SS & Medicare Benefits For Wife (Repatriate to US)

Due primarily to lack of insurance, dicey medical care and ridiculous property prices, inability to own land. Im thinking again about returning to US with my Thai wife in 2025-6.

The US property market is once again in a bubble but I can still get a waterfront condo in FL for the price of a  shoebox 20min drive from a crowded, polluted Phuket beach.

What long term pension and medical benefits would she be entitled to after five years and without working?

I'm not interested in any Medicaid or welfare programs and doubt she/we could qualify especially first five years.

It appears she could use my meager SS credits for some pay out. Uncertain, but it appears she might be able collect this at 62+ WITH me collecting benefits concurrently as well as after my death.

After five years and 65+ she'd be entitled to full Medicare benefits I believe.

Thank you

2 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I can still get a waterfront condo in FL for the price of a  shoebox 20min drive from a crowded, polluted Phuket beach.

Be sure to add on tax and association fees - had a house in Homestead and found the monthly costs did not justify keeping (that was in 1992) - and from eating out prices mentioned by truckers would be doing my best to avoid return.

Your wife as Thai needs no insurance here so can only guess it is for your health?  You do have the government hospital system available as quite reasonable prices here (even when higher priced for foreigners).  As for dicey there is quite good medical care available in most places (Phuket is not the country of Thailand).  

Sorry can not be of help but do not receive SS and have medical insurance.  But from years here find most Thai prefer to remain in Thailand for family reasons so a late life change might not be good if it can be avoided.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Be sure to add on tax and association fees - had a house in Homestead and found the monthly costs did not justify keeping (that was in 1992) - and from eating out prices mentioned by truckers would be doing my best to avoid return.

Your wife as Thai needs no insurance here so can only guess it is for your health?  You do have the government hospital system available as quite reasonable prices here (even when higher priced for foreigners).  As for dicey there is quite good medical care available in most places (Phuket is not the country of Thailand).  

Sorry can not be of help but do not receive SS and have medical insurance.  But from years here find most Thai prefer to remain in Thailand for family reasons so a late life change might not be good if it can be avoided.  

Pretty much agree with everything you've stated. That's why we're still here and I'm only contemplating. I do have SSO Thai government insurance I've been told I can keep from one school. Currently have big brand insurance but that will only last as long as I remain at my job.

I don't think whatever the Thai government gives my wife will be worth much. Perhaps it's simply what I need to accept having decided to live here over the decades, get married, etc

Yes, the HOA and taxes an issue. Added to a Thai rental and it favors Thailand.

Just a thought, perhaps a bad one at that.

Totally agree about going back at our ages. Her parents are aging. She need not be here but most likely will feel out of sorts as they become infirm. I'll probably be gone in 30 years myself.

Phuket is not a preferred location. I know the south well and never step foot in the province. Nevertheless, just gotta get out of the BKK pollution and grind. It's just too far away from the sea.

Krabi and Sattahip were first and second choices. Phuket just because my wife has a Dr friend there and has some amenities. West side away from the nonsense. Beaches we can swim off season.

Ok thanks

Edited by kynikoi
18 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Pretty much agree with everything you've stated. That's why we're still here and I'm only contemplating. I do have SSO Thai government insurance I've been told I can keep from one school. Currently have big brand insurance but that will only last as long as I remain at my job.

I don't think whatever the Thai government gives my wife will be worth much. Perhaps it's simply what I need to accept having decided to live here over the decades, get married, etc

Yes, the HOA and taxes an issue. Added to a Thai rental and it favors Thailand.

Just a thought, perhaps a bad one at that.

Totally agree about going back at our ages. Her parents are aging. She need not be here but most likely will feel out of sorts as they become infirm. I'll probably be gone in 30 years myself.

Phuket is not a preferred location. I know the south well and never step foot in the province. Nevertheless, just gotta get out of the BKK pollution and grind. It's just too far away from the sea.

Krabi and Sattahip were first and second choices. Phuket just because my wife has a Dr friend there and has some amenities. West side away from the nonsense. Beaches we can swim off season.

Ok thanks

OK seems the concern may be old age financials so that may change my post a bit as if she is working age might well be advantage to make move sooner rather than later unless she is very well employed here or family well off and you are able to put away money - so yes do the math and discuss options.

