Phuket Opinion: The July 1 dilemma

webfact

1618688239_1-org.jpg

April 1. Photo: MoTs

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has a true dilemma on his hands: push back the deadline for reopening Phuket to vaccinated international tourists to arrive on the island from July 1, or let it stand despite the current climate of fear over the latest COVID-19 outbreak.

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn (left) explains the ‘Phuket Sandbox’ plan at an event in Bangkok on

The report just yesterday explaining that providing the required number of vaccine doses for Phuket to achieve herd immunity by July 1 is they key issue raises far too many questions – and will only give credence to those who have openly criticised the government for its late start in vaccinating its people.

After bungling the call to remove online comments by Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit about the national handling of the mass-vaccination campaign, this is one scenario the current government would need to avoid.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-the-july-1-dilemma-79714.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-18

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

What dilemma? If the number of Covid-19 cases keeps increasing without any credible vaccination program then the tourists are not going to come anyway ...

At the moment there is on Phuket a credible vaccination programme though.

5 hours ago, movsrus said:

Reopening now is ridiculous given the increasing spread of infections. As Phuketshrew notes, there will not be a magic influx of tourists to revive Phuket. Adding another potential source of infections from incoming tourists is futile. 

The government chose to delay inoculations of the population and the result of this decision is their cross to bear.

"The government chose to delay inoculations of the population and the result of this decision is their cross to bear."

Unfortunately it is the people's cross to bear.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

At the moment there is on Phuket a credible vaccination programme though.

Crowding 1000's of people into Saphan Hin stadium with no proper appointment system, no social distancing and hours of waiting for vaccinations is not what I would call a "credible" vaccination program. A few days into this they had to postpone them as people attending this venue were tested positive for Covid-19. image.png.8ab21e272a51573bb4206ae4e5be2f10.png 

• Sad 1

But the ministers all had their shots.   It sure would be revealing to know the onwership of all the fancy hotels and bars.  

Is Phuket going to share the financial gains with all the other tourist destinations and people in Thailand who are not getting shots?  Who may lose a loved one so Phuket can fail in this sandbox?  Reminds me of a childhood sandbox memory.  Me and  Brian made a big hill in the sandbox, then we were both arm pit deep trying to make a joining tunnel, but in one of the last handfuls of sand I pulled out I got a surprise from the neighbors cat.   I can tell you it has led to a lifetime hatred for cats and they have suffered. 

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Crowding 1000's of people into Saphan Hin stadium with no proper appointment system, no social distancing and hours of waiting for vaccinations is not what I would call a "credible" vaccination program. A few days into this they had to postpone them as people attending this venue were tested positive for Covid-19. image.png.8ab21e272a51573bb4206ae4e5be2f10.png 

I know of many Thai who have been vaccinated, and vaccinations will resume again this week. I expect 70 percent to be reached before 1 July.

So yes, a credible vaccination programme.