Paint on wheel nuts after a service

Wiggy

Hello,

I’ve just got my car back from a service (Honda main dealer, and been there loads of times for a service) and when I got home I noticed one wheel nut on each wheel has a spot of bright pink paint on it, as have the brake callipers. Does anyone know what it’s for? I’m guessing it’s some sort of anti-tampering, or something. Thanks in advance. 

27 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Usually that's a line, from the part, over to the screw. This allows you to easily notice if a nut / screw needs to be re-tightened.

OP referenced a 'dot' on one wheel-nut, not 'lines' corresponding to an aligned marking on the wheel.

Probably a QA marking indicating the correct torque setting has been used. Self certified or third party inspected. If meaningful, I'd expect to see a 'dot' on each nut/bolt.

One dot is really meaningless and it may be a localised practice. I'd ask at the service centre, if I wanted to know!

The whole of the top surface of the nut has been painted. I’ll post a photo tomorrow. It’s not a big issue, but I’m just very curious. Thanks for the replies. 

17 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Probably to show it has been checked.

Here I've noticed that unfortunately multiple mechanics work on the same vehicle sometimes drifting away to work on another car or take a break only to be replaced by a different mechanic. Maybe the marks are used so they and the service manager knows what has been completed.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:48 AM, Wiggy said:

Here’s a photo:

B9713AE4-D107-4263-8D9D-12001DF92150.jpeg

Looks like vandalism to me! Glad my Honda dealers have never pulled that stunt. If it was meant as QC, like in factories, it would be a dot or line from a grease pencil. I would go back and ask them wt...f?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Looks like vandalism to me! Glad my Honda dealers have never pulled that stunt. If it was meant as QC, like in factories, it would be a dot or line from a grease pencil. I would go back and ask them wt...f?

I’m not too perturbed as it’s easy to remove, but just curious that it’s the first time in five years that it’s happened (same dealer). I’m due to go back soon for a couple of new shock absorbers so I’ll ask then. 

13 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I’m not too perturbed as it’s easy to remove, but just curious that it’s the first time in five years that it’s happened (same dealer). I’m due to go back soon for a couple of new shock absorbers so I’ll ask then. 

Do remember to come back here & let us know please.

34 minutes ago, johng said:

The "normal" air we breath is 78% nitrogen, at least they didn't charge you for it ?

There was no charge on the invoice for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Honda have just told me that the pink paint on the wheel nut was to indicate that the tyres had been filled with nitrogen. I didn’t ask for this, so I guess it’s something they just do. I had all four tyres replaced the following day so it didn’t last long! 

In the USA, nitrogen filled tires/wheels are marked with green valve stem caps. It is used to maintain more constant tire pressures as it leaks 40% more slowly. It is also expensive, so I hear.

Nitrogen in your new tires? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Nitrogen in your new tires? 

I assume not. I got the tyres at B-Quik and I didn’t request nitrogen. I researched it a little and there are no big advantages to having nitrogen filled tyres It seems. 

21 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I assume not. I got the tyres at B-Quik and I didn’t request nitrogen.

https://www.b-quik.com/en/promotion/nitrogen-inflation-buffet

It wouldn't surprise me if they throw this in for free if you buy tires from them.

21 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I researched it a little and there are no big advantages to having nitrogen filled tyres It seems. 

That's correct, it's just marketing.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

Nitrogen is used to inflate high-pressure tyres on militarily aircraft for increased safety. In the event of a wheel brake fire if a tyre explodes the inert nitrogen gas will not feed the fire. Standard air contains about 14 % oxygen. There is no significant advantage  in using nitrogen gas to fill regular vehicle tyres. It's  just another money spinner.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Honda have just told me that the pink paint on the wheel nut was to indicate that the tyres had been filled with nitrogen. I didn’t ask for this, so I guess it’s something they just do. I had all four tyres replaced the following day so it didn’t last long! 

I see pink paint on the caliper also. Did they fill the brake lines with nitrogen too?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Is  this a  money making scam then as "air" is  80% nitrogen already, did they charge you for it?, Nitrogen in  Car Tyres is  just a scam, aircraft use it  as no water in it, anything else is BS

55 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Is  this a  money making scam then as "air" is  80% nitrogen already, did they charge you for it?, Nitrogen in  Car Tyres is  just a scam, aircraft use it  as no water in it, anything else is BS

I wasn’t charged for it and yes, from what I’ve read, nitrogen in car tyres is unnecessary. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Lets  hear  more  about that CBX 1000 /6

I used to own one back in the mid ‘80s. The photograph on my profile isn’t actually my bike, but the colour scheme is the same. I miss that bike so much, and would love to own one again, but they’re very expensive now.