues in the future ???? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

He explained it very well in the OP and in a couple of follow-up comments in which he gave more examples. Read again. The recklessness of some can ruin it for others, and cause injuries. Did you find enjoyment in the incident of the young nurse crashing on her way to work? 

No he didn't he is in Pattaya and you are taking out of context what I say where I live, I do live in a what I regard as one of the cesspits of Thailand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

All the usual suspects, Bad Farangs, Dirty Water, Ice, Dangerous, Can't dress well when I go out at night ... and on and on it goes.

See there is an advantage living in a village.... most festivities finish before it gets dark ..

As much as I enjoyed these last 2 Songkrans, I'm hoping it returns next year as we knew it.  Why?  Because if that happens, it means the world can travel again,

including yours truly, who will most definitely be out of the country when it goes down.

12 hours ago, meechai said:

They have a name for falangs like you & it is not complimentary ????

One has to wonder why you ever moved to a country with festivities you do not approve of?

You do realize that the version we have been living with for many years is the highly adulterated version, don't you?

Nobody would complain about the original version..

I don't believe they have a "name" for farang (maybe you spend too much time assimilating with the Issan girls) like you say.. I do believe you have a name for them but who cares?

I' d like to know your position on the Indian festival of Holi.. 

Fancy looking like a Tele-Tubbie? all green and purple..

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Why can't people Enjoy songkran without having to intentionally hurt people or violate their wishes...Is it that hard when someone says don't throw water at them to not do it...is it that hard to sprinkle water on people passing instead of throwing ice water as hard as you can and try and knock them off their motorbike. The answer is of course YES it is too hard...It's like people here think that Songkran gives them the right to hurt people and abuse people....it doesn't!

The water is not meant to be thrown or splashed. I had beautiful young Thai lady do it to me correctly once.

She scuttled out of the shophouse with a small bucket and poured room temperature water down my back by carefully lifting my shirt by the neck as I was walking by, not on my head or the front.

It was cooling and very erotic. She had traditional clothing and not showing off her junk.

I understand but you must be the most unluckiest Falang. So every year you have been hospitalised twice because of a drunk farang. Every year you have haf to buy a new mobile phone because of a drunk farang. Every year you have had to go home and change your clothes because of a drunk farang.

Sorry you are lying. It was a Thai

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, meechai said:

One has to wonder why you ever moved to a country with festivities you do not approve of?

I did not know about the songcran nonsense until after I arrived in Thailand to stay, just like I did not know about the UK government stealing state pension increases, or Thailand having a history of coups.

I suppose I did not carry out my due diligence well enough before I came here to stay.

Edited by possum1931

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What a fat, ugly, excuse of a human being.

And you are basing that on what? How much he gives to charity? How kind he is to strangers in need... ?

You know this guy or just assume that he is horrible because he is obese?

Edited by 1FinickyOne

On 4/16/2021 at 4:18 PM, Peterw42 said:

Its not the festivities we dont approve of, its a great time and most of us do it every year and have a great time.

Its the drunken farang idiots we have issue with,

Yes & having lived 10 years in Thailand we know not to even be in the drunken falang areas during songkran

Other than that it is songkran...it is Thailand & it just seemed odd for the OP to base it all on a leg humping drunken falang area ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And you are basing that on what? How much he gives to charity? How kind he is to strangers in need... ?

You know this guy or just assume that he is horrible because he is obese?

Did I mention the word horrible? I don't know if he gives to charity or not, but think of that young girl having his hands all over her like that. unless that girl is known to him, that was disgusting.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, rott said:

There is a name for farangs like you as well. 

The objections to Songkran in Pattaya are that it lasts too long and is impossible to avoid. 

In Bangkok it lasts 3 days and the worst of it is not too difficult to ignore. Many places are the same, in some it only lasts a day. 

Hey you live in hell & are surprised to see devils? ????

Edited by meechai

13 hours ago, bobbin said:

You do realize that the version we have been living with for many years is the highly adulterated version, don't you?

Nobody would complain about the original version..

Well easy then to achieve isn't ? All Falangs get the ^%#$ out ????

But truth is it is not just falangs is it? There are plenty of terrible young locals throwing ice, powder,<deleted>  etc etc

Adulterated....555 yes sang to the tune of "the Way We Were" Guess we are old eh?

Edited by meechai

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Did I mention the word horrible? I don't know if he gives to charity or not, but think of that young girl having his hands all over her like that. unless that girl is known to him, that was disgusting.

That's 3 things you didn't know before coming to Thailand it seems!

• Confused 1

On 4/17/2021 at 9:02 AM, meechai said:

You missed his point. He wasn't railing against Songkran, just the bonehead farang who see it as hilarious to chuck buckets full of filthy water with blunt instruments (ice blocks) into the face of others.

• Like 1