Bathroom Ventilation Fan Installation

ChiangMaiLover

Bathroom Ventilation Fan Installation

We are making a new bathroom and need to install a ventilation fan. The bathroom is ground floor, 3mx3m, above the ceiling is the roof.

It seems there are two main kinds of bathroom ventilation: in the wall and ceiling. Debating which to get.

Ceiling ventilation fan has benefits of installation in center of room, so can pull air from all areas of the bathroom. Also it is less obtrusive. The exit vent can have a grill to stop bugs from entering.

The downside of ceiling ventilation seems to be the duct might have moisture/mold accumulate. Also, the motor unit is less accessible.

On the other hand, the wall units are much more direct, basically just a fan in the wall, so more powerful ventilation, and easier to fix.

Downsides of wall fan is that it seems it might be easier for bugs and air pollution to enter.

Any thoughts on which to choose?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 6.57.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 6.57.43 AM.png

Unfortunately my bathroom P-traps were waiting for me when I returned (wondered what they were for the guys said), so installed those water filled P-traps. Did notice that the in-wall fan seemed to suck up the septic smell. Maybe when the P-trap water had evaporated, but don't use the fan any more, problem solved. ???? So just check you aren't creating a smell problem. Apart from that the wall mounted fan worked well. 

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLover said:

We are making a new bathroom and need to install a ventilation fan. The bathroom is ground floor, 3mx3m, above the ceiling is the roof.

It seems there are two main kinds of bathroom ventilation: in the wall and ceiling. Debating which to get.

The kind we got (3 of them) have squirrel cage fans mount into the ceiling and blow out through ductwork.

I have 2 of the cheap wall (in my case window) mounted fans in my paint room and they can clear the overspray and fumes but take time, an hour or more.

The toilet and shower fans are on run on timers and 15 minutes seems to be enough.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Placement is crucial and may dictate which type to buy. You have to think of where the fan will pull the supply air from. For instance if you place a fan next to a window it may just pull air from outside the window and blow it out again thus doing nothing to ventilate the bathroom. Think of which part of the room you want ventilated and position the fan such that the flow of supply air runs across that area.

Edited by canopy