"It's not time yet" to relax Thailand’s laws on foreigners owning land/property, say analysts

webfact

Just now, overherebc said:

Lots of news on many things like this always seem to be based on might be/could be.

Wonder why?

Running it up the flagpole to see if it flutters... it appears not to have fluttered. Not the bargains some were hoping for perhaps?

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Actually I think they are missing a huge opportunity here.

I'd do this.

1. Allow foreigners to own a property, land and all. 

2. On 'natural' death - if not sold before - the house and property goes either to the foreigners half Thai children, Thai wife, allowed to pass down once to 'foreign family' ownership for 50 years or given up to the Thai state for auction.

This way the land is only temporarily owned and eventually returned to a Thai. 

Who would control the auction?

Think about it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Actually I think they are missing a huge opportunity here.

I'd do this.

1. Allow foreigners to own a property, land and all. 

2. On 'natural' death - if not sold before - the house and property goes either to the foreigners half Thai children, Thai wife, allowed to pass down once to 'foreign family' ownership for 50 years or given up to the Thai state for auction.

This way the land is only temporarily owned and eventually returned to a Thai. 

The children of Foreigner man and Thai woman have full Thai nationality.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd be dead, I would not care

I've never paid for a house here. Usually the companies I've worked for have picked up the tab for where I lived.

Still haven't paid rent either since I retired.

Seriously thinking about going back to UK and may buy a small flat. When I pop my cloggs my wife can have it to sell or rent out. That will be her choice.

• Like 2

While it seems in Thailand it is never the right time for a foreigner yo own anything, 

In a sense must agree with the notion that this time it is actually really not the right time, and here is why:

The condominium market is at an oversupply, with few if any foreigners buying now, simply bcos not many able to travel.

Part of the condominiums appeal was always to be able to hold it on name, and the building's 49% ownership limit creating some sort of price support for desirable units available with a tighter limit.

Open buying house and land now, with a parallel increase of foreign allotted condo units will most likely only see the already so-so condo market to fully collapse, and at places the house prices to rise to a level that most local middle class will be priced out of their part of town.

Perhaps a stinger economy and a healthy real estate market would create the " right time" got such move; right now Thailand has neither.

• Like 2

Just now, HOAX said:

Of course its not time, it never will be, but isn't it time for all other countries to ban Thais from owning property, not allowing Thais to do any other work than massage and cooking, not allowing Thais to invest and not giving them citizenship and all the benefits it gives? You know, an eye for an eye, for once.

Quite right. Quid Pro Quo and a sharp kick in the backside to teach them how to behave in polite company.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HOAX said:

Of course its not time, it never will be, but isn't it time for all other countries to ban Thais from owning property, not allowing Thais to do any other work than massage and cooking, not allowing Thais to invest and not giving them citizenship and all the benefits it gives? You know, an eye for an eye, for once.

That's how it works for visas. Reciprocity.

If you put barriers in my citizens way, I return the "favour"

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

It's also high time that Thais were allowed to stay in Western countries for up to 30 days without having to go through formidable bureaucratic hurdles involved in obtaining a suitable visa, like my Thai wife had to in order to accompany me on a 12-day trip back to the UK several years ago. An eye for an eye, as you say.

Only when they can be trusted to abide by the conditions of their visa, which too large a percentage do not. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1