Hangovers

cdnvic

There's lots more to avoiding hangovers than not drinking. My usual method is to drink one bottle of water to at least every two 640ml bottles of beer (or every few glasses of JW or 100 Pipers), have a kratindeng before going to bed, and be sure to eat some time during the evening.

I think the worst mistake people make is using beer to hydrate themselves. I've noticed when you are really thirsty that the first beer just knocks the wind out of my sails. I think it's because when you are dehydrated the body soaks up liquids faster and deeper into the tissues (only a hunch) and takes the alcohol with it. This hits your whole body rather than just numbing the brain. I've found if I have water to cure the thirst beforehand I have a lot more energy during our evenings out.

As for cures, I used to drink a litre or so of water and go back to bed for an hour or two. That was until I found I could avoid most of it by drinking the water before going to sleep.

What measures do you use?

Edited by cdnvic

Lots of water before and after.

A good feed before hand.

Snacks during the session.

And a few bottles of "Wakie" before the event.

Avoid Beer Chang at all costs.

have a good meal a couple of hours before the session a pint of milk before going out ,make your 1st drink a water ,that way your not so thirsty ,dont mix up your drinks ,when you get home drink as much water as you can this may keep you going to the toilet all night but will get the alchohol out of your system quicker and reduce the chances of a hangover ,works for me :o

If i drink too much water in an attempt to be ok in the morning, i usually pee somewhere I shouldnt during the night (never on myself in bed tho, i make the effort to get up just forget where the toilet actually is)

I find a dark skinned female helps me to get up in the morning :o

Cdnvic, You drink Red Bull BEFORE bed? Wow! Water is the obvious and best preventative medicine. I disolve a DeChamp electrolyte beverage in a pint of water before bed and in the morning, too. I reckon it helps a lot.

Cdnvic, You drink Red Bull BEFORE bed? Wow! Water is the obvious and best preventative medicine. I disolve a DeChamp electrolyte beverage in a pint of water before bed and in the morning, too. I reckon it helps a lot.

Same 2long, nest is the powdered electrolyte in water before bed. Also one or two litres of water with electrolyte the day after.

Works Good. Avoid whisky is also a good method.

Hangover Cure Advice

:o

It has a high concentration of vitamins that the alcohol has flushed away over the course of the evening. The stimulant aspect is more than compensated by the effect of the alcohol, so a single kratendeng usually doesn't harm the sleep much at all.

An actual scientific study done shows that most of the "old wives tales" do not hold up. The only experiments that showed any kind of decent results were drinking a glass of water for every cocktail you have and or drinking a liter of water or an electrolyte beverage with an anti-inflammatory such as Tylenol before bed. Cheers and good luck.

Wow, I don't think I could get any sleep at all if I took a Red Bull before bed. I always say 'take' a Red Bull, rather than 'drink', since the effects are so hallucinogenic and crazy for me.

I usually drink a boatload of water the night before going to sleep. If I have to work the next day, I set my alarm about an hour earlier than I have to. I pop two Paracetemols and then go back to sleep for that blissful hour. When I finally wake up, I feel like 1000B!

I'd say it works everytime, but we all know that's a complete and utter lie. However, it helps from time to time.

BFD!

There's lots more to avoiding hangovers than not drinking. My usual method is to drink one bottle of water to at least every two 640ml bottles of beer (or every few glasses of JW or 100 Pipers), have a kratindeng before going to bed, and be sure to eat some time during the evening.

I think the worst mistake people make is using beer to hydrate themselves. I've noticed when you are really thirsty that the first beer just knocks the wind out of my sails. I think it's because when you are dehydrated the body soaks up liquids faster and deeper into the tissues (only a hunch) and takes the alcohol with it. This hits your whole body rather than just numbing the brain. I've found if I have water to cure the thirst beforehand I have a lot more energy during our evenings out.

As for cures, I used to drink a litre or so of water and go back to bed for an hour or two. That was until I found I could avoid most of it by drinking the water before going to sleep.

What measures do you use?

How you react to a hangover is based upon your individual body metaqbolisim and changes as you age.

