SURVEY: Proposed immigration changes -- enough to save Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Proposed immigration changes -- enough to save Thailand?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to Bloomberg, the Thai government is considering  changes to the 90 day reporting and the regulations on land/property ownership by foreigners.   They believe by doing so, the government will be able to attract skilled workers and retirees with deep pockets.  In your opinion, will this be enough to boost the severely sagging economy?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1213676-finally-some-good-news-thailand-tipped-to-ease-90-day-reporting-for-foreigners/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-12/thailand-mulls-visa-rule-overhaul-to-lure-investment-tourists

There e is a great deal of over legislating in Thailand. Think about this dow America change its immigration policies every year, or the EU? Thailand seems to want to change everything every year....but that is not the way to make things better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

There e is a great deal of over legislating in Thailand. Think about this dow America change its immigration policies every year, or the EU? Thailand seems to want to change everything every year....but that is not the way to make things better.

nothing has changed in tke  last 20 years still 800k retirement and 400k marriage. What has changed is the tightning of the financial rules due to people using others to put up  the funds!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Anyone complaining about the financial requirements & red tape to retire in Thailand for over 50's has got rocks in their head & (or) has never looked at most other countries 

requirements.

On the survey, is structured for replies of a negative nature.

We think we are the only country suffering from this ?

On the 90 day report, it is a pain in the bottom & unnecessary unless address change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure that the 90 day report will be dropped. It wastes the time of the retirees and the immigration officers.

The land purchasing rules will not change. Just imagine a populist politician and/or a military man.

"We are selling Thailand to foreigners now and the foreigners are responsible for the land price going up and out-pricing hard-working Thais".

A sure-fire vote-getter among the populace.

• Like 1

Just now, Pedrogaz said:

Poll title is a bit dramatic, Thailand does not need saving and if it did it would take more than a few retirees to do so.

Also tourists and retirees are different and require different immigration policies.

Current tourist issues are all down to Covid nothing else, despite the decline in Western tourism

Being married and working here i would welcome any about turn on property laws and admit the immigration can be a pain for some, but i think we all know his is not going to happen.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the calculus of change in immigration policy is very helpful.  It isn't about what changes to make, it's about how well the changes are done and how far ahead the government is thinking when planning those changes.  From the survey attached to this post it is clear that those who are familiar with other  national governments do not believe that changes to be brought in by the Prayuth government will be brought in sensibly or well,  and I have to say I think it is probable that Thailand's track record of making change large and small encourages optimism.  To be frank they make a mess of things, and do so repeatedly and habitually.

One of the first thing this government could do to improve their management of the country, is to listen to what people are saying.  At present, it seems that the government believes it has nothing useful to learn from other people, whether or not they are in possession of relevant skills.

The situation in Thailand is not going to get better, until they start to listen.

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I'm sure that the 90 day report will be dropped. It wastes the time of the retirees and the immigration officers.

The land purchasing rules will not change. Just imagine a populist politician and/or a military man.

"We are selling Thailand to foreigners now and the foreigners are responsible for the land price going up and out-pricing hard-working Thais".

A sure-fire vote-getter among the populace.

A start to real estate might be to just allow legal 50 50 ownership.  That would at least give us some protection.  

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 4:07 AM, Scott said:

They believe by doing so, the government will be able to attract skilled workers and retirees with deep pockets

In most cases, “retiree” and “deep pockets” is an oxymoron.

13 hours ago, bobbin said:

You have never been to a Walmart/Costco/insert retail name here..?

No only Big C ,Tesco, Robinsons,Macro,Tops etc.

Edited by mlkik

13 hours ago, bobbin said:

I do realize that the financial requirements have been unchanged in the nearly 20 years since I retired here.... on a 1 year visa.

The financial requirements have not changed, but what about everything else?

• Like 1