Phuket’s plan to re-open to foreign tourists on 1 July could be delayed

webfact

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"The latest wave of infections has resulted in the distribution of vaccines being delayed to people on the island. " - can't see why that would be so. there haven't even been all that many cases in Phuket.

i suspect the actual problem is lack of vaccine or vaccine being diverted elsewhere and they prefer not to say so.

Anyone else think that the Thai govt and the EC are very similar?

Again, The "Foreigners " are not coming.

Especially if you keep calling people Foreigners.  

Tourists, visitors or Vacationers,  period. 

Not The Foreigners. 

Residents and Citizen's of Thailand are not very inclined or invited by the Use of the word: Foreigners to visit Phuket, or anywhere else on the Planet. 

It almost sounds as though it's a sanctum reserved for prison inmates or lawlessness of behavior. "what shall we due about the invaders?" 

The Pensioners with disposable income is demeaning in itself, but Foreigner is truly Racism.  

Im not born of Asia, nor this hemisphere, but if thats where "Foreigners" are suppose to go (Phuket) for vacation: Im not going to be labeled and discriminated by any government or any people by going there. 

Phuket may stay vacant and unoccupied. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Creating borders in your own country simply will not work. Vaccinate the whole country and then make plans to open up. 

There are not enough vaccines. This is really a test to see if vaccinations work at all in a semi controlled environment.

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

only Phuket is important... The rest of Thailand not. Get the whole island vaccinated with all available jabs and in the meantime health workers, who are in close contact with possible patients have to wait....  

Phuket is an island. It is a test. Health care workers are getting an allotment. This are also allotments for hard hit areas.

5 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

I can actually see what the Government is trying to do ... however, to make this work 100% they would have to stop ALL domestic flights in and out of Phuket, close the bridges, stop ferry's and stop local boats going across to the island, otherwise it ill be like a bucket with a dozen holes in it. And how are they going to stop other traders, vendors, and prostitutes from other provinces going down there to catch a piece of the action ?

It would not be necessary. Theoretically, if there is herd immunity, there would not be any spread. Anyone that is infected, they can contact trace to see if the infection came from the island.

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I still maintain that tourists will not return in meaningful numbers until there are no restrictions on movement and no quarantine.

That is what the Phuket plan is. No quarantine and no restrictions on the island. If it works well, all the tourist areas will follow the same plan.

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Why is the vaccination rollout delayed by the spiking virus?

they have nothing to do with each other...

just more excuses on not knowing how to management this virus....

most important to get shot in arms ASAP....that’s your best defense vs virus - not delay shots...

I totally agree. Makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

In order to achieve Herd Immunity, Vaccines have to be injected into arms.

And that is just not happening.

The population of " residents ", in Phuket is 600,000, so at least 400,000 + need to be vaccinated 2 times for Immunity

That is only population at it’s peak. I think the population in 2020 was 80k. Most people that worked in industries that depended on tourists went home.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

It doesn’t really matter whether they delay their plans or not. Very few people are going to come any way imho. So plan all you want, the people who make the decisions that matter are the tourists themselves.

Phuket is the most over rated piece of   ----   tourist destination in Thailand... let it go under to do the rest of the country a favor... The people ripping off the tourists that go there can go make their money at the next place

1 hour ago, Robert Washington DC said:

I will certainly come. As much as I am not fond of Phuket, being locked down on an island beats being quarantined in a hotel room! For 7 days, it will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Why is the vaccination rollout delayed by the spiking virus?

they have nothing to do with each other...

just more excuses on not knowing how to management this virus....

most important to get shot in arms ASAP....that’s your best defense vs virus - not delay shots...

The burning question here is, are there any funds to buy the Vaccinations in the first place, point in fact Thai Airways is a classic case.  There have been numerous announcements about buying this or placing orders for that , smoke and feathers?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

only Phuket is important... The rest of Thailand not. Get the whole island vaccinated with all available jabs and in the meantime health workers, who are in close contact with possible patients have to wait....  