The cause of the weak/dehydrated feeling that you know is a hangover is due to the fact that alchohol mimics the normal sugars/carbohydrates that your body uses as food in your cells. The alchohol attaches to the points your cell uses to asorb these "food" items it needs for energy to operate the cell. Normally after energy is transferred into the cell, the used up "food" molecules are disconected by the cell metabolisim. Alchol, because of it's slightly different molecular shape, attaches to those points in the cell, but has lower energy to transfer into the cell, and then is harder to release. Hence your cells do not get the anount of energy they need, and the waste products are harder to remove.

So what you need is a high-energy drink that will provide a quick boost to your cells. Those electrolyte replacement drinks will work well, such as Gatorade. For best effect, drink it just before you go to sleep

After that, the only thing that works is to rest your body and give it time to rebuild it's energy levels.

For some people, a high sugar (sweet) drink or ice cream soda before going to bed will give the energy required, but everyone's metabolisim is different. Time to recover is the only sure answer.

:D

Before I go to bed, I (sometimes) make a self-determination as to just how drunk I am.

:o Mildly pissed: No problem, have another drink before going to bed !

:D Moderately pissed: 1/2 a liter of water to wash down a couple of Tylenol just before going to bed.

:D Staggeringly Pissed: On those rare ocassions where I know I've drank way, way too much, sometimes drastic measures are called for. Rather than wait until the "bed-spins" and such force me to dash to the toilet, I'll make a pre-emptive trip and offer myself up to the porcelain god. After offering all that I can, 4 tylenol and a liter of water.

I do find it a liitle strange though, that I rarely get a hang-over in LOS. Back in the Great White North, if I drank half as much in an evening, I'd be catatonic the next day.

I pretty much restrict myself to Jack Daniels and coke when I'm drinking, and always insist on getting a straw to stir the drink before imbibing (a lot of places put the ice and coke in, then add the whiskey on top. That first sip is almost like drinking a straight shot if you don't stir it up a bit).

If I know I'm going to be hitting the bars, I will usually have a good meal shortly before going out. Pasta/Pizza type meals seem to work well at absorbing a lot of the alcohol. A couple of times I ended up somewhere and had a drink or two without eating first and I could feel the effects of the alcohol very quickly. By then, it's too late. Even a large meal won't help. Those nights tend to finish early for me.

I agree with all of the water comments. Drink lots of it !!

For the morning after I use Berocca effervescent tablets in water.

Basically loaded with vitamin C and loads of different B's. Probably similar to Wakie and other products available but it works well for me. (before drinking the hair of the dog !!).

available at most pharmacies in LOS (I believe)

I was about 19 when after a bday party I had a huge hangover, my head alone felt like 100kg. My friend's grandfather recommended 1 beer mixed soda. It worked miracles.

:D I agree with water and food during, before and after a serious drinking session. I have always found that a roll in the sack and steak & eggs with some smoke will get me back on my feet on the weekends. Weekdays a hot tea, shag if time, anti-aircraft artillery fire ( next door) and some smoke. Guess it is always different depending on the person, type of booze, how much, how long, how fast and grub in the tub. Heavy sex works it off before morning in some cases. Older I get the harder it is to shake off before 7am.

Ok then, Why have my hangovers become increasingly worse in the last 3 years?

I am now twenty five and a hangover to me is probably the most painful experience I have ever had, in fact if I get pissed on a friday night (which rarely happens now) I will pull a sickie at all costs!

Anyway, a few years back a full on session till about 3am and then up at 8am for work would not trouble me in the slightest, I find it very strange!

Anybody know why!

Chok dee khrap!

Mark

Edited by markr

I am now twenty five and a hangover to me is probably the most painful experience I have ever had, in fact if I get pissed on a friday night (which rarely happens now) I will pull a sickie at all costs!

Anyway, a few years back a full on session till about 3am and then up at 8am for work would not trouble me in the slightest, I find it very strange!

Anybody know why!

Chok dee khrap!

Mark

Wait until you hit 35 Mark, then you'll know what a hangover is..Pure suffering for days.. :o

Anybody know why!

