I just drove 560km on a full tank of Shell v power 95 gasoline. Is this economical? Whats the diff between 95 and 91?

I confess to knowing very little about cars apart from turning it on and driving it. 

I purchased a high end 'luxury' car recently. Its a hybrid vechile but only gets around 30km after a full re-charge which I think is a bit of a joke...

Anyways, to save having to charge it everyday I switch to 'power' mode which essentially utilizes the petrol engine and not the hybrid battery. I checked how many clicks I get on a full tank and it was 560km. Is this economical? How many km do you get on a full tank of your car?

I recently filled up but forget to see how many litres of petrol it was but will check this again next time. It cost me 2000 baht to fill up with Shell V power 95 gasohol. If I instead use a cheaper 'Shell fuel save Gasohol 91' will this damage the engine at all long term or does it just mean the engine will not perform as well? Whats the point of paying for the more expensive V power when I know I will sell the car in 2 to 3 yrs and upgrade or change model?

thanks

Our not high end, not hybrid vehicle goes 700km or so on a tank before the light comes on, it's never cost anything like 2,000 Baht to fill it up.

It also has a computer to tell me how far per litre it's going on average, I'm sure yours does too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No point, you are just wasting money. But some claim they people can "feel" the difference

Not sure about petrol, I’ve always hated petrol. But in diesel there’s a huge difference between buying normal and premium Diesel. Not in the power, but in the amount of carbon build up in the engine and EGR valve as well as fuel consumption. 

I would imagine the same happens with petrol.

14 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

Not sure about petrol, I’ve always hated petrol. But in diesel there’s a huge difference between buying normal and premium Diesel. Not in the power, but in the amount of carbon build up in the engine and EGR valve as well as fuel consumption. 

I would imagine the same happens with petrol.

Depends how late the diesel engine design is.

Our PTT garage just sells diesel and diesel B7. 

There was a much cheaper one B20 but many in our area didn't have diesel engines that could use it,   it didn't sell enough so they did away with it. 

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends how late the diesel engine design is.

Our PTT garage just sells diesel and diesel B7. 

There was a much cheaper one B20 but many in our area didn't have diesel engines that could use it,   it didn't sell enough so they did away with it. 

Mercedes CDI Diesel engine.

I use Bangchak fuel, and to this particular engine I’ve found out the difference between Bangchak B7 (regular diesel) and Bangchak B7S Premium (premium diesel) is huge. On the short term you notice it on fuel consumption as I said. I average 8.4l/100km with premium diesel and around 8.7l/100km with regular diesel. 

On the long term you notice it on the services, the amount of carbon build up in the EGR is way less!

Edited by expatjustice

18 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

Mercedes CDI Diesel engine.

I use Bangchak fuel, and to this particular engine I’ve found out the difference between Bangchak B7 (regular diesel) and Bangchak B7S Premium (premium diesel) is huge. On the short term you notice it on fuel consumption as I said. I average 8.4l/100km with premium diesel and around 8.7l/100km with regular diesel. 

On the long term you notice it on the services, the amount of carbon build up in the EGR is way less!

Never had trouble with our diesel  3.0L Vigo from new in nearly 7 years, the Isuzu is just over 3 years old and just showing up for the diesel filter to be changed. 

The EGR is not on any service schedules from what I can see unless Thais have a different name for it. 

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Warning Will robinson, Warning!!

The recent rebrand at PTT means that what was "diesel" is now labelled as "B7" and what is now labelled as "diesel" is actually B10. There is also a premium diesel which I understand is also B7 (could be wrong there, never use the stuff).

B20 is still available "out back" on the truck pumps.

The late Isuzu 1.9 turbo diesel engine can use B10 or B20 so as long said our PTT only has 2 now and I use the cheapest which is just stated as 'diesel'.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The capacity of the fuel tank would also help.

2000b fill up @ 34.14b/l (today's price) is 58lt.

Friend new E-Class hybrid has a 60lt tank, he says its not good on fuel once the battery is flat.... something like 30mpg, so not all that far off from what the OP states..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

Not really. Like I said, the biggest improvement is less carbon build up in the engines = better performance = less maintenance. 

What would be more pathetic is buying a Mercedes and using regular diesel because it’s 4THB cheaper per liter while being aware that it it is worse for the engine… 

I shall have to consult with Sir Lewis about that, ask what he uses !  LOL

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

He uses rocket fuel! That’s why the others can only as much as follow him lol! 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never had trouble with our diesel  3.0L Vigo from new in nearly 7 years, the Isuzu is just over 3 years old and just showing up for the diesel filter to be changed. 

The EGR is not on any service schedules from what I can see unless Thais have a different name for it. 

Blocked the e.g.r no problems no carbon build up some diesels it can be done electronically

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You may be able to use an even cheaper fuel if it's a late car E20 or E85 are cheaper. 

My Avanza Model 2014 is running perfectly well on E20 and is at Odometer 115000 km now. Still going strong.

As mentioned above, any recent car has a fuel consumption gauge. Based on the information you give you get about 9.5/liter. Whether that is good or not depends on what car you have and your driving style. As for using other fuel or mixed use (gasohol 91/95), what does the carmaker advise? Using the wrong fuel could mean that any engine damage is not covered by the warranty. It is unlikely that using gasohol 91 will result in serious engine trouble within the period you think you will keep the car, as long as you stick to known fuel brands and alternately use 91/95. 

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The Shell V Power 95 is a rip off, it's well documented, go to PTT where it's much cheaper.

Gasohol 95 is about 25 baht, V Power 35 baht a litre

Are fuel prices not the same all over and for all companies?

• Haha 1