Strong disincentive for many or most expats to get tested for Covid-19

Jingthing

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I heard f-rangs won't be sent to those. Instead to hotels or regular hospitals. I heard about 100k baht for a no or low symptom case. Highway robbery?

Do you have a legitimate source for the 100k figure ?

link to a website ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you have a legitimate source for the 100k figure ?

link to a website ?

Definitely a reasonable request.

However I can't relocate the source that I recall that mentioned both the 100K AND that expats would not be sent to field hospitals, but rather to hotels or hospitals. 

I do have this link that mentions the 100K figure but seems to imply that would be on the high end. 

The source that I unfortunately have failed to find said (to my recollection) that the 100K was not a surprisingly high bill and that would be for NO symptoms or mild symptom cases.

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand (January 15, 2021) | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Thailand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You can get 100K cover for asymptomatic/mild COVID care/1 million baht cover for severe COVID  for less than 1,000 baht premium a year

https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/

That's just one policy, there are many others as well

Would the 450 baht plan (Plan 1) cover me well enough if I get yanked away to some hospital/quarantine facility?

I'm a lean guy still in my 30s. My chances of having a serious health issue with this thing are pretty slim. 

The cost of farang quarantine is what worries me. 

I'm in one of the Isan "big 4" cities, in case that makes a difference.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You can get 100K cover for asymptomatic/mild COVID care/1 million baht cover for severe COVID  for less than 1,000 baht premium a year

I have excellent general health insurance which covers COVID but off course would not cover  being isolated in a hotel with asymptomatic or mild infections so thinking of getting this.

Need to get clarification that the medical expense cover would include field hospital/hotel facility for care of people with COVID as the policy wording pre-dates those being established but I think it would.

Hey Sheryl.  How genuine is that Roojai company ?  It's so cheap who underwrites  it? Have you researched?

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have excellent general health insurance which covers COVID but off course would not cover  being isolated in a hotel with asymptomatic or mild infections so thinking of getting this.

Need to get clarification that the medical expense cover would include field hospital/hotel facility for care of people with COVID as the policy wording pre-dates those being established but I think it would.

If you go through that company policy it's a 'claim ' after you would pay for any hospital fees!  Good luck with policy ! Never heard of this company and looks  completely unsafe 

• Confused 3

On 4/18/2021 at 3:22 AM, Jingthing said:

Then, if you're positive, they will send an ambulance to where you're at and take you away to wherever they're taking you, as an expat either a hotel or hospital.

Not true in all cases. I know of one expat, with mild symptoms,  he is currently in home quarantine, with his wife, after a positive test.

Sounds like expats have less to fear now that Thailand's meagre capacity for testing and hospitalisation has been so rapidly absorbed. Latest government guidelines are only to seek medical adivice if short of breath, elderly or otherwise health compromised.  They don't specify that seeking medical advice will result in testing or hospitalisation or that anyone will even pick up the phone.  This is the same as the UK when the pandemic first struck last year.  Despite more than a year's head start Thailand is in more or less the same state of preparedness, as the UK was then and without vaccines or a credible vaccination plan. 

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Same here.

But the quoted policy and others like it do not appear to cover you if you don't actually have the disease. Seems to me you might be slung in a facility if you report symptoms, and get a big bill, but if you test negative after it all, the policy won't pay. Like it would be better financially to make sure you get it!