• Thanks 1

We just spent 13 months marooned in San Antonio, Tx due to Covid.  We expected to be there for 6 weeks.  We stayed with our daughter, so no housing/vehicle expenses.

Food for thought:  Even if you're on medicare, your medical/prescription costs are covered 100%.  If your wife is getting older and isn't covered at least by medicare, you'd be taking chances with some hefty medical bills.

My wife goes to the local market here a few times a week and rarely spends more than a few hundred baht for veggies/fruit.  A trip to the Asian Market in Texas, once a week, generally cost us $40-60, just for Asian fruits/veggies.  We spent an equal amount in the standard grocery store for non-Asian fruits/veggies.

Vehicle insurance, electricity, water, internet/mobile, auto repair/service and virtually any sort of manual maintenance/repair is substantially more expensive in the US.  

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

OK seems the concern may be old age financials so that may change my post a bit as if she is working age might well be advantage to make move sooner rather than later unless she is very well employed here or family well off and you are able to put away money - so yes do the math and discuss options.

She has a good job here. Money is average for Thai office workers. Benefits good. It's fun.

I'm doing well here, making good money but I want to re-retire in 2-5 years.

My finances are fine. Not epic but fine.

*Want to get back to coastal life

* Can't own a home. All decent property very overvalued.

* Medical system is a scam. No insurance. My plan is to use government SSO and self insure.

I don't want her working for a variety of reasons. Better to just stay here if I can't afford the return.

While I've been thru more or less four coups this time it's different.

I go through these phases. This is third time in ten years.

3 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

We just spent 13 months marooned in San Antonio, Tx due to Covid.  We expected to be there for 6 weeks.  We stayed with our daughter, so no housing/vehicle expenses.

Food for thought:  Even if you're on medicare, your medical/prescription costs are covered 100%.  If your wife is getting older and isn't covered at least by medicare, you'd be taking chances with some hefty medical bills.

My wife goes to the local market here a few times a week and rarely spends more than a few hundred baht for veggies/fruit.  A trip to the Asian Market in Texas, once a week, generally cost us $40-60, just for Asian fruits/veggies.  We spent an equal amount in the standard grocery store for non-Asian fruits/veggies.

Vehicle insurance, electricity, water, internet/mobile, auto repair/service and virtually any sort of manual maintenance/repair is substantially more expensive in the US.  

Yeah, you and Lopburi...

I need to be reminded of this occasionally.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

*Want to get back to coastal life

* Can't own a home. All decent property very overvalued.

* Medical system is a scam. No insurance. My plan is to use government SSO and self insure.

I know it has a bad vibe for many but Pattaya/Jomtien has good beach on military land just South of it and very good value for rentals and food options - close enough to Bangkok if needed.   It may actually become family destination by the time covid issues are resolved but it is always easy to avoid the bar areas.  Local temp flooding still an issue but does not last and air is normally better than Bangkok.   Worth a look.  Costs are likely much less than Phuket (but have never been to Phuket myself).  Songkhla as you know is not bad and Hat Yai has everything.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

has good beach on military land

I know it well. Used to go there back around 2005. Next to Ban Sare. It's ok beach nothing like where we go in PhangNha. Honestly, I don't want my wife anywhere around Pattaya. I left it in 2009 and never looked back.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

.  Songkhla as you know is not bad and Hat Yai has everything.  

Wife's best friend lives in Songkla. Would be easy to build a home there also bc she's a developer. Hat Yai has it's issues. It's hot. Lots of cheap booze floating across the border. Koh Lipe is a few hours away. It's expensive and too junked up for us.

Wish they'd close Koh Samet. That might take care of a lot of trash problems on eastern seaboard.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, kynikoi said:

Im thinking again about returning to US with my Thai wife in 2025-6......................

What long term pension and medical benefits would she be entitled to after five years and without working?

First off would have to say any crystal ball looking waaay ahead into 2025-2026 would likely be wrong ???? Because well the world as you noticed is in a weird place

As for long term benefits  really the best bet for your wife is 2 year green card...Then of course she will go 10 year perm green card

One year into that she is fully eligible for US Citizenship...she should just do that....it is easy & she will be dual citizen

Then she will qualify even without working for the min SS &  the other long term medical benefits you ask about

Edited by meechai