School Bullying

lolex

Recently, my nine year old (luuk kreung....half-farang) Thai daughter has started to be 'picked-on' at school. She's coping, but it's not good for her and she intimated to me that she sometimes has to go to the toilets to have a cry, on her own (she doesn't want her antagonists to see her cry).

I gather the bullying is quite frequent.
Picking-on her includes excluding her from the group, teasing, name calling and so on.

As school bullying is an age old problem...I'm thinking that the school should have some strategies to address it. (I'm not an educator so I don't know about these things.) There's a lot of anti-bullying work being done in Australia at present.

So I thought I'd write to the head teacher and tell them it's happening and ask them if they have strategies to address it. (It's a good middle- range English Programme school - some farangs but mostly Thai) I don't want to make things worse for my daughter though.

Has anyone else has run into this problem?  And do you have any useful suggestions on how to deal with it. I will be very grateful for your insights.

[ Please see this Bangkok Post article....it's a serious problem in Thailand, as well as worldwide.]
<<<<Link to Bangkok Post removed>>>>

Some posts advocating violence and the replies have been removed.

The link to the Bangkok Post article has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Where are you and what type of school? This could make a difference. Mine in the youngest year of Prathom got a little here and there. Kids copy their parents foul mouths and racist brains. Talk to the teacher may be a best good thing to do. When my kids were young we did infact talk to the teacher and it did seem to help. Later years in Mathayom get better.

I feel sad for your daughter... and I would include her in any decision about what to do... though you can take the leading role.. 

Kids can be cruel though I think everyone I know got teased about something it should not get carried too far.

Good luck. 

Yes, bullying is an age old problem that in my opinion is impossible to fix. If I was being bullied and heard that my parents were going to turn up to the school and complain, I would be mortified. The news would get out about it and would be heard by all.........including the bullies, which would only add petrol to the fire.

Throughout life you are always going to run in to bullies, therefore, trying to change the behaviour of each bully is futile. The trick is to change yourself and how you react to bullies. 

• Like 1

you haven't told me enough to say it's bad.  seems normal, per initial post.

i would encourage her to start a hobby.  get good at something she can do by herself.  run, swim, draw.... whatever.

then join a team or club.  

first you love yourself.  confidence is fine.  then you can fall back on your confidence.  then involve others.  

i was a bully when i was younger, and i got bullied sometimes as well.  boy vs. boy stuff.  wrestle, whatever......so long ago i don't remember.  and in my high school it was all sport "smack talk".  

good luck

Extremely interesting subject. After having lived in Saudi for 13 years we have just moved to Thailand and I was a bit worried about my daughter fitting in at a new school (English Programe).  I have regular chats with her to see what's going on and all seems fine at the moment and she is fitting in.

This wasn't always the case. She was extremely shy when she was young and I noticed straight away that some of the other kids would push her out of the way etc. Someone mentioned earlier about Martial Arts and although I'm not a qualified bullying expert, I can attest to this style worked for us. The only martial arts class near us was Tae Kwon Do and so she enrolled, she took to it straight away, met new friends and ended up getting her junior black belt before we moved here. She doesn't go around bullying but what it gave her was confidence in herself and confidence to not be pushed around. You can see it in the way they walk, talk and hold themselves when they get their confidence back. Maybe worth a try

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, bullying is an age old problem that in my opinion is impossible to fix. If I was being bullied and heard that my parents were going to turn up to the school and complain, I would be mortified. The news would get out about it and would be heard by all.........including the bullies, which would only add petrol to the fire.

Throughout life you are always going to run in to bullies, therefore, trying to change the behaviour of each bully is futile. The trick is to change yourself and how you react to bullies. 

Excellent post. The bullied need to find the mental resources to stand up to the bullies. It is a life long problem if you don't learn how to sort it out. 

in Australia I taught my daughter how to punch properly with power, she laid out one girl that was bullying her and no one ever bullied her again, when the school contacted me about it I told them that after we had notified them it was happening they did nothing  and it kept happening so I taught her to defend herself. This girl kept walking on her heels making her shoes start to come off and trying to trip her up while calling her various names etc(along with her friends as groups seem to think they are better), my daughter turned around and laid her out with one solid punch, her friends sh*t themselves and took off, sometimes force is the only thing these idiots understand. If the teachers wont do anything you can always get your daughter to point out the ones doing it and talk to their parents.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kinok Powell said:

Rock hard.

Truth. I went to an inner city primary school in Glasgow. Most of the kids were poor and underprivileged. Having a nice chat or talking to the teacher doesn’t quite cut it. 

Bullies follow the path of least resistance, and they have acolytes and followers who join in if they think you are soft and offer no response. Violence in school follows the Olympic Games ideals ... it’s not the winning and losing that counts, it’s the taking part. And if you’re prepared to stand up for yourself, the problem will go away. 

Scoff all you like.

Edited by AlexRich

On 4/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, metisdead said:

Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Good to know. I'm sure it's in the rules, but many of us forget.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, Ventenio said:

you haven't told me enough to say it's bad.  seems normal, per initial post.

i would encourage her to start a hobby.  get good at something she can do by herself.  run, swim, draw.... whatever.

then join a team or club.  

first you love yourself.  confidence is fine.  then you can fall back on your confidence.  then involve others.  

i was a bully when i was younger, and i got bullied sometimes as well.  boy vs. boy stuff.  wrestle, whatever......so long ago i don't remember.  and in my high school it was all sport "smack talk".  

good luck

I agree 100%
My wife took on her 8yr old niece. She was born with crossed eyes and wears these big glasses.

She is as meek and shy as they come

When my wife took her in, she was 26 out of 29 in class

We asked her what she was interested in, did she want to play an instrument, dance, etc....

She asked if she could take swimming classes, we got her into that and her confidence has soared........

She is now 12 out of 29 in school...............all through having a bit more confidence

• Like 1