Chok dee khrap!

Mark

Wait until you hit 35 Mark, then you'll know what a hangover is..Pure suffering for days.. :D

Cheers then mate!

Looking forward to it already

:o:D

Edited by markr

I pretty much restrict myself to Jack Daniels and coke when I'm drinking,

Someone once told me that Coke (Cola) based drinks will make you have a worse hangover if you get drunk.

I never drink coke based drinks anyhow, but is there any truth in it?

Sailor

Anybody know why!

Chok dee khrap!

Mark

Wait until you hit 35 Mark, then you'll know what a hangover is..Pure suffering for days.. :D

Cheers then mate!

Looking forward to it already

:D:D

The Liver: Introduction and Index :o

I pretty much restrict myself to Jack Daniels and coke when I'm drinking,

Someone once told me that Coke (Cola) based drinks will make you have a worse hangover if you get drunk.

I never drink coke based drinks anyhow, but is there any truth in it?

Sailor

I would have to agree with that. After a solid night on Jack Daniels and Coke i feel like my heads in a vice..

Most hangovers are caused by dehydration and the congeners (fusel oils) in alcoholic beverages. The most important thing is to eat before a session and not be dehydrated to begin with, which is not so easy in a tropical climate.

After a drinking session I eat tangerines before I sleep. Plus I have a large glass of water by the bed with 'Sea Lyte' dissolved in it. (Available at Thai pharmacies).

In the morning force yourself to eat a full fried English breakfast, then after one hour neck a quadruple vodka mixed with tomatoe juice, and you'll be buzzing.

Hangovers...What hangover?

ok punters,

ive got the good oil from an extremely experienced fellow about this very serious issue. :bah:

the dude told me to smoke a few joints during the night and not drink so much bleeding alcohol.

the old wacky tabbacy does wonders he recons. :D

anyway,

i could never give it a crack as its bloody illegal ain't it. :bah::o

cricky's, i can feel another hangover coming on. :D

quick mate,

stop bogarting that <deleted> joint and pass it over will ya. :D

thank you very much, :D

terence

ok punters,

ive got the good oil from an extremely experienced fellow about this very serious issue. :bah:

the dude told me to smoke a few joints during the night and not drink so much bleeding alcohol.

anyway,

i could never give it a crack as its bloody illegal ain't it. :o :o

cricky's, i can feel another hangover coming on. :bah:

quick mate,

terence

Looks like you have been eating at this restaurant again T.. :D

post-31110-1179766338_thumb.jpg

ok punters,

anyway,

i could never give it a crack as its bloody illegal ain't it. :o:o

cricky's, i can feel another hangover coming on. :D

quick mate,

terence

Terry, you naughty old man, smoking that stuff will turn you hair green! My tip for hangover is to drink a few more the next day.......hair of the dog....but it does end up with a bbq'd liver...

:bah:

What really annoys me is when I start getting a hang-over, while I'm still drinking !

Doesn't happen often, but once in awhile I'll go out for the evening and a couple hours into it, suddenly I start getting a massive hang-over type headache that won't go away. End up going home early, cranking back the Tylenol and spending a couple of miserable hours trying to get to sleep.

I've heard about the "soda" based drink being a cause of hang-overs, but I've also heard that mixing types is bad, and beer-drinkers get hang-overs as well, as do people that drink wine or straight shots of the hard stuff (like scotch or Tequila). The common ingredient in all is alcohol of course.

It took me a couple of years to discover why some Saturday mornings I would wake up with hang-over like symptoms, even though I hadn't been drinking the night before.

During the work-week, I would get into a routine of waking up around the same time every day. Having a regular breakfast/lunch/supper, and normally going to bed around the same time each night.

But then Friday comes along. Sometimes skip supper, stay out late, sleep in late, miss breakfast and next thing I know, massive headaches as though I had been boozing it up all night. The changes in the routine and skipping the meals was just as bad as a heavy drinking binge. That's when I started making sure I had a good meal before heading out on the town for the night, and I've had much fewer crummy "morning-afters" as a result.