"Conversations" on Tinder

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Going to the meat market to buy a loaf of bread then.

In any event, why not try to start a conversation rather than conducting an interview? 

Perhaps because he

...ask[s] many questions and never get[s] asked any in response. 

?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Going to the meat market to buy a loaf of bread then.

In any event, why not try to start a conversation rather than conducting an interview? 

How does one converse, absent of questions, without talking soley about oneself or one's interests? 

Teach me the art if conversation, sagacious one. 

Edited by Nick in Thailand
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nick in Thailand said:

How does one converse, absent of questions, without talking soley about oneself or one's interests? 

Teach me the art if conversation, sagacious one. 

The question can be - tell me about yourself, what do you enjoy doing? ask about their family... things that might be important to them - you can learn a lot that way

Say thing that will get them talking... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Totally understand.  It’s the same on all online dating sites (and with many women that you meet IRL and subsequently add to line).  Your description of it being like an interview are spot on.

First, there are the questions that they ask you...

1.  “What you do?”   The basic financial qualifier.  Every single one will ask this.

2. “How long you live Thailand?”  This one can be tricky and can sometimes be prefaced with “You live Thailand?”.  I find that in general, the longer you have lived here, the more negative their impression will be.  It can either be that you have already had previous Thai girlfriends that will reappear in the future, only to cause problems and bring drama and the potential for you to leave them and go back to the “ex”....or it can also be a case of “Farang roo mak, mai dee”....you know too much and they won’t be able to play their games.

3.  “You have Thai gf/wife?”   Here, they want to know if you are either A.  Cheating on someone and they are only a side fling (like a cheater will actually come out and say “yes!  I have a Thai wife/gf).  B.  Might already have children with another Thai woman.  C. Refer to #2 and “Farang roo mak, mai dee”

4. “Where you come from?”  Thai women know all about the visa/divorce laws of your country.  It is discussed at length on their forum.  (Ladyinter).  You have to be able to read Thai.

4. “Why you live Thailand”.  Being that they have no idea of the concept of affordable healthcare/rents/etc. as they really don’t know what the cost of living is in your country (and aren’t really interested unless it is how much their favorite Thai food costs), they really just want to know....are you here for the women.   This question may or may not be followed up with “You like Thai lady?”

Usually, these first 4 questions will be answered with “I see” and little more.  There will not be much in the way of follow up questions.  

Even if you have already addressed these topics in your profile, they will still ask them.  You didn’t actually expect them to read your profile did you?  Most likely they didn’t.

They will never ask you about your hobbies, interests, hopes and dreams.  They aren’t interested in your plans for the future either....they have their own.

Your questions, no matter how benign will be either A.  Completely ignored...like you didn’t even ask it.  or B.  Viewed with some amount of suspicion with a reply such as “Why you want to know?”.  

Any answers that they do give will be vague at best, and if you attempt any sort of follow up question in order to have them elaborate on their original answer, it will be ignored or just answered with a smiley or laughing emoji.

There is no small talk.  No back and forth where a conversation actually progresses.  Of course, that makes you wonder what they gab about for 5 minutes with whatever Thai person (even complete strangers) whom they may interact with on a daily basis.

If you have passed the original interview, on subsequent days, you can expect in depth questions such as “how are you today?” or “have you eaten yet?”.   They might sometimes ask “what did you do/eat today?”  And on occasion, even follow up with “sanook mai?” (Was it fun) or “aroi mai?” (Was it delicious?).

If you progress from the online dating platform to Line, you will then get lots of cute “stickers” but usually not much else other than the obligatory “good morning” or, if it’s nighttime... “I home now, take shower and sleep ka”.

Enjoy! ???? 

Oh dear. Well, I have found one absolute treasure, in my eyes. She dresses conservatively, she is a nurse bit she has an unorthodox beauty to her. 

I'm on question 10 now, she has only asked "what job you do?" I'm a teacher but I also run a small fintech business from home (Australia) , so I don't think my profession is off-putting. 

I don't want to give this one up. I'm so, so picky. I have about 200 girls I don't like back on Tinder. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Quite often, the answers will be...

Q:  Tell me about yourself.

A:  What you want to know?

Q:  What do you enjoy doing

A:  usually won’t get much of an answer.  They play Facebook, Instagram, TikTok etc when they aren’t working their typical 70 hour workweeks.  Their days off they sleep, eat and maybe watch TV.

Q:  Tell me about your family

A:  Why you want to know about my family?

At least that’s been my experience (in general)

How does one find a meaningful relationship amongst these, I hate the expression, NPCs? 

38 minutes ago, Airalee said:

like a cheater will actually come out and say “yes!  I have a Thai wife/gf

A smart cheater certainly would. Less risk of winding up with a vengeful psycho if they manage expectations from the beginning...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Nick in Thailand said:

What a poor devil you are, drowning in misanthropy and cynicism.

One cannot merely assume that every young lady is wicked and sinful. I should hope you do not cast such eyes upon your mother. 

If you aren't looking for a sex worker try thaicupid instead, better chance than Tinder and thaifriendly. On those the girls don't want to waste time with chit chat with falang unless they want to improve their English in which case it's a waste of time for the guy

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Q:  Tell me about your family

A:  Why you want to know about my family?

At least that’s been my experience (in general)

Ok. My experience is in person and I find Thai open up very quickly when you show an interest in what they are interested in, which to a great extent is family... I have never been on a dating cite... perhaps if the OP just asked - How Much? He might get more enthusiastic responses... 

• Like 1