"It's not time yet" to relax Thailand’s laws on foreigners owning land/property, say analysts

webfact

On 4/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, webfact said:

he pointed out that foreigners were hardly beating a path to Thailand's door.

Nor will they till the property-owning scam is outlawed.  There are too many auditors filling their boots annually doing company taxes; too many lawyers benefitting by setting up companies to 'own' houses - none of them tell you that shareholders face jail when/if push comes to shove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, ikke1959 said:

Everything the Government or so called officials say is not true... Same sex marriage, 90 day report land and house owning.. no covid restrictions, just name it.... Stop giving fake hopes to people..

Don't forget they are military educated soldiers, and don't have a clue how to run a country.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Mainly just not abiding by time limits. Apparently, Thais are somewhat given to getting a visa an then just disappearing into the countryside and not leaving. Same as they do in Japan, Korea USA etc. None of this has anything to do with my opinion of Thais, I just pass on the comments as received.

I think this is all in your head, I find it hard to believe that a member of the British government would say to you that Thais are unwelcome in the country. 

Please be more considerate when posting on this forum as many of us have Thai family.

55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think this is all in your head, I find it hard to believe that a member of the British government would say to you that Thais are unwelcome in the country. 

Please be more considerate when posting on this forum as many of us have Thai family.

The poster was just quoting the realities. There's a long history of Thai students getting a visa to study in Australia; arrive, never attend class and just disappear. Which is why it's now difficult for Thais to get any visa to enter Australia.

But in terms of Australia it's not only Thais; Indonesians, Japanese, Malaysians, Indians and more do the same thing with education visas. Plus Thais (and many other nationalities) entering on tourist visas, work visas (e.g. farm work), just disappear. 

For balance let's remember how many western folks post here on TV about their (or 'friends') overstay problems and the Thai Immigration Detention Centre always has several hundred foreigners in 'residence', some for several years.

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

For balance let's remember how many western folks post here on TV about their (or 'friends') overstay problems and the Thai Immigration Detention Centre always has several hundred foreigners in 'residence', some for several years.

And don't forget the thousands that can't satisfy immigration requirements and buy a visa from dodgy foreign agents that bribe immigration police. I know one British agent that does this openly in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

And don't forget the thousands that can't satisfy immigration requirements and buy a visa from dodgy foreign agents that bribe immigration police. I know one British agent that does this openly in Pattaya.

Interesting of course, but no relevant.

• Sad 1

Just now, scorecard said:

The poster was just quoting the realities. There's a long history of Thai students getting a visa to study in Australia; arrive, never attend class and just disappear. Which is why it's now difficult for Thais to get any visa to enter Australia.

But in terms of Australia it's not only Thais; Indonesians, Japanese, Malaysians, Indians and more do the same thing with education visas. Plus Thais (and many other nationalities) entering on tourist visas, work visas (e.g. farm work), just disappear. 

Nail on head. but this conversation has extended past it's usefulness. My view are not his and there are good reasons why he has those view and I do not.

Just my opinion, but I think it's foolish for any country to allow non-citizens to own land. A country whose land is owned by foreigners is not really sovereign now is it? It's citizens are then just renters. 

I own a house here and have a 90 yr lease on the land. That works for me as I have no use for the land or the house after that. 

• Like 1

Just a note to Neeranam:  I really admire your ability to get Thai citizenship in record time.   And I envy you for that.

Concerning my case of land ownership:  I too was surprised when I took the Provincial Thai Court Order, designating me as executor of my (deceased) Thai wife's estate, to the local land office.  I then saw them type my name as the last person on the land deed.  (After living for 40 years here, I would not mistake a large tan land deed with the small blue house book).   So I repeatedly queried the Bangkok land and district officials whether adding my name to the deed meant that I could sell the land (although I had no intention to do so).  Multiple  officials at the land office affirmed that, yes, I could now sell the land, and there was no time limit to do so.

But then they added the ringer that I could not sell the house which sits on the land.  This was so paradoxical from my Western perspective  that I went back multiple times to confirm that only a Thai citizen can have their name on the House # Form, which is the basis for issuing the blue house book. 

Strange, but true -- at least in my case.   

Unless you have first-hand experience like mine, I would request that you respect the validity of my version of events:  Foreigners, like me, can own land in Thailand.

• Like 1

I won't hold my breath waiting for any of these laws to be "relaxed". 

So glad our governments haven't made it easier for Thais living in our countries legally to buy and own property. 

5 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Just a note to Neeranam:  I really admire your ability to get Thai citizenship in record time.   And I envy you for that.

Concerning my case of land ownership:  I too was surprised when I took the Provincial Thai Court Order, designating me as executor of my (deceased) Thai wife's estate, to the local land office.  I then saw them type my name as the last person on the land deed.  (After living for 40 years here, I would not mistake a large tan land deed with the small blue house book).   So I repeatedly queried the Bangkok land and district officials whether adding my name to the deed meant that I could sell the land (although I had no intention to do so).  Multiple  officials at the land office affirmed that, yes, I could now sell the land, and there was no time limit to do so.

But then they added the ringer that I could not sell the house which sits on the land.  This was so paradoxical from my Western perspective  that I went back multiple times to confirm that only a Thai citizen can have their name on the House # Form, which is the basis for issuing the blue house book. 

Strange, but true -- at least in my case.   

Unless you have first-hand experience like mine, I would request that you respect the validity of my version of events:  Foreigners, like me, can own land in Thailand.

Thanks for the clarification. 

It does seem strange. I've never heard of this happening before.