Lockdown measure of Phnom Penh and Takhmao tightened

geovalin

The Royal Government tonight issued another decision to tighten the 14-day lockdown measure of Phnom Penh capital and Takhmao town of Kandal province to cut off the COVID-19 transmission chain. According to the new decision, during the lockdown, no one is allowed to leave home. The competent authorities will take strict legal action against the lockdown offenders, and their vehicles will be seized temporarily.

Anyway, there are some exceptions: travel for authorised businesses or work, but with travel permit issued by the national lockdown commission, ID and employment certificate; travel for foods, medicines and other stuff of daily necessities with at most 2 persons per household and not more than three times a week by bringing along respective IDs; and travel for health emergencies, specimen taking for COVID-19 tests, COVID-19 vaccination (2nd dose), etc.

Diplomats, UN staff, personnel of foreign representative offices and international financial institutions as well as journalists are allowed to travel in the lockdown areas, but with their respective IDs, employment certificate, in addition to travel permit issued by the Ministry of Information for journalists.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50840421/lockdown-measure-of-phnom-penh-and-takhmao-tightened/

• Thanks 1

People are posting pleas for help on Facebook because they are stick at home without food. They were not given adequate warning and to everyone can stockpile enough food to get by with only 2-3 trips out a week. Some do not have refrigerators.

And people have posted videos of people being beaten by police for trying to go out to get supplies.

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

People are posting pleas for help on Facebook because they are stick at home without food. They were not given adequate warning and to everyone can stockpile enough food to get by with only 2-3 trips out a week. Some do not have refrigerators.

And people have posted videos of people being beaten by police for trying to go out to get supplies.

It's not hard to buy a 45Kg sack of rice.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Think you missed the point. Sheryl was suggesting, I think, that people are stuck in their homes with little food, yet when they try to venture out they suffer police brutality.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

it is if you are poor.

Many people buy in much smaller quantities, especially those reliant in daily wages.

And government gave little warning this was coming.

The ban on leaving home to buy food (except twice a week and that, not clearly arranged for) is beyond draconian, I don't know of anyplace that has done that except China but the Chinese used the military to bring food to people at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

it is if you are poor.

Many people buy in much smaller quantities, especially those reliant in daily wages.

And government gave little warning this was coming.

The ban on leaving home to buy food (except twice a week and that, not clearly arranged for) is beyond draconian, I don't know of anyplace that has done that except China but the Chinese used the military to bring food to people at home.

And I also hope that they are not planning the same tactics in Thailand

On 4/18/2021 at 10:56 AM, geovalin said:

during the lockdown, no one is allowed to leave home.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:23 PM, Sheryl said:

people being beaten by police for trying to go out to get supplies.

This is my experience living in one of the 3 lockdown Communes in Siem Reap. We are allowed to leave home and travel within the Commune without any hassle, especially for food. There are no padlocks on our front doors or officials checking up!! I can go to the local shops, supermarkets, banks, pharmacies, launderettes and hair dressers, driven around by my regular tuk-tuk driver, but I must wear a face mask and take necessary health measures on entering establishments. There is a curfew from 8pm to 5am.  The problem arises when people want to exit the Commune to go further afield, in my case MAKRO which is out of town. Last Friday my tuk-tuk was stopped at two checkpoints manned by police and Government officials and politely refused further travel.  After discussions in Khmer with my driver, directions regarding a detour were given and we eventually reached the main road (route 6) between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. There were no checkpoints towards MAKRO and I was able to do my shopping and return home via route 6 and side streets in our commune. As to police brutality, whatever may happen in Phnom Penh or elsewhere, I certainly did not experience this in Siem Reap, only courtesy and helpful advice. It was interesting to note that some persons at the checkpoints were not wearing facemasks. 

• Like 2

PP is a lot stricter (Understandably as that is where the problem is largest) .  I have friends sending me videos they film leaning out their windows - completely empty streets full of police and military and the few who venture out being beaten and arrested.

They have said people will be allowed out twice a week to buy food but this has not yet been organized and very unclear how it would be known that someone was on one of these twice weekly food errands.

On positive side it seems they are starting to provide rice handouts etc to the quarantined populace n some areas.

• Thanks 1