LPG conversion question

kekalot

so i'm about to buy a little pickup, specifically a Suzuki Carry 2nd hand but noticed some of them are modified to run on LPG only then 50% of the rest are on a LPG/petrol switch of some sort.

I don't really like if the vehicle is "LPG only" because where I plan to be living soon there is a severe lack of LPG stations but is there any reason why I should avoid buying a vehicle with a switch?

like would the engine be less capable or anything like that?

would there be issues if i filled it once with LPG but not use it and only use petrol or vice versa?

I guess my choices is between petrol and petrol+lpg (via some switch).

which one should i go for and why

any info on this is welcome, I tried to search for "LPG" and "LPG Conversion" but kept getting rubbish results, sorry if it's been asked 50 times

Edited by kekalot
words.

Our town car was fitted with LPG from new. Over 220,000 Km so far.

It was originally equipped with the basic style system, and could run both gasoline and LPG. It can be switched automatically after startup, or you can select manually if you want LPG or Gasoline.

Last year we needed a new tank, and decided to go to the Multi Port system. This provides better throttle response and fuel economy.

Try to run a tank of gasoline thru once a month, but keep the switch on Auto, which means at startup it is on gasoline, and switches to LPG after some heat is built up in the engine.

Use Iridium spark plugs and LPG / CNG specific oil.

Had it 15 years. No issues. Fuel cost per Km is 50% cheaper than gasoline.

• Like 2

The Susuki carry has not been modified as such.  It was a standard duel fuel system that Susuki marketed and it had an Italian LPG system factory fitted.   Now whether your one you are looking at was standard or whether it was modified here in Thailand I don't know. If the latter don't touch it but if the former they work great with no problems  in my experience.  However I don't see  them offering the standard dual fuel model anymore.

The car drives OR on petrol OR on LPG, not both at the same time.

It automatically switches or manual. 

Did they put a LPG tank in the back of the car and therefor left the petrol tank as it was?

Then ok you can have a full tank of petrol, but did you see the gastank still in the car?

Or did they took it out and you only have some left overs from it, the switch?

So no gas installation what so ever, only a switch which indicates it was once there.

LPG is cheaper but you do less km to a liter then with petrol. Also power is less on LPG.

However that said, petrol nowadays is mixed with alcohol, so also brings down km/ltr and power.

21 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

The car drives OR on petrol OR on LPG, not both at the same time.

It automatically switches or manual. 

Did they put a LPG tank in the back of the car and therefor left the petrol tank as it was?

Then ok you can have a full tank of petrol, but did you see the gastank still in the car?

Or did they took it out and you only have some left overs from it, the switch?

So no gas installation what so ever, only a switch which indicates it was once there.

LPG is cheaper but you do less km to a liter then with petrol. Also power is less on LPG.

However that said, petrol nowadays is mixed with alcohol, so also brings down km/ltr and power.

I knew they don't run on both (at the same time), was asking if there was a tradeoff to having dual system.

those trucks are only 1600cc so not exactly strong to begin with, so a loss of power isn't all that great but then again I will only be moving my stuff in it once per few years (hopefully) and nothing heavy in between.

I don't know which one I am getting yet, still perusing FB Marketplace and will ask the proper questions when i make contact

I guess I learned that some years had dual system from factory installed but i'm not sure which year they were and if it was only an option

I'm just hoping I can find one that is in good shape, clean and either on petrol only or a switch system then

if dual systems run the "same" on petrol mode as a petrol only model then it's a non issue. i thought maybe it was modified and somehow reduced.

To the best of my knowledge you can not start a gasoline engine with only LPG it will need a minute or two to warm up before the LPG kicks in.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:35 AM, kekalot said:

would there be issues if i filled it once with LPG but not use it and only use petrol or vice versa?

No issue not using the LPG, but if no gasoline then you can not start the engine on LPG alone.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, kekalot said:

those trucks are only 1600cc so not exactly strong to begin with, so a loss of power isn't all that great

I find mine actually runs better and smoother on LPG.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:35 AM, kekalot said:

like would the engine be less capable or anything like that?

No never had that problem, I did an acceleration test on my old 1.6 NV sport, it only has 13" wheels i think that is why it is called 'sport' on gas

A/c on, two up 8.2 seconds 0-100 kmh

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

To the best of my knowledge you can not start a gasoline engine with only LPG it will need a minute or two to warm up before the LPG kicks in.

No issue not using the LPG, but if no gasoline then you can not start the engine on LPG alone.

I find mine actually runs better and smoother on LPG.

No never had that problem, I did an acceleration test on my old 1.6 NV sport, it only has 13" wheels i think that is why it is called 'sport' on gas

A/c on, two up 8.2 seconds 0-100 kmh

A car we own is on its second LPG system. Both systems were/are direct injection.

On the initial system it would start on LPG., but was advised to start it on gasoline.

On the newer system you cannot... even the guy who fitted the system said he couldn’t frig it when the fuel pump failed.

Edited by PFMills

1 minute ago, PFMills said:

A car we own is on its second LPG system. Both systems were/are direct injection.

On the initial system it would start on LPG., but was advised to start it on gasoline.

On the newer system you cannot... even the guy who fitted the system said he couldn’t frig it when the fuel pump failed.

Friging heck !. yeh mine is direct injection into manifold retro fitted by large company.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

To the best of my knowledge you can not start a gasoline engine with only LPG it will need a minute or two to warm up before the LPG kicks in

My guys used to start out "taxi" type system truck directly on LPG everyday. Not a problem here in Thailand. It had a on/off rocker switch separate to the level gauge. The auto system one I have now has push button integral with the level gauge.

There is an evaporator installed that is connected to the engine cooling system so uses hot water to do the evaporating but again in Thailand is no real problem. 

The "auto" systems don't switch to LPG until the engine is warm and above a certain rpm.

I can tell a warm day because it switches before I get to the main road.