Quality Used Car Purchase/Inspection

Buddhasoup

I am interested in purchasing a used vehicle circa 2017-2020 such as a small SUV type (Honda HRV or Jazz or similar). In the event that I can locate the car on an online search forum, are there any recommendations for a prepurchase vehicle inspection service, or repair shop, that can test the vehicle and advise of any issues before the purchase? As well, are there used car dealers in Chiang Mai that have a good reputation, above the others? I'm aware of Expat Auto and intend to shop them along with others in the market. Any recommendations are appreciated. 

How about the new car dealers who sell used on an adjacent lot and the used are advertised as "certified" or similar with warranties incicating that hey have been well gone over and repairs made if needed?

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

How about the new car dealers who sell used on an adjacent lot and the used are advertised as "certified" or similar with warranties incicating that hey have been well gone over and repairs made if needed?

I have looked at this, but some Thai friends tell me that used cars all have had their internal parts swapped out and that used cars all have suspicious origins. I have found that anecdote difficult to believe, and it may be a Thai urban myth that many used cars are all compromised this way. In the US, I have always bought used certified cars to save the many thousands that new cars require at their inflated prices.  

38 minutes ago, Buddhasoup said:

but some Thai friends tell me that used cars all have had their internal parts swapped out and that used cars all have suspicious origins.

They have no knowledge of cars then.

How knowledgeable are you ? Any car experience - pulling wrenches, etc ?

If you can not determine the shape the car you want is in you are at the mercy of whoever is selling it.

"Certified" used cars by Toyota et al will all have their prices inflated compared to a used car from a private party

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

"Certified" used cars by Toyota et al will all have their prices inflated compared to a used car from a private party

And that is the question: are the warranty, extra inspection, and reputation worth this added expense? Those cars have been screened. The dealers are reselling the cream of the crop. They don't want to fool with angry customers bringing back lemons, and do want to maintain their reputation. 

But I would like to know the answer to OP's question: Where to find an honest, independent mechanic who will inspect a vehicle you're considering. I vaguely recall that Expat Auto provides that service. Confirm? 

Edited by LawrenceN
Misspelling

I always bought used in USA too..

My Thai wife will tell you that if you have anything used to sell, if it is in good shape, then a family memberr will buy it.. if it is <deleted>, then nobody wants it and you sell on the open market... 

of course, that might not apply to farang previously owned vehicles... 

I just had a very good experience at a well recommended repair/tire shop - big place - very competent... and they might do inspections for you - they were very thorough. PM if you want the name and location.

I've bought two used vehicles (traded an Isuzu truck for a Mu7 and then that for a Honda HRV) from SD Car Center in the past six years and been very happy with their service.  They are hard bargainers, but both the cars I bought were really well prepared and pretty much looked and drove like new.  They are on the right as you leave town on the Mai Jo road - the last dealer before the third ring road.

• Like 1

Find the car you want on One2Car.   go see it at the tent.  show interest in buying cash.  then ask them (without advance notice) if you can take it to the local dealer for a walk-in checkup -- probably with one of the guys from the tent driving.  Most dealers will accept walk ins for a basic once over.  That's what I did when I bought my Isuzu.  ... Except I flew to Bangkok to buy it.  newer model and lower price than I could find in Chiang Mai.  Also, the Isuzu dealer verified the maintenance records on the computer.  worked out well.  I flew back to Chiang Mai and they delivered the car to me a week later after some minor fixes (window film, door handles) and paperwork were done.  So, there is a chance that they swapped out all the good parts for garbage as many people fear ... but 2 years later I'm still happy and haven't found any evidence of scam parts or surprise failures.  Btw .. all of this was achieved in Thai language in person and Line chat with the tent owner.  Might make a difference.

OP - if you are buying the car locally and the car has been regularly serviced by the main dealer (which it probably has if only 3 years old as likely under warranty) then maybe best to ask the owners permission to take it there to check, they have the full service records and mileage details, etc. 

This is what we did when we purchased about 10 years ago.  I offered to pay for the check and the farang owner had no issues as he knew the car was good.  If someone wasnt' willing to have it inspected, I wouldn't follow through as it would arouse my suspicious.  My two penneth worth.