Well, it's not about Phuket and Phuket only, but preferably at golf locations because some short sighted rule riders have found out that it is important for the tourism to have vaccinated all the "golf caddy boys" over health personell, olderly and persons with underlying sicknesses - with other words and unfortunately it seems to be all about wrong priorities and nothing about common sense - LOS at its best .... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why Thailand does not do what most Countries do give priority to the old sick hospital workers getting the vaccine first ect

Instead of looking at making money ????  giving the tourist areas Phuket Pattaya  ect more priority over the rest of the Country 

Unbelievable but this is Thailabd 

• Like 1

There is no proven herd immunity.  You can still shed the virus after a vaccination.  The cheap vaccines chosen by Thailand are only about 50% effective. 

So many things done wrong by Anutin's health department that it would be funny if the end results weren't so deadly and catastrophic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Whereas the west has covered itself in glory with its planning. This covid-19 could be a blessing in disguise as a trial run for a really deadly disease, at least we could learn from our mistakes

Cases
140M
Recovered
79.5M
Deaths
3M
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

The cheap vaccines chosen by Thailand are only about 50% effective.

How do you know the others are more effective? You believe the pharma companies who want to sell the product? They are absolved from legal liability if anything goes wrong so why should I trust anything they say?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

For 2.5% it was deadly, especially if they had underlying concerns; for most it was a bad case of flu; for others they didn't even know they had it, let's not make a mountain from a mole hill.

OK lets go over old ground, left unchecked only 2.5% of Thailand is how many ? It is 1,750,000 but hey it is only 2.5% and most of them weren't well anyway so it doesn't matter

• Like 1

Just now, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

How do you know the others are more effective? You believe the pharma companies who want to sell the product? They are absolved from legal liability if anything goes wrong so why should I trust anything they say?

Oh don't trust, instead rely on determinism, causality is the master of all things, we have no power, no choice.

10 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

I agree with you. The big pharma companies usually have huge influence on the media because there's lots of money involved. You can't trust their published 'research reports' or clinical trials.

Look at WHO's announcement that Astrazeneca is 'safe' even though many countries reported deaths.

If it is so 'safe', then why can't the victims claim money from them in case of death or adverse side effects?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, EricTh said:

They shouldn't have let any tourists in until the herd immunity (70% of Thai have been vaccinated) have been achieved. Who brought the UK variant in and caused the third wave?

Fully vaccinated people present an infinitesimal  danger of speeding covid, in fact , after  being tested before they come, quarantined for 8 days  where they are tested two more time before released, are probably the safest people as far as covid is concerned, in Thailand. 

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has identified about 5,800 fully vaccinated people who have contracted COVID-19 so far, a fraction of the 66 million Americans who have been vaccinated. "

https://www.axios.com/cdc-can-vaccinated-people-still-get-covid-19-fc5cb74b-16b6-4494-852b-fa3d9eb4ba84.html

Which if I did my math right represents a .0008%  chance.  I believe you have a much much higher chance of being hit by lightening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Desperation........ Give it another six months and you'll be able to buy Phuket for twenty quid.......    I would of thought they'd of figured out by now how much money you could make on testing everyone coming into Thailand, minimum quarantine just like Indonesia and Bobs your uncle, in to spend and enjoy...... This fiasco could go on for another two years easily, every time someone coughs then whole place is shut down.......   Glad i'm in Istanbul, all the bars and restaurants are open and the little flowers over here could match anything in Thailand.......      What a sad farcical situation that's been generated day by day.....       97 dead and willing to sacrifice the stability of the whole country, just shows you how contagious fear can be........  LMF........... 

99 dead as of now in the last year.. the sky is falling.

277 traffic fatalities during 1 week.. that's just the risk of driving in Thailand. 

Banning motorcycles would do more to save lives in the country than all the covid measures combined

• Like 2
  • Sad 1