Life is not a beach...

Brunolem

A door must either be open or shut.

And so does a country, even if its dear leaders would like to have it both ways, as in "open to tourists", but "shut to viruses".

Either live, and sometime die, with viruses, or survive, in between life and death, without viruses.

Tough choice, but isn't life supposed to be tough? the survival of the fittest and all...

Many businesses are facing hard times these days, yet at least one is thriving: the chemical industry.

While elderlies are getting a couple (with more to come) of shots of some experimental "ya" in their arms, in order to repel a pandemic, unemployed young people are investing their government handouts in blue pills of so-called "ya bah", creating some kind of epidemic in the process.

Getting rid of a problem only to be faced with a new one.

Ain't life a bitch?

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

What is it.. you want to live in Brazil. There they live (die) with the virus.

Dont believe the official stats the real deaths are double (was scientific study done shown underreporting of 107%) in the most populous province of Brazil.

So if you want freedom be ready to accept a double death rate maybe more once hospitals cant cope.

Life is ok, it sucks there is a virus but still plenty of things to do. 

Not so much now for the guys who like to drink in bars. They will be moaning th emost.

There may be a few young kids buying drugs but for many thai people, including the young,  the meagre government handouts is the  difference between a meal or no meal. 

As others have said if you want to see what survival of the fittest looks like, i.e. do nothing, then Brazil is somewhere down that track with 1000's dying per day. They are doing something - if nothing is done then the deaths could be much higher.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

You wrongly believe that just because Thailand may open its borders to tourists, that other countries will allow their citizens to come here, and planes will take to the sky to transport them.  This is simply not the case, and the Thai government knows it.

I don't believe anything, I am just stating the current position of the government, eager to open to tourism, yet forced to shut because of the virus.

Otherwise I agree with your statements regarding foreign countries not wanting to let their citizens travel to Thailand...or anywhere else for that matter.

Vaccines won't change anything to that, and there won't be a return to pre-covid times...this is socio-geopolitical issue, much more than a medical one...

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 9:30 AM, Brunolem said:

I am just stating the current position of the government,

What is the position of the Thai government?  What is their path out of covid?

On 4/19/2021 at 9:30 AM, Brunolem said:

Vaccines won't change anything to that,

If the tourists are vaccinated, and the locals of the country they are traveling to are vaccinated, then tourism can start up.  

Currently, we have western countries progressing with vaccinating their citizens, and Thailand do very little.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What is the position of the Thai government?  What is their path out of covid?

If the tourists are vaccinated, and the locals of the country they are traveling to are vaccinated, then tourism can start up.  

Currently, we have western countries progressing with vaccinating their citizens, and Thailand do very little.  

The position of the Thai government appears to be that they want tourists, but only in a zero covid case environment, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

With each passing day, it appears that the vaccines are not working (except maybe in the UK).

The CEO of Pfizer himself is now talking about a third shot because the protection, if any, may not last more than 6 months.

In some of the most vaccinated countries (Chile, Bahreïn...), cases are again on the rise...not a good sign.

Anyway, we will know much more by year end...let's wait and see...

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Life is what you make of it.

What others do I have no control of, so let them do what they want, it is no concern of mine as what I do is no concern to them.

There are the positives in life and the negatives in life, finding the balance is easier than you think, if you focus on the positives, more so than the negatives.

An interesting philosophical point.  I'm not sure what 'balance' actually means .  You live your life, good and bad, positives and negatives, good times, bad times. Perhaps that's what you mean by balance? I just call it 'life'. 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, Brunolem said:

Tough choice, but isn't life supposed to be tough? the survival of the fittest and all...

Life's never been that tough for me.

I admit the first 50 years were a bit dull, but the next 13 years have been party, women, and drugs extraordinaire ....

Not quite sure what this threads all about, but I'm on my second wine cooler so it's probably me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The position of the Thai government appears to be that they want tourists, but only in a zero covid case environment, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

I agree, so what is the Thai government currently doing towards reaching this goal?  It appears to be zero to very little.   

44 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Anyway, we will know much more by year end...let's wait and see...

In my opinion, unless Thailand starts a significant vaccination program by Q3 of 2021, you will be waiting until years end 2022 to wait and see.

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not convinced vaccinations are gonna make any difference to the lockdowns and border closures.

But it's nice you're optimistic about the future.

Of course vaccinations make no difference if this global Vacci-Effort keeps going at this snails pace! Example Africa. Practically no vaccinations have so far taken place. While the Virus keeps mutating (see India).

Surely, if the "wold" would have to triple the production of machine guns, this goal would be achieved within a months time. But to crank out meaningful amounts of vaccines, the "world" is appearantly in a stage of "no can do".

Nothing new that we increasingly live in a perverted world, but this takes the cake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:
On 4/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Life is what you make of it.

What others do I have no control of, so let them do what they want, it is no concern of mine as what I do is no concern to them.

There are the positives in life and the negatives in life, finding the balance is easier than you think, if you focus on the positives, more so than the negatives.

