Strong disincentive for many or most expats to get tested for Covid-19

Jingthing

Definitely strong incentive to not get tested under that environment. The do-not-pass-go,-go(????)-directly-to-hospital thing may have been prudent by the gov last year, but being realistic -- if they test properly -- these places will be inundated quickly and will tie up facilities for the needy. I know people won't, but they need to enact self isolating with tracking and potential stiff fines for those that deviate... or people will just not test.

• Like 1

I am aware of a couple of guys who work in BKK and were in a hot spot area.  Word got out of where they had been and other workers insisted they get tested.   They tested positive and were sent home to quarantine.  Then the local health officials showed and they were told they must be in a hospital.  Then the hospital got full, so it was off to a field hospital for them.   Then the field hospital filled up and they were sent to a hotel.  

I am not aware that they are/were very ill, but they are well out of circulation.  They have insurance provided by the employer and the costs are being paid and I assume, but am not positive about the hotel stay.  I doubt they could pay for the hotel.  

They actually have housing that would be easy to quarantine at home with virtually no risk of infecting anyone else, but the Health officials have said 'no'.  

47 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

If I was feeling symptons I would stay home and isolate until after 14 days at minimum unless seriously unwell.

That's a good plan as long as you don't get thirsty, horny or lonely.  Or all of the above.

All kidding aside- if that is your plan, I'd stock up on enough booze, food, Tylenol, and drinking water for 2 weeks, unless you have nearby family that can take care of those needs.  Keep in mind that if you've got it, chances are your spouse will, too.  And don't wait until you get the sniffles before laying in your supplies.

Or, pop the $33 for one of the Covid only insurance plans mentioned by Sheryl.  Just in case.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's a good plan as long as you don't get thirsty, horny or lonely.  Or all of the above.

All kidding aside- if that is your plan, I'd stock up on enough booze, food, Tylenol, and drinking water for 2 weeks, unless you have nearby family that can take care of those needs.  Keep in mind that if you've got it, chances are your spouse will, too.  And don't wait until you get the sniffles before laying in your supplies.

Or, pop the $33 for one of the Covid only insurance plans mentioned by Sheryl.  Just in case.

I like to plan ahead. Us farangs are already implicated just for being dirty farang. On another thread I already mentioned that I questioned shutdown of pool and persuaded management to open pool for limited private access. I would do the insurance too but be mindful of exclusions, restrictions and advance periods. If thought any chance of covid would hunker down and avoid testing with food deliveries.  

Edited by soi3eddie

34 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I would do the insurance too but be mindful of exclusions, restrictions and advance periods. If thought any chance of covid would hunker down and avoid testing with food deliveries.  

It's $33 for the insurance.  I'd risk it.

If they hosed me, I'd at least have $33 worth of story to tell and the satisfaction that I did the right thing.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:04 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Hospitals will be full soon, Bang Lamung already is, so at some point they may be forced to allow self isolation at home. They only have so many field hospitals which will also fill up quickly

Given the potential financial windfall and many hotels being empty, I strongly suspect all farang will be quarantined and fleeced quickly if testing positive. It's a win-win for the hotel industry and the Thai hospital system. 

A lack of field hospitals may allow citizens to self-isolate but economics  dictate that farang will not be granted this choice. 

I cheerfully accept all critiques for being cynical. It comes with age and experience. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Another reason for just keeping enough money for your living expenses here, and the rest in your own country. What you haven't got they can't take.

May be true unless you live in a country printing money so fast that inflation takes your money. 

No easy answer IMO. 

I would like to return to the US with my wife, but I am nervous to get a Covid test in the unlikely event I tested positive. I have no symptoms but could be a false positive or asymptomatic infection. If this were to happen I would be quarantined, shunned at my condo when I returned and miss my flight home. It's a helluva situation.

This is predicated on the belief that regardless of where you are tested if positive it's off to the hospital or some type of ASQ Hotel?

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Given the potential financial windfall and many hotels being empty, I strongly suspect all farang will be quarantined and fleeced quickly if testing positive. It's a win-win for the hotel industry and the Thai hospital system. 

A lack of field hospitals may allow citizens to self-isolate but economics  dictate that farang will not be granted this choice. 

I cheerfully accept all critiques for being cynical. It comes with age and experience. 

I agree with you but a friend told me that he caught Covid last year and he was allowed to isolate at home as no places available in hospital (charge was going to be 5k a day) even with minor symptoms

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree with you but a friend told me that he caught Covid last year and he was allowed to isolate at home as no places available in hospital (charge was going to be 5k a day) even with minor symptoms

Sometimes even cynics are wrong! ???? Glad to hear that he avoided the problem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When my wife's uncle had cataract surgery just before the pandemic started he booked a room and stayed overnight, about 2500 baht. We happened to be at the hospital the same day for my check up and went up to the room to see him. It was a government hospital and room bigger and better than most hotels.