Expired licence?: Police decide to follow DLT lead - amnesty to June 30th

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

If your driving licence has expired in Thailand not to worry.

After the Department of Land Transport announced earlier in the week that they are not renewing  licences until June 30th the RTP has followed suit.

Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat has issued orders for police nationwide not to prosecute anyone within an expired licence.

This will be in force until 30th June also, reported Daily News.

This is all because of the third wave of the coronavirus pandemic currently hitting Thailand. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-17

It's not about orders for police nationwide not to prosecute anyone with an expired licence, the queston is,  will they prosecute those that DO NOT have a licence?

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was what happens to the vehicle insurance in case you get involved in a car accident and your driver's license has been expired. 

No problem until 30th June  

1 hour ago, pattjock said:

So everyone who have a license expiring 30th June have to renew the license that day or they will be driving with an expired license??

It will probably be like the visa extension amnesties where they keep prolonging them as long as the health crisis is at a very high level.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was what happens to the vehicle insurance in case you get involved in a car accident and your driver's license has been expired. 

You would think if logic prevails that had your license been valid on the day they stopped issuing new licenses that you will remain covered during the entire period that it takes for you to get a license including the resulting backlog.

However logic rarely prevails and insurance companies are known to do anything possible to avoid making any payment.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:
4 hours ago, kotsak said:

You would think if logic prevails that had your license been valid on the day they stopped issuing new licenses that you will remain covered during the entire period that it takes for you to get a license including the resulting backlog.

However logic rarely prevails and insurance companies are known to do anything possible to avoid making any payment.

Exactly, and that is my concern..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, anchadian said:

It's not about orders for police nationwide not to prosecute anyone with an expired licence, the queston is,  will they prosecute those that DO NOT have a licence?

Shhhh! What's too difficult to answer at short notice........ 

On 4/17/2021 at 5:14 AM, kotsak said:

Sod the police and their corruption but how about vehicle insurances?

I'm sure the nice man that crashes into your car with no valid insurance due to no licence will pay willingly for you to have a new car - say in about 20 years or so

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Missing the point here. Isn't that somewhat obvious. If people cannot renew their driving licenses, you cannot prosecute them for driving with an expired license... ????

According to who?

You're using logic. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist here.

Edited by curtklay

On 4/17/2021 at 11:06 AM, webfact said:

Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat has issued orders for police nationwide not to prosecute anyone within an expired licence.

What about the 17,000 plus that were pulled over during Songkran and found not to even have a licence?

I renewed my licence last month in Udon. I am not going to take a chance on insurance not covering me due to an expired licence.

I walked in and applied for the renewel and was in and out with my licences within an hour.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

You honestly think Insurance Companies/ (scammers) will pay out on expired licenses in the case if an accident. They definitely  won't!

Of course they will - and expect you have not asked your insurance company have you !

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Of course they will - and expect you have not asked your insurance company have you !

I tend to agree with you.

If an amnesty is in effect, your DL has not technically "expired" until the amnesty is lifted.

But hey, TIT, anything could happen.

• Like 1