Expand  

An interesting philosophical point.  I'm not sure what 'balance' actually means .  You live your life, good and bad, positives and negatives, good times, bad times. Perhaps that's what you mean by balance? I just call it 'life'. 

To me the "balance" is in the positives as the "negatives" are the ones that take you under the positives, or "balance line" that we all want to be at, or above.

Personally I have maintained a balanced line for the past 5 and a half years since I retired and moved here, the negatives are basically gone, apart from the usual stuff that annoy us here every now and again, the negatives, but remaining focused on the positives, we again find ourselves at the balanced line, or above, because nowhere is perfect and a lot of things are factored into it, work, finances, bosses, governments, cost of living etc, but when retirement comes into it and you are financially secure, most of the negatives are gone because you don't have to work, answer to bosses, and a better cost of living here. That's how I interpret things like the "balance" anyway. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I have had both the Moderna Covid vaccines from the VA Hospital in the USA.

It clearly states in the literature provided the effective date is 6 months only.

This means that long before a majority of the population is vaccinated, those who got their shots early will be back in line for shot number 3, and so on...

One can already imagine the "traffic jams" in a world under constant vaccination.

As soon as you get your shot, please rejoin the end of the line for the next one...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree, so what is the Thai government currently doing towards reaching this goal?  It appears to be zero to very little.   

Like many others, the Thai government has implemented a strategy of extend and pretend.

Pretend that a return to the so-called "normal" is in reach (the mirage of reopening to mass tourism), while giving time to the population to adapt to the so-called "new normal".

The global situation these days is quite similar to what it was in the 1930s...a pandemic with no end has replaced a Great Depression with no end...

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 12:12 AM, BritManToo said:

Life's never been that tough for me.

I admit the first 50 years were a bit dull, but the next 13 years have been party, women, and drugs extraordinaire ....

Not quite sure what this threads all about, but I'm on my second wine cooler so it's probably me.

Seems to be another "let's bash Thailand" thread.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm not convinced vaccinations are gonna make any difference to the lockdowns and border closures.

But it's nice you're optimistic about the future.

Vaccination does not stop you from getting covid, it stops your from getting very sick and possibly dying from covid.  

There will be a covid new normal when around 65% of the world's population have been vaccinated. 

Thailand is just one country of the 195 countries that also have to vaccinate their population.  The longer they take to do so, the longer there will be no tourism here, even after many western countries have moved on from covid.  

On 4/22/2021 at 8:02 PM, swissie said:

Example Africa. Practically no vaccinations have so far taken place. While the Virus keeps mutating (see India).

If Thailand doesn't make a significant start soon, Thailand may end up like many African nations, and a travel ban placed on them, despite western countries being finished with their vaccination programs.  

Thailand could go from locking people out, to the world locking Thailand in.  

On 4/23/2021 at 6:02 AM, Brunolem said:

This means that long before a majority of the population is vaccinated, those who got their shots early will be back in line for shot number 3, and so on...

One can already imagine the "traffic jams" in a world under constant vaccination.

As soon as you get your shot, please rejoin the end of the line for the next one...

If it turns out regular booster shots will be needed, "Covid Clinics" will become a business in every city around the world.  They will be just like a shop where you go and get your covid booster once a year or once every 6 months.  

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2021 at 8:36 AM, Brunolem said:

Like many others, the Thai government has implemented a strategy of extend and pretend.

I agree, but not many of the other countries rely on tourism for 17% of their GDP, except for some small island nations.  

45 minutes ago, Leaver said:

despite western countries being finished with their vaccination programs.  

Far from it!

The US has 84 million fully vaccinated people, roughly a quarter of its population.

Western Europe is far behind that, being as usual stuck with it soviet style bureaucracy in Brussels.

Edited by Brunolem

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Far from it!

The US has 84 million fully vaccinated people, roughly a quarter of its population.

Western Europe is far behind that, being as usual stuck with it soviet style bureaucracy in Brussels.

Thailand, with around 70 million people, has less than 1% of the population vaccinated.

Thailand is one of the wealthiest countries in South East Asia, yet has done very little.     

19 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Far from it!

I don't like slamming the Europeans, even though they seem to mostly have no problem slamming us.

But the numbers are staggering how far they are behind the US in vaccinations, only Hungary comes close, and the UK doesn't count as European anymore.

The US numbers get better everyday, I know my own State has 71% with at least one shot, 33% fully vaccinated, but again every State is different.

Unfortunately life is never going to be a beach again until everyone is vaccinated, and countries like Thailand who do rely on tourism to a certain extent, might need to ramp up vaccinations since it's not just those coming in that need to have had a had but those already in the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

On 4/18/2021 at 4:29 AM, Brunolem said:

Either live, and sometime die, with viruses, or survive, in between life and death, without viruses.

Of course you could always get yourself vaccinated as an alternative. Just a thought.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Why does every post that criticizes the Thai government have to be deemed as a Thai bash?  

Because they are entirely pointless. No matter how much farangs moan about things, NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE. Complaining about anything Thai is like <deleted> into the wind.

Only Thais are going to change Thailand.